Sign in with
Your question

Low power file server+

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2012 11:22:34 PM

Hi everyone...I'm looking to replace my venerable Gateway E4600 (Pentium 4) box with something that uses less electricity (and was built within the last 10 years.) It will be running XP, and spend most of its time as a file server, but will also run AirPrint, a java program of my own creation and couple of Win32 apps. It'll spend most of its time sitting in a closet, essentially headless, so speed and video aren't a big issues. I'd like to use the Gateway case (ATX) and PSU, but that's not a requirement. What I'm leaning toward is a Supermicro MBD-X7SPA-L. I like that it's Atom based, has multiple serial ports (yes, I do use them), more than 2 SATA ports, has a full PCI slot and sound. Before I pull the trigger, am I on the right track?

Thanks

More about : low power file server

a b B Homebuilt system
July 3, 2012 11:52:30 PM

Whats your budget?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 3, 2012 11:53:33 PM

if your using windows XP on a new rig at all, let alone, a file server, you're definitely barking up the wrong tree
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 12:04:49 AM

Why XP? Because I already have the license, and I know the software I have runs on it. Why not Linux? Because (a) it doesn't cost me any less but mostly (b) I don't want the hassle of getting the software I want to run on it to run on it.

And as far as that build is concerned, that doesn't impress me as being a low power system (which is the primary motivator in the first place)...especially if it needs a 450W PSU.

I hadn't thought about a budget, but probably sub $300 for mobo and memory would be good.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 12:29:52 AM

n9ds said:
Why XP? Because I already have the license, and I know the software I have runs on it. Why not Linux? Because (a) it doesn't cost me any less but mostly (b) I don't want the hassle of getting the software I want to run on it to run on it.

And as far as that build is concerned, that doesn't impress me as being a low power system (which is the primary motivator in the first place)...especially if it needs a 450W PSU.

I hadn't thought about a budget, but probably sub $300 for mobo and memory would be good.

hmmmm check your private messages :) 

Edit: fill this form: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

m
l
July 4, 2012 4:41:57 PM

Check out Fusion motherboards with AMD E-350 built in. They are comparable in price to Atom but reviews suggest they outperform, especially in video processing, while being just as low energy. I was thinking of an Atom build myself but discovered the AMD through this board and am now leaning in that direction. You could easily get under $300.

Check out this guy's build on another recent thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/351632-31-build-media...
m
l
July 23, 2012 10:04:09 PM

Update: I bought the XP-SPA7-L mobo and still putting everything together (installing software.) According to the Kill-A-Watt, the P4 system draws about 90W and the new system runs about 33W. By my calculations, I'll wind up saving about $60/year. Thanks for all your suggestions.
m
l
!