Displaying BMP files as thumbnails in Windows Explorer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows
Explorer. I would assume Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this
without any extra software since bmp is a Windows image format, but as of
now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the only
solution, I don't want it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows how
to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com

    Put the bmp files in My Pictures or any other picture folder and you can view
    as thumbnails. View as thumbnails is a folder setting. You can right click in
    any folder and choose View as thumbnails.

    "Nathan Sokalski" wrote:

    > I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows
    > Explorer. I would assume Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this
    > without any extra software since bmp is a Windows image format, but as of
    > now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
    > something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the only
    > solution, I don't want it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows how
    > to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Nathan,

    You might want to change the view of the directory under which all the image files are stored. Click
    on view > Thumbnails. This will display thumbnails for all the image files in that directory.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows Explorer. I would assume
    >Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this without any extra software since bmp is a Windows
    >image format, but as of now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
    >something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the only solution, I don't want
    >it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows how to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate
    >it. Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Nathan,

    See line 17 (right hand side):

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows
    >Explorer. I would assume Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this
    >without any extra software since bmp is a Windows image format, but as of
    >now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
    >something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the
    >only solution, I don't want it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone
    >knows how to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I find that all view options (accessible through the View button on the
    manu) will display the image. In descending order of size Thumbnails, Tiles,
    Icons , List display in different sizes

    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Nathan,

    As David said. Or, type this command from Start/Run:

    regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Nathan Sokalski" <njsokalski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to have my bmp files displayed as thumbnails in Windows
    >Explorer. I would assume Windows XP Pro would have some way to do this
    >without any extra software since bmp is a Windows image format, but as of
    >now I have been unable to find it. I think there is some way to modify
    >something in the Registry to achieve this (if 3rd party software is the
    >only solution, I don't want it), but I don't know what it is. If anyone
    >knows how to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    > njsokalski@hotmail.com
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Configuration Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP