wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hello,

I have a problem.

I currently have a XFX GTX 285 1GB running along side my Q6600 @ 2.90GHz. I have not seen the performance i thought i was going to get with this card. So my question is what GPU would be best for Gaming with my Q6600? I have already overclocked my CPU from 2.4GHz to 2.90GHz, i cannot go any higher as i have a passive heatsink. Also would it be best to go with SLI or just get a new GPU altogether? ATI or Nvidia i dont mind. I will be playing BFBC2, GTA IV and maybe some others not sure yet. I have 1600x900 monitor. I have not played GTA IV with this setup yet however BFBC2 runs at average of 40 fps and dips down to 35 at times. So this leads me to believe that GTA IV will run poorly. If i overclocked the GPU clock to 660MHz & memory clock to 1270MHz would i get better performance? Also i need a card that wont cause any bottlenecking.

Thanks for help.

monsta

Splendid
Its a tough one GTA IV is a pain in the butt.
You could get a better cooler for your cpu to overclock it more but I believe it may not be enough to elleviate a bottleneck.
Depends on your budget also, a 560 may do the trick. I think a 7850 may be ok for an upgrade of your gpu, but it might get bottlenecked.
Adding more ram may also help.
Problem is spending all this money may not be enough to justify it , you may be better off saving up some money and upgrading to a newer system with an i5 2500K and a better gpu, these are just my thoughts as I said its a tough one to decide whats best for you in this scenario.
Whats your budget?

Gonna be a hard choice here.. I would suggest getting a i5 2500 and mobo with the 400 hmm will need ram too. reuse everything else for a while then replace the video card down the road. 285 is not wonderful but assuming nothing is wrong with it will get you by till you save up another 300 or so for a killer video card. Just my 2 cents

Thent

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
What if i overclocked to 3.6GHz? Would that give me sufficient increase in performance till the end of the year. Then i can upgrade to a i7. Untill then if i OC to 3.6GHz would be a decent card to give me a 10-20 fps increase.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
But would'nt you think a Quad Core running @ 3.2 or 3.4GHz be enough for atleast next two years? I do understand that architecture is important as well but Considering games will soon start supporting all 4 cores so... But yea il try that. I would have to go watercooling for that idea wouldn't i?