Canon A75 problem download photos via USB to PC

Hi

I have a Canon A75 and I have successfully downloaded literally
thousands of photos via USB to both of my Windows XP computers using
USB.

However, just last week the transfer would "stall" after about 20
photos (I shoot at max res so each photo file is about 1meg). The
camera hangs but comes back to life after the USB cable is unpluged.
The PC needed to be powered off to regain its senses.

If I manually select photos and transfer fewer than 20 at a time,
everything is OK.

I had hoped the problems was with the notebook I use while travelling
but when I got home I had the identical problem with my desktop. Like I
said, I've done THOUSANDS of transfers without problem.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Joe
6 answers Last reply
More about canon problem download photos

    Sounds like the camera, but using a card reader (which many users prefer
    anyway) would test if a cf card problem.
    If this is the only problem it may not be worth wasting good money chasing
    it any further.
    Dave Cohen

    "Mongo" <joebedford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Canon A75 and I have successfully downloaded literally
    > thousands of photos via USB to both of my Windows XP computers using
    > USB.
    >
    > However, just last week the transfer would "stall" after about 20
    > photos (I shoot at max res so each photo file is about 1meg). The
    > camera hangs but comes back to life after the USB cable is unpluged.
    > The PC needed to be powered off to regain its senses.
    >
    > If I manually select photos and transfer fewer than 20 at a time,
    > everything is OK.
    >
    > I had hoped the problems was with the notebook I use while travelling
    > but when I got home I had the identical problem with my desktop. Like I
    > said, I've done THOUSANDS of transfers without problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Cheers, Joe

    Are you by any chance using a powered USB hub. If so then maybe the power
    to the hub got turned off, or maybe it's just playing up. Try a direct
    connection to a USB slot.

    Regards
    Ken..................

    Dave

    I tried a different CF card with the same result. SOunds like the
    camera.

    What did you mean about good money chasing it any further?

    Cheers, Joe

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Sounds like the camera, but using a card reader (which many users prefer
    > anyway) would test if a cf card problem.
    > If this is the only problem it may not be worth wasting good money chasing
    > it any further.
    > Dave Cohen
    >
    > "Mongo" <joebedford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have a Canon A75 and I have successfully downloaded literally
    > > thousands of photos via USB to both of my Windows XP computers using
    > > USB.
    > >
    > > However, just last week the transfer would "stall" after about 20
    > > photos (I shoot at max res so each photo file is about 1meg). The
    > > camera hangs but comes back to life after the USB cable is unpluged.
    > > The PC needed to be powered off to regain its senses.
    > >
    > > If I manually select photos and transfer fewer than 20 at a time,
    > > everything is OK.
    > >
    > > I had hoped the problems was with the notebook I use while travelling
    > > but when I got home I had the identical problem with my desktop. Like I
    > > said, I've done THOUSANDS of transfers without problem.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Cheers, Joe

    Hi Ken

    No, I connect directly into the USB ports on my two PCs.

    Cheers, Joe

    OK I understand.

    I had hoped that this was a configuration problem cause by a recent
    download of Windows XP updates.

    This camera is less than a yesr old so is still under warranty.

    Cheers, Joe

    > Dave
    >
    > I tried a different CF card with the same result. SOunds like the
    > camera.
    >
    > What did you mean about good money chasing it any further?

    Just that, simply use a card reader when downloading a lot of pics. If you
    have no other problem, cost of fixing just wouldn't be worthwhile.
    Dave Cohen

    > Cheers, Joe
    >
    > Dave Cohen wrote:
    >> Sounds like the camera, but using a card reader (which many users prefer
    >> anyway) would test if a cf card problem.
    >> If this is the only problem it may not be worth wasting good money
    >> chasing
    >> it any further.
    >> Dave Cohen
    >>
    >> "Mongo" <joebedford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I have a Canon A75 and I have successfully downloaded literally
    >> > thousands of photos via USB to both of my Windows XP computers using
    >> > USB.
    >> >
    >> > However, just last week the transfer would "stall" after about 20
    >> > photos (I shoot at max res so each photo file is about 1meg). The
    >> > camera hangs but comes back to life after the USB cable is unpluged.
    >> > The PC needed to be powered off to regain its senses.
    >> >
    >> > If I manually select photos and transfer fewer than 20 at a time,
    >> > everything is OK.
    >> >
    >> > I had hoped the problems was with the notebook I use while travelling
    >> > but when I got home I had the identical problem with my desktop. Like I
    >> > said, I've done THOUSANDS of transfers without problem.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> >
    >> > Cheers, Joe

Photo Canon USB Cameras