Displaying BMP files as thumbnails in Windows Explorer

March 6, 2005 9:39:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows
Explorer. I would assume Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this
without any extra software since bmp is a Windows image format, but as of
now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the only
solution, I don't want it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows how
to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Put the bmp files in My Pictures or any other picture folder and you can view
as thumbnails. View as thumbnails is a folder setting. You can right click in
any folder and choose View as thumbnails.

"Nathan Sokalski" wrote:

> I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows
> Explorer. I would assume Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this
> without any extra software since bmp is a Windows image format, but as of
> now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
> something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the only
> solution, I don't want it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows how
> to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 12:48:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Nathan,

You might want to change the view of the directory under which all the image files are stored. Click
on view > Thumbnails. This will display thumbnails for all the image files in that directory.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o KfzLXqIFHA.276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows Explorer. I would assume
>Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this without any extra software since bmp is a Windows
>image format, but as of now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
>something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the only solution, I don't want
>it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows how to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate
>it. Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Related resources
March 7, 2005 4:51:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Nathan,

See line 17 (right hand side):

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o KfzLXqIFHA.276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows
>Explorer. I would assume Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this
>without any extra software since bmp is a Windows image format, but as of
>now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
>something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the
>only solution, I don't want it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone
>knows how to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> njsokalski@hotmail.com
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:41:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I find that all view options (accessible through the View button on the
manu) will display the image. In descending order of size Thumbnails, Tiles,
Icons , List display in different sizes

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:12:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Nathan,

As David said. Or, type this command from Start/Run:

regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User