GTX 295 no longer detected (progressively - 2gpu, then 1gpu, now none)

RunnrX

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hi guys,

I've had 2x Nvidia gtx 295 running in SLI for about 1.5 years now, and I've always been able to see all 4 GPUs detected in windows, CPU-Z, nvidia control panel, etc

a couple of days ago I was only able to detect 3 of the 4 GPUs and now today only 2 of them are detected (one entire card is fine, the other card isn't showing any detection)

I've re-seated it and checked power connections many times, no improvement

OS is win7 64, momo is asus p6X58d-e

when I get home today I'm going to try putting the good card in the slot that the non-detected card is in to see if it's the PCIe slot, but if not the slot I'm either looking at a dead card or cleaning the connections, or what?

Does anyone have experience with having the card drop 1 gpu at a time until showing none? Does anyone know if a card like this is something I can go get repaired?

I'd rather fix this card than have to go buy 2 new high end cards to maintain the performance I'm already enjoying.

Thanks!

RunnrX

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I do actually, but as another piece of info, I have recently been running these cards without the sli bridge because for some reason it gave me better in game performance. The problem seems to be somewhere between the card and it communicating thru the PCIe slot

I'll try the other sli connector tonight too but I won't hold my breath -- thanks for the idea though!

RunnrX

Honorable
May 10, 2012
it seems you're right about that -- but my real problem is that now the second card, while it functioned before so I could use it for multiple displays, now it is not being detected at all anymore

so while I used to have this setup:

3x displays; 2 off one card, and then the main display on another card that was in multi-gpu mode for better 3d performance

now I'm limited to 2 displays with multi-gpu mode disabled - if I want better 3d performance I have to enable multi gpu mode and I'm losing the 2nd display, and most of important of all I have 1 card that isn't detected which was working 3 days ago, but was becoming less and less detected (2 gpus, then 1, now none)

Cards can become defective over time. It's not a rare occurrence.

RunnrX

Honorable
May 10, 2012

ko888 what you said is probably all it really is. On that note, when I get home today I'm going to just do one last test on whether it's my PCIe slot or my card by swapping slots, and then what I'll look into next is if anyone can repair the 295 rather than me putting $999 into getting a new 690 :S

if anyone is still reading this thread, anyone have any experience / tips about card repairs? I don't have the experience to do the repair myself - thanks!

Card repairs are very difficult. There are just so many things that can go bad.

Definitely swap the cards and see what happens. Hopefully you won't have to buy a new card.

Also, there are still 295's in the wild, they are a little harder to find, but not impossible.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
forget a 690 to replace 2 295s as a single 690 will give you over the performance of 2 295s and all you will need to achieve the same performance should be a single 580 on your problem check the PCIe slot in the bios to make sure it is being recognized by the bios
if that is not it then check the graphics cards one at a time leaving one out starting it and seeing if it works then shut it down and repeat with the other card.
If it is not a dead card then put in both card with the SLI bridge and see if that works
If that isn't the problem uninstall and reinstall the SLI drivers and reset up SLI for your GeForce cards then test
If it is not the drivers then try it in the default config settings for SLI and see if that works
If none of that works then i will suggest replacing it with a single 580 or a single 590 card as those should give you the same if not a little better performance then 2 295s