Tags:
  • New Build
  • Power Supplies
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2012 7:29:57 AM

Im looking for advice on budget htpc, motherboard suggestion? maybe integrated hdmi?

I have a p4 3.4 laying around, 250gb hard drive, 600w power supply

More about : advice budget htpc

a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 2:20:54 PM

Is that a socket 478 or LGA775 P4? If u meant motherboards with HDMI fit for HTPC duty there are none for socket 478 and for LGA 775 only the G45 or GF9300 based mobos ought to be considered - and those are rare and not cheap so...
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 3:34:29 PM

I use the E-350s in the custom NES HTPCs I build and sell. Its nice and small to fit inside, but ive found that in order to get flawless video playback, I had to cram a 403 GT inside the NES case too. They are quite neat, but to me, the reason to use an all in one solution is for custom builds such as this. Next im gonna build on the Intel CPU and mini ITX board. And still use a low profile vid card.
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:40:01 PM

vrumor said:
I use the E-350s in the custom NES HTPCs I build and sell. Its nice and small to fit inside, but ive found that in order to get flawless video playback, I had to cram a 403 GT inside the NES case too. They are quite neat, but to me, the reason to use an all in one solution is for custom builds such as this. Next im gonna build on the Intel CPU and mini ITX board. And still use a low profile vid card.

Sounds like fun. I could never justify trying a Mobo/CPU combo like that due to never needing something to be small really.
Often cheaper and faster (although bigger) to pair a Sandy Bridge with a H61 Board
m
l
July 5, 2012 4:04:54 PM

Can you suggest a micro atx motherboard lga 775 that would support pentium cpu?

One I have now dont have hdmi audio and no spdif header but it does have spdif out, trying to figure out how I can get digital sound through hdmi. I have a pci express slot but old version
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 1:18:13 PM

Since you current board has an older 1.0/1.1 PCI express 16 slot just hit a GT520 HDMI
m
l
July 6, 2012 1:42:10 PM

Gt 520 come in a pci express older version?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 1:44:34 PM

PCIex 16 gen 2.0 cards are good to go with the older standard slots for the most part - u can also do a search for your exact board and later cards. If 2.1 is fine my 1st suggestion is actually a HD 5450 HDMI
m
l
July 6, 2012 1:49:29 PM

You might want to consider the side-effects of using a P4 CPU for a HTPC. You generally want that system to be quiet so it doesn't intrude on what you're watching, and P4s run quite warm. It isn't hugely expensive to get a cheap SB Pentium CPU (G630 is ideal), a discrete GPU and a motherboard...probably talking about £130 total for those.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 1:54:09 PM

i agree - in the long run a P4 based HTPC isn't a good idea Most times these days i slap on the following HTPCs

1. Digital files/casual blu ray : G530 + H61
2. 3D Blu Ray : A6-3500 +A55
m
l
July 6, 2012 11:06:12 PM

diellur said:
You might want to consider the side-effects of using a P4 CPU for a HTPC. You generally want that system to be quiet so it doesn't intrude on what you're watching, and P4s run quite warm. It isn't hugely expensive to get a cheap SB Pentium CPU (G630 is ideal), a discrete GPU and a motherboard...probably talking about £130 total for those.

Wouldn't a G530 work just as good but cheaper then a G630?
m
l
July 7, 2012 11:02:00 AM

Is amd better or intel? I like the 3d blue ray, what tv tuner you suggest, also power supply. I want a micro atx or itx not sure which yet, im going to get a htpc case as well looking at them at moment.
m
l
July 7, 2012 4:24:03 PM

drillsar said:
Is amd better or intel? I like the 3d blue ray, what tv tuner you suggest, also power supply. I want a micro atx or itx not sure which yet, im going to get a htpc case as well looking at them at moment.

In the HTPC area it depends on what you are doing. If you go with Intel you would need a decent video card for 3D Bluray, with an AMD APU you could spend less on the video card as it will work together with the APU for video processing.
m
l
July 7, 2012 5:21:38 PM

Ok I want amd then, I dont know much about amd. I will do my list today or tm
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 8:43:34 PM

drillsar said:
Ok I want amd then, I dont know much about amd.

This was for someone who wanted 3D Blu Ray disc playback in the living room but has a DIY home media server (for digital files) so went with a 60GB SSD just for W7 + XBMC and TMT5 :D  Just slot out the SSD for your hdd and you're good to go. If u have firmed up choice of tv card, it's also fine as the board has both PCI and PCIe slots and the case is fine for low profie expansion cards

Possible micro kb/touchpad to control your HTPC from the sofa:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-4G-2-4Ghz-iPazzPort-Googl...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 8:47:23 PM

drillsar check your private IMs. Left ya a message.
m
l
!