Ivy bridge or wait till haswell

G

I currently have an fx 4100 with a below cheap motherboard. Should I switch to ivy bridge. Or wait for haswell. If I were to switch to ivy bridge I would get an i3. I know the i3 is about the same as the 4100 but it would allow me to upgrade to an i5. So should I wait for haswell while using my 4100 or switch over to an ib i3 and eventually an i5?

socialfox

Distinguished
Honestly its best if you just wait it out with the FX-4100 if performance is not too bad for you right now. Or just save up money for an i5 instead of jumping to i3 and then i5 which is a waste of money in a way. Also I don't think Intel has revealed any percentages of how much better the Haswell series will be so for all I know there can very little performance gain from the Ivy bridge.

Well, I still think you can safely assume Haswell will be better than Ivy Bridge. Outright performance regression is very rare, which is why Bulldozer (which was outdone by its predecessors in some circumstances) was ridiculed by more than a few people. Even status quo would be a big disappointment.

And spending money on an ivy bridge i3 now and an ivy bridge i5 later will cost more and provide same or worse performance both now and in the future compared to waiting for haswell and getting an i5.

socialfox

Distinguished
Glad we got the i3 and i5 switcheroo on the same page, anyways yes there will be a performance upgrade from the haswell but you can also assume that they may specialize this time in power consumption? Try to think they will develop a new line of processors that use less watts. It's all fair game right now, we're just going to have to wait until they do release some information about the haswell.

I would wait for the moment. You should be able to get by with the FX-4100. If your mobo allows you to overclocked the CPU, then do so.

So far it is unknown what the perform of Haswell will be. Some say it will be between 10% - 20%. But I think it will be less than 10% because Intel is going to focus on decreasing power consumption 1st before worrying about increasing performance which will come when Broadwell is released in 2014.

Agreed. I just have a gut feeling that Broadwell will be the next "killer" "must have" generation, not really Haswell.

G

I think I'll just save up and get an ivy bridge i5. It should easily be enough for gaming until broadwell. and it's only about 70 bucks more than an i3 so if I think it's worth it to spend an extra 70 on an i5.

(I'm guessing that haswell won't be a major must have generation considering it is said to use the 22nm process which is what the current IB's have now.)

So i'm guessing that haswell will be a tick of Ivy. and broadwell will be a tock of haswell.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
The
The-old-bridge.jpg
won't get you far.

G

I think it will last me a good two years at least. I only use it for gaming. Only a small portion of my games are cpu intensive so I think it will be worth it.

I think I'll just save up and get an ivy bridge i5. It should easily be enough for gaming until broadwell. and it's only about 70 bucks more than an i3 so if I think it's worth it to spend an extra 70 on an i5.

(I'm guessing that haswell won't be a major must have generation considering it is said to use the 22nm process which is what the current IB's have now.)

So i'm guessing that haswell will be a tick of Ivy. and broadwell will be a tock of haswell.
Actually, that Haswell isn't a die shrink means you would usually expect a larger performance improvement. For examply, Sandy Bridge was a big improvement staying at 32 nm (like Westmere) while Ivy Bridge was only a minor improvement stepping down to 22 nm.