Two Files Detected to be at Risk but Can't Find them

Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
OS = WindowsXP Pro

Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are of
type Adware. The file locations

are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are not
hidden or system files either.

I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up. Also,
they are not part of a

"Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these files.
I can run Norton on the

specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How do I
prevent this problem?

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

Hi

Have you checked your system for any spyware that may have installed itself?
Please try the following programs to search for any spyware:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
> OS = WindowsXP Pro
>
> Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are of
> type Adware. The file locations
>
> are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are
> not
> hidden or system files either.
>
> I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up.
> Also,
> they are not part of a
>
> "Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these
> files.
> I can run Norton on the
>
> specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How do
> prevent this problem?
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

Yes I've used most of those items but nothing finds these two files except
for Norton Antivirus's (spyware section). Of course, it can't get rid of
the two files. I'm trying to get rid of them manually. Very weird that I
can't find them.

> Hi
>
> Have you checked your system for any spyware that may have installed
itself?
> Please try the following programs to search for any spyware:
>
> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>
> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

> Also see the following links:
>
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
> > OS = WindowsXP Pro
> >
> > Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are
of
> > type Adware. The file locations
> >
> > are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are
> > not
> > hidden or system files either.
> >
> > I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up.
> > Also,
> > they are not part of a
> >
> > "Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these
> > files.
> > I can run Norton on the
> >
> > specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How
do
> > prevent this problem?
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
> > C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

Hi

Try an online scan for a 2nd opinion - just to make sure they are spyware
and not viruses:

The bridge.inf file would certainly suggest spyware.

You may find some help about the other file here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=SAHUninstall_.exe

--

> Yes I've used most of those items but nothing finds these two files except
> for Norton Antivirus's (spyware section). Of course, it can't get rid of
> the two files. I'm trying to get rid of them manually. Very weird that I
> can't find them.

>> Hi
>>
>> Have you checked your system for any spyware that may have installed
> itself?
>> Please try the following programs to search for any spyware:
>>
>> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
>> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
>> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
>> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>>
>> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
>>
>> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
>>
>> Also see the following links:
>>
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.
>>

>> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
>> > OS = WindowsXP Pro
>> >
>> > Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are
> of
>> > type Adware. The file locations
>> >
>> > are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are
>> > not
>> > hidden or system files either.
>> >
>> > I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up.
>> > Also,
>> > they are not part of a
>> >
>> > "Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these
>> > files.
>> > I can run Norton on the
>> >
>> > specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How
> do
>> > prevent this problem?
>> >
>> > C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
>> > C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

Right! Also, you can go to this folder. There are only 7-8 items there.
They are all ActiveX items.
You can't copy/move anything from this folder. You can't run Norton on
these individual items either... only on the folder that contains them.
Otherwise, I would be able to copy one item at a time to another folder then
run Norton on that folder to isolate the ActiveX. No can do!!

> Hi
>
> Try an online scan for a 2nd opinion - just to make sure they are spyware
> and not viruses:
>
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>
> The bridge.inf file would certainly suggest spyware.
>
> You may find some help about the other file here:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=SAHUninstall_.exe
>

> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I've used most of those items but nothing finds these two files
except
> > for Norton Antivirus's (spyware section). Of course, it can't get rid
of
> > the two files. I'm trying to get rid of them manually. Very weird that
> > can't find them.
> >

> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Have you checked your system for any spyware that may have installed
> > itself?
> >> Please try the following programs to search for any spyware:
> >>
> >> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
> >> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
> >> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
> >> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
> >>
> >> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
> >>
> >> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
> >>
> >> Also see the following links:
> >>
> >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups.
> >>

> >> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > of

How
> > do

This is a special folder. It shows programs that are installed (think of it as something like the Start Menu). It does not show files. Usually each item shown has two files backing it (but could be more), an inf file for install/uninstall and the actual program or component. Right clicking the item should allow you to uninstall correctly. You see the program's Display name which may have nothing in common with the actual file names. Anything there can be deleted. If it's needed again then IE will download it again.

