Sign in with
Your question

Do You Think Another CPU Company Will Come?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs

Do You Think Another CPU Company Will Ever Come?

Total: 45 votes (2 blank votes)

• Yep
  • 19 %
  • Maybe
  • 21 %
  • No
  • 33 %
  • idk i was promised a cake?
  • 28 %
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:17:34 AM

Like IBM, do you think they still have a chance?

More about : cpu company

a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:32:31 AM

melikepie said:
Like IBM, do you think they still have a chance?

IBM is bigger than Intel. They still make server CPUs.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:35:54 AM

Cazalan said:
IBM is bigger than Intel. They still make server CPUs.

How are they bigger? Wait if they are bigger.... how big is AMD?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:47:39 AM

melikepie said:

IBM is a 210 billion company
Intel is a 100 billion company
AMD is a 1.45 billion company

a c 283 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 12:48:46 AM

melikepie said:

IBM is in a completely different league than Intel and AMD altogether.

To use a very rough estimate, it would go like this: IBM >>>>>>>>> Intel >>>>>>>>>> AMD (For those mentioned here, anyway. Texas Instruments and other companies are right up there close to, if not even with, AMD, too).
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 4:39:30 AM

Graphine, did we forget, this potential. were getting there one transistor made :) 
November 12, 2012 4:44:50 AM

IBM makes, or is planning to introduce a 5.5Ghz processor - awesome, except they don't make stuff for us lowly consumers, only enterprise-grade server hardware for huge data centers and the like.

Apple is talking about maybe making their own chips again - I wonder if they are going to go back to collaborating with IBM and make a new version of the "Power PC" chip - lol.
November 12, 2012 4:52:33 AM

If intel can manage a monopoly like some people think, as unlikely as it is, won't uncle sam come in and split it up like it did with the phone companies? Make Intel compete against itself?
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 4:58:47 AM

jossrik said:
If intel can manage a monopoly like some people think, as unlikely as it is, won't uncle sam come in and split it up like it did with the phone companies? Make Intel compete against itself?

It's reached the point where I would like to see this happen. Competition from AMD is just so weak :(  .
a c 186 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:34:27 AM

Qualcomm
Nvidia
ARM
etc....
a c 186 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:35:26 AM

AMD at this point is pretty much dead...
a c 146 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:40:53 AM

anxiousinfusion said:
It's reached the point where I would like to see this happen. Competition from AMD is just so weak :(  .

I agree. That seems like about the only way we are going to have any real competition again.
November 12, 2012 11:00:52 AM

It is still possible that AMD returns in the race. Especially if the whole return GPU in CPU works. If they are able to link the CPU and GPU close enough, there will be a great speedup for most of the tasks people use more than two cores for. And it will still be fast enough for regular stuff.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 11:03:37 AM

Question: Are we refering to CPU's in general, or just X86 CPU's?

BIG difference between the two.
a c 116 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 11:29:59 AM

In the high end server space there is IBM, Intel and AMD and in the lower end (mobile phones, tablets) there is ARM, Nvidia, Intel, AMD and some others fighting it out.
For desktop systems (which I assume we are talking about) its just AMD and Intel (with possibly Apple making their own eventually).
Definitely need to see some more competition in the desktop space, if Intel gains a monopoly, can only see bad things ahead.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 11:42:46 AM

There will be another i am currently building cpu's they blow intel and amd cpu's away hands down i win lol joking!I honestly don't think there will be but you never know.
November 12, 2012 5:24:46 PM

Anyone remember Cyrix? Back in the 486 era there were three main consumer CPU manufacturers, Cyrix, AMD & Intel.

The market is always open to newcomers. Could there be, sure. Will there be, who knows. Competition is always welcomed.
a c 478 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:39:53 PM

Since Apple is dropping Intel, they will be designing their own CPU similar to what they are currently doing now with the iPad; it will be based on ARM. Apple computers will still continue to use Intel CPUs until their ARM CPU is ready for prime time which will likely be in a few years. Therefore, Apple will be the third CPU manufacture with a global reach.

IBM wants nothing to do with the consumer market. They have a very focused strategy that basically only encompasses the "enterprise sector". IBM sold off their PC & laptop division back in 2005 or 2006. In 2009 they cancel development of the cell processor used in Sony's PS3.

