Your question

Should I wait for GTX 670 4GB?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2012 5:23:45 PM

Since the 680 4GB hasn't even come out yet, I don't know what to expect for the GTX 670. I want to purchase a card mid-June at the latest, so if it's looking like the 4GB model is months off, screw it. I feel that I require a card with the highest possible VRAM because of the Skyrim modding I intend to do, in which case 2GB can be a limiting factor.

I'm also worried that if I wait I'm going to end up in a position where there is no 4GB version and all the 2GB versions are sold out...

Considering just buying the 2GB version today while supplies last.

More about : wait gtx 670 4gb

a c 89 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 5:28:10 PM

My suggestion would be since you pointed out that you want to do some serious modding on Skyrim is to wait and get the 4GB 680, if you believe that the vram will exceed get the 680 4GB, but if you feel it won't exceed the 2GB vram go for the 670 now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 5:46:29 PM

if your monitor is 1080p, 2 gigs of vram will be more than enough.
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2012 5:59:47 PM

You could buy it and use it until a 4 GB comes out. With the 600 series you will still have a decent resell rate, especially how they haven't been in stock. Say you take a $50 loss if you resell, but you get to use the cards performance through June (assuming a 4 GB comes out then) and it also allows you to test it to see if it's good enough for you (basically renting it). If the 4 GB doesn't come out as quickly as you hoped (which seems to be the case in most of these cards) then you haven't wasted anything and you have a 670 to use until it does!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 6:06:26 PM

AntaresX said:
Since the 680 4GB hasn't even come out yet, I don't know what to expect for the GTX 670. I want to purchase a card mid-June at the latest, so if it's looking like the 4GB model is months off, screw it. I feel that I require a card with the highest possible VRAM because of the Skyrim modding I intend to do, in which case 2GB can be a limiting factor.

I'm also worried that if I wait I'm going to end up in a position where there is no 4GB version and all the 2GB versions are sold out...

Considering just buying the 2GB version today while supplies last.

You haven't even mentioned your monitor resolution. If you only have 1 monitor, your never even going to use a full 2GB.
m
l
May 10, 2012 6:19:55 PM

geekapproved said:
You haven't even mentioned your monitor resolution. If you only have 1 monitor, your never even going to use a full 2GB.

1 monitor, 1080p. The ONLY thing I'm concerned about for VRAM is modding Skyrim, in which case even with a single 1080p monitor resolution, with the right mods (which I'd like to use) even 3GB of VRAM gets maxed out. I can and most likely will be using the 4GB in this instance, but I would rather have any 600 series card than none over the next month or two and if the 4GB aren't coming out for a while and the 2GB are going to disappear...I don't want to be caught waiting in the middle.
m
l
a c 89 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 6:21:22 PM

The 4GB versions should be out soon , they have been here in Australia for over a week and theres still some available, so I dont think it will be long for you guys to get them. Probably a week or two.
m
l
!