Sign in with
Your question

My First Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2012 4:39:31 AM

So I talked myself out of buying a pre-built PC and decided to just build it myself, however, I have no idea what parts are compatible with what, so if someone could critique my build, I'd be delighted.

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably not anytime soon. I'm just planning.

Budget Range: Around the $800-1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing internet, youtube.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any. Probably prefer newegg.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Here is the build I've come up with so far, if anything is worth upgrading or changing, please let me know. Thanks in advance! :) 

More about : gaming

July 4, 2012 5:27:31 AM
Related resources
July 4, 2012 5:52:51 AM

I've looked at your build and it's very spot on from what I've researched. For the power supply, I recommend going with a 700W if you plan to overclock. 650W is just fine, but having an extra 50W is a good idea if you can. As for the rest of you parts, by all means go for it!

EDIT: Also, I would like to thank you very much for bringing that part picking website to my attention!
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:42:06 AM

You are very welcome. :)  The things I'm concerned most about is the motherboard and video card. I know nothing of motherboards. Also I don't know if there is a better video card for the price.
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:53:47 AM

You and me the same. I can't settle on a motherboard either! :??:  It's probably because my budget is $700-ish... But the one in your build is a good choice.

The EVGA 560 Ti shown on your build is quite likely the cheapest. I've been looking around a bit, and that one at newegg is the cheapest (and best reviewed) I've found. So you have my thumbs-up for that one.

UPDATE!: I looked into that Gigabyte motherboard a little closer. It only supports CrossFire, not SLI. If you plan to SLI in the future, the Biostar TZ77XE3 looks like the better choice overall, albeit a little costlier. It's a new board from Biostar and it's getting mostly good reviews so far. It also has solid overclocking-friendly features too.
m
l
!