Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking a Sapphire 7950 OC Edition

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 1:29:34 PM

I've been trying to overclock my Sapphire 7950 OC edition with no luck at all. Even a small 100mhz increase seems to cause the card to be unstable, eventually freezing and forcing me to reboot. I have tried overclocking thru CCC and thru Trixx and get the same results each time, lock up and freeze. I have tried the power slider in CCC to increase the power by 20% but this didnt seem to help either. Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try. How do I do a voltage increase, was hoping to avoid this but am willing to give it a shot. Also, the card is listed as being a dual bios card, how do I go about accessing the second bios? In trixx there is also a check box for ULPS, I heard this needs to be check for overclocking but I have no clue what this is.
May 11, 2012 7:38:43 PM

AdioKIP said:
I've been trying to overclock my Sapphire 7950 OC edition with no luck at all. Even a small 100mhz increase seems to cause the card to be unstable, eventually freezing and forcing me to reboot. I have tried overclocking thru CCC and thru Trixx and get the same results each time, lock up and freeze. I have tried the power slider in CCC to increase the power by 20% but this didnt seem to help either. Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try. How do I do a voltage increase, was hoping to avoid this but am willing to give it a shot. Also, the card is listed as being a dual bios card, how do I go about accessing the second bios? In trixx there is also a check box for ULPS, I heard this needs to be check for overclocking but I have no clue what this is.

While I know it's not much... well any help to you, I'm having the exact same problem. Stable until I try to boost it even a little in Trixx and it'll blackscreen, brownscreen or greenscreen after a few minutes of gameplay and I'll reboot. Luckily the game I'm prepping for comes out in about a month, so this could be more stressful, but I'd love to get it resolved soon (like you I'm sure). Anyone got some help with this, we'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance. ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2012 8:00:50 PM

I figured it out, it was the voltage. The Sapphire 7950 OC edition by default has a low voltage (.993 volts) compared to most other 7950's at 1.093 volts. I still couldnt get a stable overclock at the 7950 stock voltage, but as soon as I went up to the 7970 stock voltage of 1.174 I got the card stable overclocked to 1000 / 1375. Not an aggressive overclock but it was pretty much my goal when I got the card to be able to match a stock 7970. I'm sure i could push it further since I'm only hitting 70 degrees or so tops but I'm happy with it as is. To up the voltage you'll need to use Sapphires Trixx Software. Make sure you have the latest version since this is the first one to allow voltage changes on the 7950.

and of course, standard disclaimer, everyone be warned changing voltages can damage your card so do it at your own risk.
m
l
!