At what point would a GPU be so fast that my CPU be the bottleneck?

ICN3D

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I have some money and want to get a new GPU, but I don't want to spend money just to have the fastest just for the sake of having the fastest.

My mobo is PCIe 2.0. Either way, I looked at some of the Nvidia 600 series and the speed on some of them are reeeeeally fast, but most that aren't $600+ are only 256bit.

Anyway, my main question is:

At what point will the GPU be so fast that my CPU can't keep up which would make me miss out on some of the power of the GPU.

ICN3D

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Wow....I guess that would be a good thing to add to the post.....HA!

CPU is an i5 760 2.8Ghz 8MB cache

Edit: Also....are there any single card dual GPU made by Nvidia besides the 460?

Depending on your RAM, I would say it is pointless to go above GTX 5series, or ATI 68xx

Even with a GTX 580 you might be slightly CPU bottlenecked, but not by a whole lot.

Yeah, GTX 590 and 690. Also ATI 6990.

Also, EVGA made a custom dual GPU. EVGA 560Ti 2win.

And the grandaddy of all dualGPU's the Asus Mars II

ICN3D

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Thanks, btw.

I don't have a SLI capable mobo, but I was thinking about it and having 2 cards in 1 slot doesn't sound to effecient...power wise or speed wise.

I mean, I know it gets fast benchmarks now, but I have a feeling it's going to meet it's maker closer down the road.....I dunno how to explain it.

dual GPU cards always perform well, and if you don't have an SLI capable board, that is the best way to go.

dual GPU's generally perform at about 85% of the same card in SLI. So, definitely a lot better than a single card. Just make sure your case / psu can handle it. also remember they get hot.