Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 3570K Packaging Issue

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 12, 2012 1:49:16 PM

I purchased a i5 3570K in a sealed box and after installing it on a GA-Z77-DS3H board it is showing as a I5 2500K? Has anyone ever seen this before or is just an Intel packaging issue?

More about : 3570k packaging issue

a c 790 à CPUs
a c 133 å Intel
November 12, 2012 4:10:56 PM

Or a motherboard BIOS issue check if you have available BIOS update for the board. Might have shipped with release BIOS before the CPU table was updated.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 4:21:48 PM

Did the cpu say 3570k on it?
Related resources
November 12, 2012 5:32:00 PM

Yes, I updated the BIOS to the latest and no I did not read the top of the cpu, after all it was straight out of a factory sealed box. I just want to ensure I didn't missing something before I contact Microcenter.
a c 184 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 12, 2012 5:48:48 PM

If it's factory sealed, you had to see the CPU before installing it...
a c 790 à CPUs
a c 133 å Intel
November 12, 2012 6:07:00 PM

Devil_Dog_95 said:
Yes, I updated the BIOS to the latest and no I did not read the top of the cpu, after all it was straight out of a factory sealed box. I just want to ensure I didn't missing something before I contact Microcenter.

In that case I would contact Intel or reseller.
a c 265 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 12, 2012 6:19:27 PM

If CPU-Z does not show 3570K,and other supporting information, you may be the victim of a scam.
Possibly a microcenter employee swapped the cpu chip. It is not so hard to make a box look sealed.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 6:34:31 PM

amuffin said:
If it's factory sealed, you had to see the CPU before installing it...


tiny writing though and bloody hard to read
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 8:58:49 AM

Sounds like you should take the cpu out and clean off the paste and see what it says.
November 14, 2012 10:35:02 PM

I removed and cleaned the cpu and yes the little white lettering shows it as a i5-2500K. Took it back to Microcenter and got the run around, they need two days to review with Intel :-( - Now we will see how good Microcenter's customer support is...
a c 101 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 10:48:46 PM

Wonder how good the likelihood of this coming out in the customer's favor might be. Unless there has been a surge in counterfeits or a batch of mislabeled boxes from Intel, this must be otherwise pretty rare.
a c 790 à CPUs
a c 133 å Intel
November 15, 2012 12:30:01 AM

My suspicion would go against Microcenter employee as suggested above.
November 15, 2012 1:59:07 AM

i doubt someone would swap out a $220 cpu for a $230 cpu...

You have to take the cpu out and find out what it says on it. If it says 3570k but shows up at 2500k, then you're golden for a hassle free replacement, but if it says 2500k....then idk....there's that trust thingy that is involved..

Goodluck though!
a c 101 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 2:32:43 AM

soybeanpaste said:
You have to take the cpu out and find out what it says on it. If it says 3570k but shows up at 2500k, then you're golden for a hassle free replacement, but if it says 2500k....then idk....there's that trust thingy that is involved..

A few posts above, he already said he removed the CPU, cleaned it up, the CPU did indeed say it was a 2500k, he has already returned it to Microcenter and Microcenter said they would investigate with Intel's help and get back to him in 1-2 days.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 2:35:33 AM

I cant trust places like that, I only shop at newegg, and have been for years. I get all my parts from them and they have the best customer service imo.
December 3, 2012 9:22:13 PM

Follow Up - Over 3 weeks and still not resolved. I can say my system is running great with the i5-2500K, so really this is turning into a MICROCENTER CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE, I did not get what I purchased... I have been satisfied with Microcenter in the past; however customer service is based on how they handle issues. The Operations Manager stated he needed a couple of days to work this out and after 3 weeks he does not returned my calls. So now have a case open with Intel – At this point it is just principle and a 1 star rating for Microcenter.
a c 265 à CPUs
a b å Intel
December 3, 2012 9:28:08 PM

Devil_Dog_95 said:
Follow Up - Over 3 weeks and still not resolved. I can say my system is running great with the i5-2500K, so really this is turning into a MICROCENTER CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE, I did not get what I purchased... I have been satisfied with Microcenter in the past; however customer service is based on how they handle issues. The Operations Manager stated he needed a couple of days to work this out and after 3 weeks he does not returned my calls. So now have a case open with Intel – At this point it is just principle and a 1 star rating for Microcenter.


May I suggest that you document your case with hard copy letters, and with delivery confirmation.
Telephone calls are OK if you are dealing with honest and concientious people.
!