Horrible FPS but i have a OVER KILL RIG..? (WoW)

ross620

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Ok so everytime im in a Raid or a PVP where alot of action is going on, my FPS drops dramatically...

Heres the proof: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7420/badfps.png

This photo waas just taken in LFR...

Heres my RIG:

Processor: i7 2600k @ 3.4 ghz (overclocked)
16 gigs of ram
(2) 1 TB HD's
2 Nvidia 580's RUNNING IN SLi with a 520 PhysX card.

I've tried deactivating SLi.
I've Reinstalled the game.
I DONT USE ALOT OF ADDONS
ALL MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE.

PLEASE HELP ME :( I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE.... MY PC SHOULD BE RUNNING WOW AT 200 FPS ALL THE TIME.

Cloudz00x

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Try to Trouble Shoot.

Uninstall all Drivers related to NVidia.
Download Phyxion Driver Sweeper.
Boot up in safe mode after uninstalled Nvida Related Drivers/Programs
While in safe mode run Driver Sweeper and Choose The Nvidia Options -> Analyze -> Clean - >Reanalyze to make sure there gone.
Reboot normally

-Remove all the cards and leave one 580 in there. Make sure you got Nvidias Latest WHQL drivers installed. Test the game and check your fps.

-Test the other 580 the same way... Check your fps.

- Put both 580's in and enable SLI... "Maximize 3d Performace" "Surround" Depending if your playing on 1 monitor or multiple Monitors. Check FPS

- Put both 580's and the 520 in. Again same as above enable SLI depending on how many monitors, and set your 520 as your physx under options.

Respond back with results, but hopefully you'll find the issue whether its a particular card or your config.

Also FYI, WOW is CPU Intensive. So having alot of characters on the screen especially doing boss fights or Raids will decrease your fps count exponentially.

RunnrX

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I would also add that you might find help from downloading and installing SpeedFan which shows your the CPU temperature, etc. I was getting TERRIBLE processor speeds and then I found out thru speedfan that I was idling at 84 degrees celsius on a stock speed i7 960. I reapplied the thermal paste and re-seated the heatsink and I am now doing about 65 degrees on a high load and my clock speeds are staying high and FPS are really high still on CPU intensive stuff like minecraft and some other games that were lagging before

Aesaa

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Also you appear to be running the gamed windowed. As far as I know the 2nd card in an SLI/Xfire setup does absolutely NOTHING unless the game is played fullscreen.

I have a feeling there is nothing wrong. 200 FPS all the time? That is a pipe dream and simply not possible. You will see dips somewhere down to as low as 30-50. Simple as that. WoW, especially with a lot of people around you, requires a lot of CPU power.

You are also reducing your graphics card to a single GPU when you use windowed mode. SLI will not function when playing in windowed mode. Use fullscreen mode for more FPS.

What are your FPS, and what do you consider "horrible"?

What is your resolution and refresh rate? If it's 60, you won't see any visual improvement past 60 FPS.

P.S. - your 520 PhysX card is worthless for WoW and will likely cause loss of performance in any game that does use GPU accelerated PhysX. You should remove it. It doesn't do anything in WoW and it's too weak for any benefit in a game that would use it.

1. Overclock your CPU.
2. Run in fullscreen. WoW runs TERRIBLY in windowed mode (not sure why though, I get double fps in fullscreen).
3. Don't expect 200 fps. In intensive fights, you won't get more than 50 fps. Processor becomes the bottleneck then.
4. Disable unneeded addons and update the ones you use regularly.

34 fps is about what you should get in windowed mode by the way.

Do you have an SLI or CF system? That's the main thing that hurts windowed performance. SLI/CF won't work in windowed mode, which he has.

If his monitors refresh rate is 60, that may be true, but it has nothing to do with how many FPS your eyes can detect, but a hardware limitation.

inerax

Distinguished
i used to run wow in window mode (and still do) with no problems at all... 25 min raids with graphics on full.

I had a FPS drop at one point and i noticed my CPU was dropping from 3.6ghz to 800mhz.... it was trying to save energy and screwing my FPS. i turned this off in bios and its back to normal. Im not saying that this is your problem but you are having one somewhere.

I run dual 6950's 2gb each with wow maxed out in windowed mode.

Check and make sure your CPU is doing its job right. wow is a VERY CPU heavy game.

You should really run in fullscreen mode. Regardless if there is an issue or not with Windowed mode on a single GPU, windowed mode definitely will not allow crossfire, meaning you are losing crossfire performance.

inerax

Distinguished

i understand that windowed mode uses a single GPU. But if he prefers to play like that then why not help him?

I like to play windowed mode and it works great. Even if it is not using crossfire it runs lag free with high FPS.

His system should do the same. He has similar specs.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
On topic: WoW really is capped at 60 FPS unless you make certain changes...

On FPS:
http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html
Yes, some fighter pilots can recall details from images shown for only 1/220 th of a second. They see the image and they also see an after-image that is burned chemically into the eye for a short time. Look at the ceiling light for a few seconds then close your eyes and cover them with your hand... You can still see the light for a while but it slowly dissipates with time. That experiment is done with just a single image... and fighter pilots are practically superhumans.
Real life is presented in "infinite" FPS but you can move your hand fast enough in front of your face that your eyes only see a blur... Try it! You can't make out any detail of your hand even if you track the hand with your eyes.
After about 24-30 FPS your brain begins to stitch together similiar images to form a moving image. Like the experiment of looking at a light and closing your eyes each image stays chemically burned into your retina for a short time. At 60 FPS the motion is nearly as sharp as it can be... The previous images are still there and new images are being burnt on top of them. Above 60 FPS there is a diminishing rate of return on what you can see that is very steep.
Also... modern games are a series of similiar images and mimic motion seen in real life. If there were a moving image that was faster than what your eyes can see it would be strange.

I can understand wanting to play in windowed mode. A lot of WoW users do it for looking up Wowiki and using other programs while gaming, but it does void the SLI/CF part of your rig.

Even with what you said, you have shown that you do see more beyond 60 FPS (assuming you have a monitor that goes beyond 60hz). You may see diminishing returns, but diminishing returns does not mean no returns.

I'll tell you about my experience with 60+ FPS (I have a 120hz monitor). Back in the day, several years ago, I'd play games at 30 FPS because that was the point things seemed smooth. However 1st person games, controlled by mouse, made me sick. I'd get motion sickness (nausea) after a few minutes and eventually a headache. Eventually I updated my rig so that I could get over 40-60 FPS, and noticed that my motion sickness lessened. I could then last 30-60 mins without sickness. Eventually I got a 120hz monitor, which does making turning much smoother btw, but when not turning much, it is hard to distinguish the difference. It turns out that all the way up to about 90 FPS, my motion sickness issue went from severe, to mild to removed entirely.

To me, 80-90 FPS is the point I do not get sick when playing mouse driven first person games. And 120hz feels smoother when tracking fast moving targets and turning.

Diminished or not, you do notice more than 60 FPS.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
when I was running a GTX 260 I found WoW windowed mode to use up a lot of resources... My current GTX 560 Ti can handle windowed mode but performance still lags a bit. A single GTX 580 should be fine...

Also... Dump the Physics card it is not helping...