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7yQWd.27588$QQ3.3537@trnddc02...
> Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
> OS = WindowsXP Pro
>
> Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are of
> type Adware. The file locations
>
> are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are not
> hidden or system files either.
>
> I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up. Also,
> they are not part of a
>
> "Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these files.
> I can run Norton on the
>
> specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How do I
> prevent this problem?
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

Read your post after responding to the post above. Basically saying the
something. However, you can't move/copy these items. I never tried to
delete since I can't isolate which of the 7-10 files "leads" to the culprit.
I assume that you cannot delete since you can't copy or move.

I suspect, you have to uninstall a program... which in-turn will remove the
particular ActiveX. Just my guess. But I need to isolate which one it is,
then I will attempt the delete.

Thanks

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
This is a special folder. It shows programs that are installed (think of it
as something like the Start Menu). It does not show files. Usually each item
shown has two files backing it (but could be more), an inf file for
install/uninstall and the actual program or component. Right clicking the
item should allow you to uninstall correctly. You see the program's Display
name which may have nothing in common with the actual file names. Anything
there can be deleted. If it's needed again then IE will download it again.

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
> OS = WindowsXP Pro
>
> Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are of
> type Adware. The file locations
>
> are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are
not
> hidden or system files either.
>
> I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up.
Also,
> they are not part of a
>
> "Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these
files.
> I can run Norton on the
>
> specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How do
> prevent this problem?
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

I'd delete all. It will reload if needed. They all came from a web site.

Type cmd in Start Run. Type in the terminal window
cd c:\windows\downloaded program files
dir /a

This will show the files. Read the inf file (it is a text file) to see what files it references.

notepad bridge.inf

will open it in notepad
" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eM%Wd.73247$Dc.3698@trnddc06...
> Read your post after responding to the post above. Basically saying the
> something. However, you can't move/copy these items. I never tried to
> delete since I can't isolate which of the 7-10 files "leads" to the culprit.
> I assume that you cannot delete since you can't copy or move.
>
> I suspect, you have to uninstall a program... which in-turn will remove the
> particular ActiveX. Just my guess. But I need to isolate which one it is,
> then I will attempt the delete.
>
> Thanks
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> This is a special folder. It shows programs that are installed (think of it
> as something like the Start Menu). It does not show files. Usually each item
> shown has two files backing it (but could be more), an inf file for
> install/uninstall and the actual program or component. Right clicking the
> item should allow you to uninstall correctly. You see the program's Display
> name which may have nothing in common with the actual file names. Anything
> there can be deleted. If it's needed again then IE will download it again.

> http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
>> OS = WindowsXP Pro
>>
>> Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are of
>> type Adware. The file locations
>>
>> are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are
> not
>> hidden or system files either.
>>
>> I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up.
> Also,
>> they are not part of a
>>
>> "Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these
> files.
>> I can run Norton on the
>>
>> specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How do
>> prevent this problem?
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

Deleting the files in DOS mode works. I have not experienced this concept
before:
You can't see the files in windows even when you set you system to see all
files and all system files. Yet you can see it when you use a dos prompt.
Anyway, I deleted the files and all is good.

Thanks for your help

I'd delete all. It will reload if needed. They all came from a web site.

Type cmd in Start Run. Type in the terminal window
cd c:\windows\downloaded program files
dir /a

This will show the files. Read the inf file (it is a text file) to see what
files it references.

notepad bridge.inf

will open it in notepad
http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Read your post after responding to the post above. Basically saying the
> something. However, you can't move/copy these items. I never tried to
> delete since I can't isolate which of the 7-10 files "leads" to the
culprit.
> I assume that you cannot delete since you can't copy or move.
>
> I suspect, you have to uninstall a program... which in-turn will remove
the
> particular ActiveX. Just my guess. But I need to isolate which one it
is,
> then I will attempt the delete.
>
> Thanks
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> This is a special folder. It shows programs that are installed (think of
it
> as something like the Start Menu). It does not show files. Usually each
item
> shown has two files backing it (but could be more), an inf file for
> install/uninstall and the actual program or component. Right clicking the
> item should allow you to uninstall correctly. You see the program's
Display
> name which may have nothing in common with the actual file names. Anything
> there can be deleted. If it's needed again then IE will download it again.