Other than Apple, there won't be another player in the consumer CPU arena. The barrier is too high and the market is slowing down. There simply is not enough room for another player. VIA still makes x86 CPUs mostly for embedded applications and low cost PCs sold in Asia. They don't have the resources to spend on R&D to even be a value end player in the US and Europe.

The new growth market is the tablet and smartphone segment which all use ARM based processors. Even that market is very competitive. The two biggest players are nVidia and Qualcomm; Samsung is up there as well since they design the ARM processor for iPads and phones as well. Texas Instruments was a 4th player, but they decided to exit out of that segment; they believe the profit margins are too small for them to bother with. They are currently in talks with Amazon to sell the business.

BTW, the processors used in mobile devices are known as SoC; System on Chip. Qualcomm is the definitive leader.

a c 186 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:46:40 PM

braincruser said:
It is still possible that AMD returns in the race. Especially if the whole return GPU in CPU works. If they are able to link the CPU and GPU close enough, there will be a great speedup for most of the tasks people use more than two cores for. And it will still be fast enough for regular stuff.

They've only got less than 100 people in the US working....
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:56:30 PM

There are already a lot of CPU manufacturers.

Apple makes chips for thier ipad and iphones, They are toying with the idea of making higher end chips for their desktops. Nvidia makes processors for mobile devices and some computing clusters. They'd like to get more into the datacenter ARM makes small power efficient processors for mobile and devices. IBM makes processors for big mainframes and midrange systems. There are other small/specialized chip makers I haven't mentioned.

The interesting thing is that devices are converging. Tablets are outselling budget desktops and laptops lately. Phones are the #1 computing device now. Windows is being transitioned to a mobile OS. It may end up that ARM and Nvidia end up being the top chip makers in the world as PC usage shrinks or stagnates.

Will there be another big x86 player? Probably not. But the question in my mind is will the old intel x86 architecture be a big factor in 10 years? I don't know.

(Edit: seems I repeated a lot of the same ideas as Jaguar above, but that just proves we are both really smart :)  )
a c 186 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:57:30 PM

Well, they design the chips....otherwise they're made by Samsung.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 6:00:55 PM

Who? Apple? Yeah on closer inspection it is similar to most Apple products, "Designed in Silicon Valley, Manufactured by lowest bidder"

a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 6:37:12 PM

VIA is going to make a comeback by the end of the year and take 80% of the market!
November 12, 2012 6:44:25 PM

Apple making their own CPUs can't be good. They already sell less than the best intel chips and charge too much. Their CPU would probably be the equivalent of a pentium, but they would tout it as the best processor ever! :-)
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 6:58:47 PM

esrever said:
VIA is going to make a comeback by the end of the year and take 80% of the market!

I know their chips aren't designed with higher end consumer electronics in mind but it would certainly be fun to see what one of these ( http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/quadcore/i... ) is capable of. I could understand getting an embedded CPU-mITX board for a home theater PC.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 7:13:21 PM

Those new VIA quadcores are basically on par with the AMD A4-3300M. So, not bad for general web/office tasks or even some streaming video.

a c 146 à CPUs
November 12, 2012 11:24:15 PM

jossrik said:

Also as for the telephone thing I think you are refering to the United States v. AT&T, where the the U.S. Department of Justice sued American Telephone & Telegraph Company (AT&T). They ended up breaking the company up into three different companies the new AT&T, Verizon, and Century Link. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen if AMD can't do anything, like I said earlier it would give us some real competiton.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 11:25:23 PM

rds1220 said:
Also as for the telephone thing I think you are reffering to the United States v. AT&T, where the the U.S. Department of Justice antitrust sued American Telephone & Telegraph Company (AT&T). They ended up breaking up the company into three different companies the new AT&T, Verizon, and Century Link. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen if AMD can't do anything, like I said earlier it would give us some real competiton.

Is it just me or would it be confusing having a bunch of CPU companys?
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 2:32:08 AM

melikepie said:

Take a look at the rest of the hardware industry. CPUs are the only component dominated by so few companies. In the HDD business we saw larger manufacturers buy up and absorb smaller ones several times until we have what we see today. If that same behavior existed in the CPU business, companies like IBM or Samsung would probably have already absorbed AMD, Texas Instrument, VIA and such.
a c 133 à CPUs
November 13, 2012 3:24:48 AM

manofchalk said:
In the high end server space there is IBM, Intel and AMD and in the lower end (mobile phones, tablets) there is ARM, Nvidia, Intel, AMD and some others fighting it out.

