Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would this build run Diablo 3 (or other games) in highest adequately?

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2012 2:11:59 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bltc

CPU AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard Asus F1A75-V EVO ATX FM1 Motherboard

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Hard Drive OCZ Petrol 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Video Card Asus Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card

Case Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Guy at my work wants to sell this set up for $500... WITHOUT the graphics card. I am assuming the Mobo has a built in cheap one.

Anyway he says it runs Skyrim on Highest Graphics along with MW3 Cyrsis 2 etc etc...

Now, if I were to give him this printout/post it at work that he's totally scamming, I could get this rig at $400 most likely. Well I posted up here recently for a buddy in hopes for a $800 rig. We decided on a build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bklz but would it be worth saving the $350~ dollars on this one and just upgrading a few things?

What do you fine folks think???

Background info: If you don't think it's a money-saver/time-saver to go with his set up and upgrade, that's cool. I have no reason to buy this then. If it is, that's cool. :sol:  If it is not, I am going to talk to him and co-workers to let them know he's charging way over the top. There's no drama at stake or anything, I'm top dog at work so I don't worry about rustling tail-feathers; but I also don't like seeing people try to take advantage over others ignorance :pfff:  . Anyway you guys were a great help before, look forward to that again!

PS also if there are any suggestions on my build (from you) that provide significant improvements without raising the price, please let me know! Thanks again :hello: 

Diablo 3 System Requirements :

Windows® Vista/7 (latest service packs)

Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better

Best solution

July 4, 2012 2:38:37 AM

That definitely won't max out Skyrim or Crisis 2...
You would have to upgrade the GPU and maybe get 4 more gigs of ram.
July 4, 2012 2:41:54 AM

zuyah said:
That definitely won't max out Skyrim or Crisis 2...
You would have to upgrade the GPU and maybe get 4 more gigs of ram.

With that said, would it be worth getting and upgrading? Or sticking with my current $780~ build?

Thanks for the fast reply :) 
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 3:08:35 AM

I would build your own PC.
Your current build is a little overkill to be honest. This would be much better for you IMO.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/blHn
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:14:42 AM

The APU's are weak on the CPU side. Get an FX 4100/i3/Phenom II x4 instead.
Get the 550 Ti or 6850. It will last a lot longer than the 6770.
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:33:59 AM

obsama1 said:
The APU's are weak on the CPU side. Get an FX 4100/i3/Phenom II x4 instead.
Get the 550 Ti or 6850. It will last a lot longer than the 6770.

Wait, what? I am not sure which build you are speaking about. Would you mind clarifying for me, obsama1?

Quote:
Zuyah

I would build your own PC.
Your current build is a little overkill to be honest. This would be much better for you IMO.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/blHn

To be honest, I completely agree with you. This computer should be good to go for several years to come imho. Still wondering though, taking that $400 build of his and just upgrading the CPU/GPU would it be worth it convenience factor?
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:37:22 AM

Nvm. I'm phasing out. Thought you were building a PC, haha!
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:38:12 AM

I also recommend for you to build one. For $500, you can build a sick rig.
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:39:31 AM

obsama1 said:
Nvm. I'm phasing out. Thought you were building a PC, haha!

Heh, no problem! I know the feeling. I had a pretty serious Inguinal Hernia surgery Thursday and I am totally out of commission for the next couple weeks... I feel like that just about all day, I think tomorrow... I shall sun bathe for a time... :sol: 
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:40:52 AM

I would dump the 3750k and the biostar board for a 2500k and an asrock z68 extreme 3 mobo. Use the savings to invest in a HD 7850.

You can overclock the snot out of the 2500K. Its not unheard of people getting llow to mid 4's out of it. The same with the 7850. It is a top rate card for the money even if you don't overclock it. Those pieces will last you for quite a long time and you can run anything you can throw at it on ultra settings with great fps.
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:53:58 AM

rblenden said:
I would dump the 3750k and the biostar board for a 2500k and an asrock z68 extreme 3 mobo. Use the savings to invest in a HD 7850.

You can overclock the snot out of the 2500K. Its not unheard of people getting llow to mid 4's out of it. The same with the 7850. It is a top rate card for the money even if you don't overclock it. Those pieces will last you for quite a long time and you can run anything you can throw at it on ultra settings with great fps.

That's actually ~$50 more than my current build, is it that much better?
m
l
July 4, 2012 4:12:40 AM

The build I posted is good if you don't plan on overclocking. It is the cheapest build that will max out games and run decent. It should suit your needs perfectly for a few years. No need for the 2500k unless you plan on overclocking and want a build that will last a little longer.
m
l
July 4, 2012 4:15:08 AM

Best answer selected by ThereWillBeAWay.
m
l
July 4, 2012 5:29:38 AM

The build that Zuyah posted is perfectly fine. It will get you up to speed and suit your needs right now. I have the 3750k and it works well no doubt. And yes, if you never plan to overclock then you don't really need the K series processors anyway. You can go with an i5-3450 and a cheaper mobo. The 2500k is such an awesome processor for the money, and if i had to do it over again I probably would have just gone with that one instead. You can overclock it just as high if not higher than the 3750 easier. As far as the HD 7850, there just is nothing else in its price range that can touch it for overall performance. It draws at full tilt what several other cards draw at idle. It stays cooler, uses less power, and has newer technology than the nvidia cards in its range. It is an easy overclocker too, able to get into the 1100-1200 mhz range up from its stock 800. You can just get quite a bit of extra milage out of the build for just a little more spent.

Either way, you will be good to go on D3.
m
l
July 4, 2012 1:42:26 PM

rblenden said:
The build that Zuyah posted is perfectly fine. It will get you up to speed and suit your needs right now. I have the 3750k and it works well no doubt. And yes, if you never plan to overclock then you don't really need the K series processors anyway. You can go with an i5-3450 and a cheaper mobo. The 2500k is such an awesome processor for the money, and if i had to do it over again I probably would have just gone with that one instead. You can overclock it just as high if not higher than the 3750 easier. As far as the HD 7850, there just is nothing else in its price range that can touch it for overall performance. It draws at full tilt what several other cards draw at idle. It stays cooler, uses less power, and has newer technology than the nvidia cards in its range. It is an easy overclocker too, able to get into the 1100-1200 mhz range up from its stock 800. You can just get quite a bit of extra milage out of the build for just a little more spent.

Either way, you will be good to go on D3.

Thanks for the tidbit :)  He already ordered everything a day ago I believe... He certainly is not tech savvy to say the least... I'm barely tech literate! I just trust the reviews and the opinions of informed buyers/users. Thanks for the in depth evaluation too, I appreciate information a lot more than "no. no you will not." :lol: 

Well again, this is for my friend, :)  I am running with:

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.8GHZ (stock)

Motherboard... (Everest Home came up unknown...)

Memory: 6GB DDR3 (stock... never actually looked at brand... lol)

Hard Drive ST3100005 28AS SATA 1TB (stock)

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800

Case: (HP stock)

Power Supply: KINGWIN ABT-750MM 750W ATX 12V v2.2

Optical Drive: HP CDDVDW TS-H653R (stock)

And it runs WoW (cata) and D3 with the highest settings whilst I use Last.FM, Skype with video, and have 4+ tabs open... Never had an issue with tearing lag or anything... Also I have dual monitors don't know if that's an issue... I turned my max background FPS all the way up because when I click over to change a song I hate how nasty it used to look on default setting of 8fps :kaola: 
m
l
!