I5 3570K Packaging Issue

I purchased a i5 3570K in a sealed box and after installing it on a GA-Z77-DS3H board it is showing as a I5 2500K? Has anyone ever seen this before or is just an Intel packaging issue?
16 answers Last reply
More about 3570k packaging issue
  1. Or a motherboard BIOS issue check if you have available BIOS update for the board. Might have shipped with release BIOS before the CPU table was updated.
  2. Did the cpu say 3570k on it?
  3. Yes, I updated the BIOS to the latest and no I did not read the top of the cpu, after all it was straight out of a factory sealed box. I just want to ensure I didn't missing something before I contact Microcenter.
  4. If it's factory sealed, you had to see the CPU before installing it...
  5. Devil_Dog_95 said:
    Yes, I updated the BIOS to the latest and no I did not read the top of the cpu, after all it was straight out of a factory sealed box. I just want to ensure I didn't missing something before I contact Microcenter.

In that case I would contact Intel or reseller.
  6. If CPU-Z does not show 3570K,and other supporting information, you may be the victim of a scam.
    Possibly a microcenter employee swapped the cpu chip. It is not so hard to make a box look sealed.
  7. amuffin said:
    If it's factory sealed, you had to see the CPU before installing it...

tiny writing though and bloody hard to read
  8. Sounds like you should take the cpu out and clean off the paste and see what it says.
  9. I removed and cleaned the cpu and yes the little white lettering shows it as a i5-2500K. Took it back to Microcenter and got the run around, they need two days to review with Intel :-( - Now we will see how good Microcenter's customer support is...
  10. Wonder how good the likelihood of this coming out in the customer's favor might be. Unless there has been a surge in counterfeits or a batch of mislabeled boxes from Intel, this must be otherwise pretty rare.
  11. My suspicion would go against Microcenter employee as suggested above.
  12. i doubt someone would swap out a $220 cpu for a $230 cpu...

You have to take the cpu out and find out what it says on it. If it says 3570k but shows up at 2500k, then you're golden for a hassle free replacement, but if it says 2500k....then idk....there's that trust thingy that is involved..

Goodluck though!
  13. soybeanpaste said:
    You have to take the cpu out and find out what it says on it. If it says 3570k but shows up at 2500k, then you're golden for a hassle free replacement, but if it says 2500k....then idk....there's that trust thingy that is involved..

A few posts above, he already said he removed the CPU, cleaned it up, the CPU did indeed say it was a 2500k, he has already returned it to Microcenter and Microcenter said they would investigate with Intel's help and get back to him in 1-2 days.
  14. I cant trust places like that, I only shop at newegg, and have been for years. I get all my parts from them and they have the best customer service imo.
  15. Follow Up - Over 3 weeks and still not resolved. I can say my system is running great with the i5-2500K, so really this is turning into a MICROCENTER CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE, I did not get what I purchased... I have been satisfied with Microcenter in the past; however customer service is based on how they handle issues. The Operations Manager stated he needed a couple of days to work this out and after 3 weeks he does not returned my calls. So now have a case open with Intel – At this point it is just principle and a 1 star rating for Microcenter.
  16. Devil_Dog_95 said:
    Follow Up - Over 3 weeks and still not resolved. I can say my system is running great with the i5-2500K, so really this is turning into a MICROCENTER CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE, I did not get what I purchased... I have been satisfied with Microcenter in the past; however customer service is based on how they handle issues. The Operations Manager stated he needed a couple of days to work this out and after 3 weeks he does not returned my calls. So now have a case open with Intel – At this point it is just principle and a 1 star rating for Microcenter.

May I suggest that you document your case with hard copy letters, and with delivery confirmation.
    Telephone calls are OK if you are dealing with honest and concientious people.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel Intel i5