In the server space, there is also Ultraspark T2/3/4 from Sun/Oracle.

On the embedded side, ARM is not a manufacturer. ARM simply maintains the set of architectural, platform and instruction set specs that they license to their partners. Samsung, Nvidia, Apple, Intel, etc. are the ones designing CPUs based on those specs possibly including proprietary extensions and get wafers baked.

As far as Intel having a monopoly goes, Intel has been in a near-monopoly position for most of the past 30 years, nothing really new there. The only reason AMD ever got a chance to break into the x86 market is because Intel fudged up the production license when Intel contracted AMD to produce chips at a time where Intel could not meet demand using their own fabs alone.

At this point though, I would not worry about Intel getting a monopoly that much. If they do, stop investing in R&D and jack up prices, demand for full-blown ARM/Android-based desktop will skyrocket and Intel may very well face a mass-exodus.

This may sound silly but I am more worried about Disney adding Celestia to their princess lineup.
a c 116 à CPUs
November 13, 2012 3:29:05 AM

InvalidError said:
This may sound silly but I am more worried about Disney adding Celestia to their princess lineup.

:o 
And here I thought I was the only Brony on these forums.
a c 146 à CPUs
November 13, 2012 3:33:47 AM

melikepie said:

I don't think it will be more confusing if anything it will be better. We will have more choices to buy whatever CPU we want, which will help keep things competative and prices at a reasonable level. As mentioned above with the phone example would you want to be forced to use AT&T because there is nothing else or have a choice. I don't know about you but I like having a choice between Verizon and Comcast for my phone and internet.
a c 116 à CPUs
November 13, 2012 3:46:34 AM

More CPU competition definitely has the potential to be confusing.
The fact that there are AMD and Intel motherboards work because there is only two of them and both are fairly similar. Throw in another two or three companies and can see potential for things to get confusing quite quickly.
Not really the CPU itself that would be the issue, but the motherboards that support them and other things like RAM.
So unless they all work together and develop a universal platform (pretty unlikely IMO), can quite easily see how it would get confusing.
November 13, 2012 3:56:10 AM

braincruser said:

Might be they could also dip their feet in mobile pond, by the looks of ARM
November 13, 2012 4:08:39 AM

I really doubt a totally new company would dare to challenge Intel in x86 space .
Even if the developers plans to screw Intel and discard x86 for ARM based solution, then also there is no need for another CPU company as there are plenty. However this is very unlikely to happen in near future because x86 performance comes relatively cheap. Moreover the developers are more accustomed to x86 and there is a huge code base supporting this architecture.
Also another company could take over the AMD's assets because in my opinion none other chip designer is more suitable for competing with Intel in x86 space.
a c 133 à CPUs
November 13, 2012 5:44:16 AM

manofchalk said:
:o 
And here I thought I was the only Brony on these forums.

The show itself is surprisingly watchable and has some really funny random stuff like the wife missile :D 

What impresses me most though is the amount of good fan-created content for something I would not have expected so many people to spend time and effort on. One of the best fan-made content I have heard is the Dr Whooves Adventures audio-show, at least the first two episodes where they introduce the 12th Doctor. The guy who plays The Dr sounds as good as the real thing and the writing for the first two episodes is about on par with the real thing as well.

The Fluttershy voice files for tomtom GPS almost make me wish I had one.
a c 116 à CPUs
November 13, 2012 5:55:22 AM

The amount and quality of fan content is unbelievable. With the new season, really looking forward to more remixes, as I'v noticed that the music scene (at least among the big names) has slowed down a bit.
Hehe, try reading Fallout Equestria and its spinoff Project Horizons. Each one on their own is longer than some of the latter Harry Potter books, and Project Horizons is only 2/3's the way through. Very nice if your a fan of the Fallout universe (as is evident by my profile pic).

Ponies truly invade everything. Tis' only a matter of time until we get RD processors that run 20% cooler.

I suspect imminent thread de-railing...
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 6:06:12 AM

This thread has already been derailed. This is what happens when you mention ponies.
!