Opinions wanted

MysticBanana

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
So I built a gaming PC and love it, but am looking to move it up to the second story of my house. Now here is the actual question. In someones opinion what is the best way to go about getting internet on my second level? A wireless card? A wall adapter that runs Ethernet through the wall outlet?
(PS I would prefer not to run an Ethernet cable through the entire house, that is my last resort.)

Awackypenguin

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
You could always buy a really long length of CAT 6 cable. I think the maximum distance is 300 or so feet, which should be long enough.

That's always an option but I find myself tripping over those whenever I need internet access in a different room :lol: If this is a permanent solution, you could always cover the cable with something, I suppose.

MysticBanana

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
The power line seems like a perfect solution to my problem. Anyone here had experience with one? How do the speeds compare between wired, the power line and wireless?

I'm using powerline at the moment :) It's very reliable and it's a much more robust solution over wireless.

My laptop (I'm using a Netgear N300 router) only gets 2/5 bars in my room (living room, where the router is located is around 3 rooms [50 feet away]) and gets speeds of around 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. My current desktop, hooked up to the powerline, gets 16Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up. (Internet plan is 20 down, 2 up).

Long CAT6 cable will give me the best results, as expected, but powerline is a much more elegant solution than having a 100Ft cable running through your house :) You can see that you're getting most of your connectivity too!

TRENDING THREADS