Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I minimize downloads?

Last response: in Networking
July 8, 2011 10:29:03 PM

Hello, ATT is now charging extra whenever I get get over 150 gb a month...what can I do to minimize the junk that comes onto my computer against my will?

More about : minimize downloads

Anonymous
July 9, 2011 10:31:55 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Toms Network to section Networking by Grumpy9117
m
l
July 10, 2011 12:16:06 AM

More than likely, you're not getting "Junk". Someone is probably using P2P and doing a lot of transferring or a computer is compromised and participating in a bot net.

But really, I have a data meter on my router and I don't break 100GB/month while streaming Netflix, Youtube, Steam patches, WoW updates. I'm a fairly heavy user compared to most of the internet.
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2011 2:30:10 PM

Don't send email, send letters. Don't watch youtube, go to a cinema. Don't play online game, play board game.

There is really nothing you can do but to get more dl limit or constrain yourself on usage.
m
l
July 11, 2011 3:00:59 PM

...thanks for the suggestions...most of of those I do...what I was concerned about is that my research sometimes forces me to keep 100-300 pages open at a time...many of these have ads, videos, etc that reload continously automatically...I'd just as soon not have to pay for those although I admit I don't know whether they represent a volume of data worth worrying about...turning java off would probably help but many of the pages I need depend on java so I can't do that...
m
l
July 11, 2011 3:34:10 PM

Well I was only joking about sending letter and playing board games. Do you use firefox? get the flash block addon to block flash content. I did't mention it because I thought your usage is due to dl. But if your usage is due to web browsing, flash block and adblock definitely helps by blocking ads and flash content.
m
l

Best solution

July 12, 2011 12:21:00 AM

mgiht be cheaper to get a business connection through them.. no data cap, but i'm not sure about how much more expensive it'll be
July 19, 2011 8:34:36 PM

...thanks for the suggestions...I'll look into firefox and a business connection and try to report back what I find...
m
l
July 27, 2011 4:56:50 PM

Best answer selected by razorzmd.
m
l
July 27, 2011 5:07:30 PM

..."kewlx25" turned out to be probably the best choice...same service for 10 additional bucks a month and not have to worry about limits and surcharges...also, it looks like ATT is trying to convince people to switch to their "u-verse" service since the limit if you choose u-verse is 250 gb...I'm still looking at it...it might be worth switching...
m
l
!