Which i7 should I get (NO BUDGET)

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Okay, it just has to be LGA1155, I want an i7, there is no budget but it would be nice to save some money, I was looking at the 3770k, but I won't do overclocking, but the non K version is the cheapest 3770k, so that leads me (I`m a noob) to beleive the 3770k is the weakest LGA1155 CPU just with OC and the highest price tag.

I`ll be doing gaming, rendering, multitasking, and some abusive things with 16GB ram

(Leaving it on with multiple servers running 24/7ish)

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
If you're not overclocking then just get the 3770. Although I would recommend getting the 3770k and overclocking as it's extremely easy nowadays. Plus, it's free performance! Who doesn't like free stuff!?

- Jake

I don't 100% understand what you're saying about the 3770K being the weakest 1155 i7. It's one of two of the best (3770 and 3770K).

The 3770 and 3770K are the exact same CPU, other than the "K" model has an unlocked multiplier. Otherwise, they perform identically.

Edit: I get it now. You were calling them both 3770K's. Very confusing.

Preserve your option with a "K". It increases your cost by 5%, but if you eventually do overclock, the performance gain is 25%.
At the end of life for the cpu, you will probably get your money back anyway.
You do not need to OC initially, if you do not want to.

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Is this good for keeping on often? Not usually big loads, just a minecraft server :)P that's where I earned the $1200 I`m spending on this rig!) No I will not buy a host, I have GREAT internet and the comfort of hosting from home is great. Is the longevity of stock settings good? (24/7 at least 2 years)

Intel warrants their processors for 3 years, and they will not lose money on that, since the processors will probably last indefinitely.
If you are worried about damaging a cpu from overclocking or stupidity, Intel will sell you a replacement insurance plan for $20 that covers ANY reason.
http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/
They will make money on that plan too.

If you OC, the higher performance comes into play only when you need it.
Under conditions of little load, it will downclock to 1.6 to conserve energy.

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Wow thats cool.. but suppose I leave it on all day every day, then I just get on sometimes and do some heavy loads (Minecraft on extreme <3) or BF3 128 man and then render 1080p videos right after, or something :) Also I have a budget of $100 for storage, so far Ive picked this out: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd6000hlhx I was looking into SSD a bit but they are expensive for price >.> with $100 I can get like 120GB SSD, which stinks, any ideas? I tried mixing a HDD with SSD and got like 260GB, which still stinks

When you leave it on all day, but do nothing, the cpu will hardly run at all.
But, better, yet, why not put the pc to sleep(not hibernate)?
The sleep S3 state preserves the contents of ram, but puts everything else into a low power state.
It only takes 3 seconds to sleeep or wake.

The velociraptor was a nice hard drive several years ago. But, it is not so great today.
The 10k rpm made it a bit faster in random i/o which is great for the OS.
But... any modern SSD will be 50x faster in random i/o, and 3x faster in sequential.

If you have the budget for a 3770K, it borders on criminal not to use a SSD for the OS.
a 120gb ssd will hold the os and a handful of games.
Use a larger, slower, cheaper hard drive for storage of large files, like video's.
Do not assume that 10K rpm will give you faster sequential speeds.
Look in a drives spec sheet(look hard, it will be on the drive web site) to find the maximum sustained data rate.
As a rule, it is the denser large capacity drives that do the best. Look for a 1tb drive.

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I have 1TB right now and... I have 116GB used HDD space so far, and thats got a shitload of programs and other things.. doesn't a 120GB SSD come with some less? like HDD do? and a 120GB SSD won't fit me, D: and how will I make.. so many quesitons T>T

The actual capacity will be somewhat less, depending on how the vendor chooses to advertise the drive.
A 120gb and 128gb ssd have exactly the same usable capacity, about 111gb.
The difference is in the amount of spare and unallocated nand chips that are reserved.

In your case, look for a 180gb or even a 240gb ssd.
It is wonderful when you can put all you need on the main "C" drive. Later, if you need to store large files, like video's, then a hard drive can be added for that.
When a ssd gets near full, it will slow down as the ssd needs to work harder to find available nand blocks without a read/rewrite cycle. Better to get more than you need. Price cuts abound. Look for sales on intel 330 and samsung 830 ssd's.
They have cheaper to make units coming out and need to clear out old inventory.