Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ivy bridge or wait till haswell

Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 10:32:47 PM

I currently have an fx 4100 with a below cheap motherboard. Should I switch to ivy bridge. Or wait for haswell. If I were to switch to ivy bridge I would get an i3. I know the i3 is about the same as the 4100 but it would allow me to upgrade to an i5. So should I wait for haswell while using my 4100 or switch over to an ib i3 and eventually an i5?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 10:38:04 PM

Honestly its best if you just wait it out with the FX-4100 if performance is not too bad for you right now. Or just save up money for an i5 instead of jumping to i3 and then i5 which is a waste of money in a way. Also I don't think Intel has revealed any percentages of how much better the Haswell series will be so for all I know there can very little performance gain from the Ivy bridge.
m
0
l
a c 98 à CPUs
a c 86 V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 10:40:07 PM

Sure, the i3 would allow you to upgrade to an i5... but an ivy bridge i5. If you stick with the FX 4100 a while longer you'll be able to upgrade to a Haswell i5.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 98 à CPUs
a c 86 V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 10:59:08 PM

socialfox said:
Honestly its best if you just wait it out with the FX-4100 if performance is not too bad for you right now. Or just save up money for an i5 instead of jumping to i3 and then i5 which is a waste of money in a way. Also I don't think Intel has revealed any percentages of how much better the Haswell series will be so for all I know there can very little performance gain from the Ivy bridge.

Well, I still think you can safely assume Haswell will be better than Ivy Bridge. Outright performance regression is very rare, which is why Bulldozer (which was outdone by its predecessors in some circumstances) was ridiculed by more than a few people. Even status quo would be a big disappointment.

And spending money on an ivy bridge i3 now and an ivy bridge i5 later will cost more and provide same or worse performance both now and in the future compared to waiting for haswell and getting an i5.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 11:02:25 PM

Glad we got the i3 and i5 switcheroo on the same page, anyways yes there will be a performance upgrade from the haswell but you can also assume that they may specialize this time in power consumption? Try to think they will develop a new line of processors that use less watts. It's all fair game right now, we're just going to have to wait until they do release some information about the haswell.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 11:10:27 PM

I would wait for the moment. You should be able to get by with the FX-4100. If your mobo allows you to overclocked the CPU, then do so.

So far it is unknown what the perform of Haswell will be. Some say it will be between 10% - 20%. But I think it will be less than 10% because Intel is going to focus on decreasing power consumption 1st before worrying about increasing performance which will come when Broadwell is released in 2014.
m
0
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 11:15:51 PM

jaguarskx said:
So far it is unknown what the perform of Haswell will be. Some say it will be between 10% - 20%. But I think it will be less than 10% because Intel is going to focus on decreasing power consumption 1st before worrying about increasing performance which will come when Broadwell is released in 2014.


Agreed. I just have a gut feeling that Broadwell will be the next "killer" "must have" generation, not really Haswell.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2012 11:37:43 PM

I think I'll just save up and get an ivy bridge i5. It should easily be enough for gaming until broadwell. and it's only about 70 bucks more than an i3 so if I think it's worth it to spend an extra 70 on an i5.

(I'm guessing that haswell won't be a major must have generation considering it is said to use the 22nm process which is what the current IB's have now.)

So i'm guessing that haswell will be a tick of Ivy. and broadwell will be a tock of haswell.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:00:11 AM

The won't get you far.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:02:45 AM

I think it will last me a good two years at least. I only use it for gaming. Only a small portion of my games are cpu intensive so I think it will be worth it.
m
0
l
a c 98 à CPUs
a c 86 V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:03:36 AM

Quote:
I think I'll just save up and get an ivy bridge i5. It should easily be enough for gaming until broadwell. and it's only about 70 bucks more than an i3 so if I think it's worth it to spend an extra 70 on an i5.

(I'm guessing that haswell won't be a major must have generation considering it is said to use the 22nm process which is what the current IB's have now.)

So i'm guessing that haswell will be a tick of Ivy. and broadwell will be a tock of haswell.

Actually, that Haswell isn't a die shrink means you would usually expect a larger performance improvement. For examply, Sandy Bridge was a big improvement staying at 32 nm (like Westmere) while Ivy Bridge was only a minor improvement stepping down to 22 nm.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:04:30 AM

I hear Ivy Bridges run hot when you start to tinker with the voltages compared to Sandy bridge CPUs.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:08:10 AM

socialfox said:
I hear Ivy Bridges run hot when you start to tinker with the voltages compared to Sandy bridge CPUs.

I hear you hear.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:11:56 AM

melikepie said:
I hear you hear.


Can I have a jaffa cake? :lol: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:20:26 AM

The Ivy bridge or wait till haswell topic :lol: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:23:13 AM

socialfox said:
The Ivy bridge or wait till haswell topic :lol: 

I though this was the jaffa cake/pie forum?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:25:16 AM

Nope this is tom's hardware, an authority of technology. However this thread here is for Jaffa Cake appreciation:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=194858...

Anyways I believe we are bugging everyone else with notifications on this thread with our Jaffa cake talk :lol: 
So I think we should stop this......or urge Tom's to make a sub section just for jaffa cakes. Anyways nice talking to you :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:34:24 AM

Where should I email them about a section for that?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 12:35:49 AM

I actually don't know, I was joking around about urging them to make one..... :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:36:21 AM

I think it would be a great section.
As you said bye!
m
0
l
!