Finished selecting parts, what now?

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
First of all, this is my FIRST time attempting to build a computer. Here are the parts I've selected (NOT bought yet.)
CPU: 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Extreme
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 680 Classified in SLI (Will be buying in the future. For now, I will be using the built in Intel HD 4000)
RAM: Either this, this or this. (I will most likely be getting the 2x4GB. I MIGHT get the 2x8GB).
HDD: I will be using my current laptop's 2.5in HDD until I decide on an SSD.
SSD: Debating between a few SSDs at the moment. (Trying to get the fastest possible.)
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler until I decide to get a H100 or a high end air cooler.
PSU: Corsair AX850
DVD Burner: Asus 24xDVD-RW (ALREADY BOUGHT)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper (ALREADY BOUGHT)
I have a few questions:
-Will the AX850 be enough to power all of this?
-What tools do I need to build the computer?
-How do I "ground" myself? I'm thinking about getting this, but I have no clue where to clip it.
-Am I missing any parts?
-How do I actually build the computer?
-Will the Maximus V Extreme fit in the CM Storm Trooper?

850W is plenty to power a dual SLI and overclocked rig.

You only need a Philips head screwdriver, any special/different screws or anything will come with an adapter.

That anti-static wrist band will do fine, just put the PSU into the case and plug it in. Then clip to any exposed metal part of the case.

Doesnt look it.

There are a million build tutorials and videos online. I often recommend this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIJx6Y3tofg&feature=plcp

All of the RAM kits you picked are at 1.65V, which can void the warranty on your processor and all are quite slow latency wise.

Get this 8GB kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Or this 16GB if you want that much
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231429

As for which SSD to get, its impossible to conclude which is fastest as they trade blows in various tests and benchmarks. I would go with an OCZ Vertex4, its up there for fastest.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791

And you will need a HDD, as 128Gb wont last long in a gaming rig.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

obsama1

Distinguished
850W is a good amount. More than enough.
Most of the time, just a Philips head screwdriver, and some cable-ties.
You clip it to a a grounded metallic object. Like the computer case, or a nearby desk.
Nope, not missing a thing.
These videos by Newegg are about 1h each, but VERY thorough, and show EXACTLY how to build the computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

Also, if this is for gaming, get the 3570K and 8GB of RAM. Also, the H100 isn't the best water cooler. The Noctua D14 out performs it(air cooler).

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

-For the RAM, I want a 2x8GB kit in case I decide to expand in the future.
-I know this is stupid, but I want a 7.9 on the WEI. I've looked at customer reviews on Newegg and Amazon, and most of the 7.9s were 1866mhz/2133mhz. The 1866mhz had CL10 while the 2133mhz had CL9, so I chose the CL9. If using 1.65v will void my warranty, can you recommend a 2x8gb kit that will hit 7.9 on the WEI?

IF I go air, it will either be the D14 or the Phanteks one.

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

I know it's never right, I just want 7.9. :/

I'd rather not buy Corsair Vengeance kits because I'm told their heatspreaders will interfere with some heatsinks. Any other low profile alternatives?

Now its getting difficult, it was hard enough to find those. You can get Low Profile Corsair Vengeance sticks, but don't expect them to be 8GB a stick at those settings. And beside, if you use the H100, the RAM clearance isn't an issue.

And I don't understand why you want 2x8GB. 16GB is all you will need for video editing and gaming. Only reason to get more is for Virtual Machines or running large servers, in which case you should be on the X79 platform. 4x4GB is all you will need.

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

-What about G.Skill RAM?
-I'm still haven't decided H100 or high end air, so I don't want RAM that will interfere, just in case.
-I want 2x8GB so IF I want to expand in the future, I can.

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Well first you need to explain what you are going to use the PC for, how much you want to spend, and are you going to OC. Here is my build:

CPU: i7-3770k | Cooler: Corsair H100 | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula Z77 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 | HDD: Samsung F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM | SSD: 2x Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk | GPU: 2x Asus GTX 670 2GB 980MHz | Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) | PSU: Corsair 750W ATX12V | OD: Asus DRW | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Monitor: 3x Asus vs229h-p IPS | Accessories: Black Widow Ultimate, SWTOR Razer Mouse, Astro a40s

Overkill, you bet it is but I need it because of programming, encoding, gaming, and lots of windows and tabs opened at once. I don't really OC unless it is needed but honestly I am handling everything no problem and it should be like that. That is the reason I went with the i7 but without knowing what you will use the PC for it is hard to tell, I am guessing gaming in which case drop the i7 for i5 3570k.

Also not that the extreme loses some features the formula has and if the main reason for the extreme is for 2-way SLI then you are better off with the formula as 16x 16x vs 16x 8x is a fraction of a change.

As for the graphic cards the 670 is great and you would save more. They can preform just as good as the 680 when OCed a little. Otherwise if your going to spend money for two 680 you might as well get the 690 (if you find it cheaper than two 680s that is) unless you plan for multiple monitors.

I preferred the water cooler over air because it was less bulky and honestly looked horrible in my case. My temps run around 50 degree Celsius full load gaming, remember the new ivy bridge run hotter than sandy bridge so don't be alarmed.

Like everyone said Windows score is utterly worthless, take a real test like pcmark. Again this is all just my advise that I took from here and other sites. This is how I created my PC. Also as you note in my build I am using only 750w and I still have plenty to spare. Hope this helps.

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

-Mainly gaming.
-What does the Formula have that the Extreme doesn't?
-For your 50 degrees Celsius, did you overclock your CPU at all? Or is it that temp @ stock?
-I like it's worthless, I just want a 7.9...

obsama1

Distinguished
Well, if he has a water cooler, I am assuming he overclocked.