> http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
> " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
>> OS = WindowsXP Pro
>>
>> Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are of
>> type Adware. The file locations
>>
>> are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are
> not
>> hidden or system files either.
>>
>> I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up.
> Also,
>> they are not part of a
>>
>> "Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these
> files.
>> I can run Norton on the
>>
>> specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How
do
>> prevent this problem?
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

You are under a misapprehension. What you think is true only up to Windows 3.11. From 95 onwards Explorer is a namespace browser not a file manager. Each and every folder you go to loads a special viewer program for that folder. Folders may not be real.

Eg There is no My Computer Folder. That is a program that loads that shows some devices (mainly hard drives) you have.

Fonts folder also doesn't show files, it shows a Installed Fonts Viewer - the fonts themselves may or maynot be in that folder (usually they are but don't have to be - they will look like they are there).

Scheduled Tasks is a Task Scheduler viewer. Any files it needs are stored in C:\windows\tasks but viewing this folder or viewing it in Control Panel (another folder that isn't real) show a scheduled tasks program.

When you view Temporary Internet Files you probably see lots - but there are no files in the folder really. They are stored in sub folders and cookies you see are in c:\windows\cookies (or the profile path equiv). But windows loads a Temp Internet Files viewer when you go to that folder and the TIF viewer only shows files it knows about (1/2 downloaded pages aren't shown, files created by OE aren't shown), and it looks in ALL the places files of interest to Temp Internet Files to present a view to you of USUABLE files to you.

Explorer is a namespace browser. Next version of windows your documents won't be stored in folders at all. They will be in something like MS Accesss but will appear as if they are in folders. Search will be fast and powerful for you documents.

This is to remove technical details of how computers work (file and folders) from how users work. Less with XP compared to Dos but still very significant, users are forced to work how the programmers decided to implement a feature rather than the task the user was trying to perform.

The goal is to have the computer do what it does and the user do what they want without having to think of how the MS programmers implemented it. Think of a VCR remote control (mine crashes and I take the batteries out to reboot it). Has anyone suggested you should poke about in it's operating system. No. It is just supposed start/stop the video and you have no idea who wrote the software or how they implemented it. And nor do you care.

This is where MS has been taking us for 10 years now. And we aren't even 1/2 way there.

But most folderes are viewed with a file viewer component (if there is no special viewer for that folder you get a file viewer viewer).

If you view a web page you are viewing the special Internet folder (which was in the folder tree in Win 95 but hidden in later versions).

The longer people have used computers the more bizarre this sounds as us Dos users are used to thinking in programmers terms in how to use a computer. It's harder to unlearn something than to learn something new.

The other point is MS allows users to form their own mental models of windows, There is no attempt to force you to think accurately. If you think windows work because the moon is made of cheese MS is happy for you to think that. If it works for you then they think they have done a great job. [I strongly disagree with this part - after all, your model was a Dos model and it was hindering you in your task - though it is also a task that shouldn't have been necessary for you to do at all].

" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xj7Xd.67287$uc.31622@trnddc08...
> [...]
>>> Using Norton SystemWorks Pro 2004
>>> OS = WindowsXP Pro
>>>
>>> Norton AntiVirus detects two files that are "At Risk" because they are of
>>> type Adware. The file locations
>>>
>>> are said to be as shown below, however, they cannot be found. They are
>> not
>>> hidden or system files either.
>>>
>>> I've searched the entire HD for these files and they do not show up.
>> Also,
>>> they are not part of a
>>>
>>> "Compressed" Type file. Yet every time Norton runs, it detects these
>> files.
>>> I can run Norton on the
>>>
>>> specific folder, and it will detect it too. But I can't see them. How
> do
>>> prevent this problem?
>>>
>>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
>>> C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SAHUninstall_.exe

David,
Thanks for your detail reminder of this complicated system. And to think, I
programmed in DOS for many years before programming in windows.