Sign in with
Your question

What cooling system for a 3770k o/c and future sli?

Last response: in Components
November 12, 2012 7:15:39 AM

Hey! :D 

I have just begun a build, and hope to o/c an i7 3770k to around 4.7ghz on the Gigabyte z77x up5 I to run it. I bought a HAF-X to make sure I have great airflow and plenty of room for future expansion (eg. more HDD's, SSD's and Sli) but wanted advice on the fans / CPU cooler that will best keep it nice and chilled?

This is also to find out whether I need low-profile RAM or normal. I will be running at least one gtx 670 or 680 to start with. :bounce: 

Budget is not really an issue - as having something that will last a few years is more important - but obviously the less the cost the better!

Thanks =D :sol: 
a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2012 7:28:03 AM

I suggest getting a custom water loop if you're going to OC that high.

If you have no experience in water cooling, then high-end air coolers like the NH-D14, Silver Arrow, or Phanteks would do you good.

I generally suggest low profile RAM since the "normal" ones' tall heat spreaders don't actually have any real purpose unless you're going to OC RAM frequency as well. I wouldn't suggest that though since you'll have to adjust the voltage higher and it might damage the memory controller; not to mention, void the CPU's warranty.
Related resources
November 12, 2012 7:51:31 PM

The Phanteks and Silver Arrow are not available here, neither is the XSPC Rasa. The NH D14 I can get or the XSPC Raystorm are around $190 or $220 respectively (NZD).

Which would be best? I have no experience in water cooling and the case I have is geared toward fans (I have a 200mm slot free on top that needs a fan aswell?)
Or I could have a radiator in the top... :bounce: 

Sorry complete noob at this - tried to read up on cooling but didn't find any specific recommendations, Thanks! :D 
November 19, 2012 4:30:56 AM

Got recommended a Corsair H80 with Tuniq thermal paste - thoughts? :bounce: 
!