If you want the 7.9 WEI, there are numerous guides on the internet on how to hack it.

What kind of gaming? It could be Diablo 3 at 720p on lowest settings or BF3 on Ultra at 1080p. Tell us what games you will play.

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

The Formula has SupremeFX IV built-in and mini-SATA 3Gb/s port. Also a couple other minor things, refer to the listed sites below to compare them.

Understand if your getting the Extreme for dual GPU then it is the same as the Formula. The Extreme is more for SERIOUS OCers and people who want more than two GPU, which you stated was only two. The other reason is this: Formula= 3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8 or x8/x4/x4) and the Extreme= 5 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8 or x8/x16/x8 or x8/x16/x8/x8). If you noticed, even with dual GPU it is 8x 8x, you only get a benefit from extreme if more than two GPU. So that is why I was saying to look at the boards closely, if you don't need all the OC bonus of the Extreme or more than 2 GPU, then stick to the formula.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_V_Extreme/

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_V_Formula/

Feel free to compare them both.

I am OCed at 4.3GHz, GPU at 980MHz (haven't bother touching them because haven't needed too lol)

As far as gaming I play SWTOR MMO, Diablo 3, BF3, MW3, and Total War. I can say running on three monitors at ultra setting at 5760x1080 my FPS for BF3 was at 55 Median, lowest was 32. So these cards are great, this is why I opted paying $50-100 more for the 680s, didn't need to.

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

After comparing them, the main differences were that the Extreme has Thunderbolt while the Formula has SupremeFX.
Did I miss any major differences (excluding the PCIe slots)?

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Ya that is everything. Cannot believe I forgot the thunderbolt. The formula I heard will have an option to add that but honestly I forgot where I saw that so don't quote me. Again it comes down to what makes you happy and what you think you will "need." Again if you have any other questions let us know.

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

If the difference is only SupremeFX vs Realtek, I think I'll go with the Extreme. Since the SupremeFX is still onboard, it can't be that great, right? I'll probably get a dedicated sound card in the future anyways. As for ThunderFX, I've read on the ROG site that it will be sold separately in the future, so if I ever do it want, I can buy it separately.

Maybe it'll be useful in the future? You never know. :/

Also:
-Do I need to purchase speakers, or do the onboard sound cards (SupremeFX on Formula OR Realtek on Extreme) "work" without them?
-Would I be able to install something like this in the future? Would I need to remove the onboard sound card (if that's even possible) or would that work right after plugging it in?

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Actually a huge difference from formula and extreme, again cannot believe I forgot it, is the thermal fusion. Formula has the water cooling where as the extremes has air. If you plan to buy a sound card then you don't need to worry about the extreme lack of sound. The formula's sound card on the other hand has been rated very good, especially with headsets. Most if not all mouth boards carry an on board audio block. As for thunderbolt which is mini display port has been around, apple uses it. Is it the future, no it has been out. It is just finally seeing light in PC that's all. Unless you plan to link a ton of monitors and stuff it is not yet worth it. Sorry for any confusing statements I have posted. It is 2 am and I have no idea why I am typing this.

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Well, to be honest, the only water cooling I'd ever do is probably closed loop like the H100. I'll more than likely never go into custom loops. I'm guessing the Extreme is the better choice for me?

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Again, like I said earlier, it depends on some key factors.
Do you care about price?
Are you a serious OCer?
Do you plan to use a sound card or headset with amp?
Are you using more than two way sli/crossfire?

If you answer yes, then get the extreme. If not get the formula. Again if you look at the extreme it is build for the hardcore OCer. There are a lot of features that if you don't plain on using with be worthless but that isn't to say the board is bad for you. Again if you answer mostly yes to the questions then the board will give you benefits otherwise it is just extra nice features that won't be any different from what the formula offers at a lower price.

It seems you have your heart set for the extreme and that is great, it's a good board. I would have gotten it if I needed the features, so personally it is not something I would use. I can only give you my opinion and advice because that is what I did when I asked on this forum for my firestation build. I made a PC for myself to fit my needs. Remember needs before wants.

Lastly, it is your money so spend it as you see fit. If you can get the extreme for close to formula price, then do so. If it is more than $100 I say it isn't worth it, again only if you answered no to the questions. keep in mind if you add a sound card to the extreme you nerf a slot for your GPU to breath and that is why the formula added its own dedicated sound chip. So again, to me the boards are close spec'ed just different price and enthusiast.

Get what makes you happy. Heck I like my little led light on the formula that the extreme doesn't have lol. Just a nice touch to my system.

Iamazn

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

-Price is only $20, so it doesn't matter.
-Not a serious OC, but I do plan on doing it.
-I'll be using Turtle Beach headsets.
-At most, 2 way SLI.
-I heard that the heatsinks for the Formula and Extreme were different... Which one is better for air cooling?
-For the formula, does the mPCIe combo/wifi come with the board or is it a separate purchase?

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Both are great for air cooling but the extreme is made more for air while the formula offers the thermal fusion water or air cooling. So what is better, well without testing both, I cannot say. Below is a list compiled by a friend.

Formula:
-Thermo-fusion VRM water block
-SupremeFX IV onboard audio
-Lower cost
-Improved aesthetic ROG lighting

Extreme:
-3-way and 4-way SLI, Quad graphics
-Beefier more efficient heat sinks with heat pipes (on Good Air, H100, or single loop), not water cooling the VRM
-Thunderbolt connectivity on-board (the expansion card is bulky and resistant to air flow)
-Better over clocker with extreme cooling
-Extra 0.6inches in width

mPCI combo comes is the box.

TRENDING THREADS