Layikblackmore

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Hi I got probally a dumb question but then again when it comes to computers I do not know a whole lot ,Anyways here is my question I will also include some of my pc specs that might help answer this question .
I recently bought a GTX 590 off ebay and I put the card in everything posted fine seems to work good but my question is I know it is a dual gpu how do I know that both gpu's are working and their are no problems ? I really do not have any games to test frame rates on skyrim i get a solid 60 on max settings with no drop in frames
My specs are this
Dell Xps 8300
I7Core2600k 3.4 ghz
16mb Corsair ram
1 TB hard drive I think its a basic junk one dont know
850 watt gold corsair power supply
windows 7 premium
If someone could help me figure this out it be great or what free programs I could use to bench this card or what not or what scores I should be getting .Regaurdless the card is under a guest warrenty through evga their so im fine I just wanna know .any help is appreaciated thx

Have you tried downloading and running GPU-Z?

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2137/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.2.html

Look in the NVIDIA SLI field and you should see Enabled (2 GPUs).
gpuz.png

Layikblackmore

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
When it shows 1536 Memory size is that because its x2 Gpu? Because this card is 3072 memory or something like that? like I said Im new to this on the bottom it shows I can select the gtx 590 twice like as if I were selecting a different card to see performance? how would I know then if this card is in good shape overall

1536 MB dedicated to each GPU.

Layikblackmore

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
You both been alot of help so far here is another question .I just swapped out my old ram in my dell from 8gb to 16 gb it runs at Dual Channel 1333mhz but when i open cpuid it shows each channel at 518, 592,666,667 frequency is this suppose to be like this or is their something I need to do

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I updated my last post with a link. This is what you should see when you open the program. I showed you the hardware monitor detached from the main window. This is also what you would use to overclock your 590 if you want. Simply slide the bar to the right until you hit the core and memory clock you desire then hit appy. If your system crashes then either raise the voltage which is NOT recommeded as you may fry your nice new card or lower the overclock until you are stable. You can run MSI kombuster which is part of the install package to test the gpu.

afterburner.jpg

What you're looking at is the SPD Timings Table that resides on the memory module's SPD EEPROM chip.

Click on the CPU-Z Memory tab to get the info for the memory operating timings currently in use.

You should be seeing 666.7 MHz, or something close to that, in the DRAM Frequency field

Layikblackmore

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
I did the wavy lines in msi and it seems the second gpu gets alot hotter any way to alter that ? ALSO the 7th post how do you bring up that diagram like that? I got so many questions im such a noob but all help is welcomed

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Click on the detach button on the top of the hardware monitor. Click on settings and then the monitoring tab and you can select exaclty what you want to watch. One gpu will always run hotter than the other even though they are on the same card.

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

You'll probably just have to go in there and have a good look around but chances are it will be under something like an Advanced tab, or a Tweaker/Memory Management tab. Do you know what motherboard you have?

Layikblackmore

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
I dont even know to be honest like I said this pc is pretty crappy compared to what ive seen out their its just a dell xps 8300 all i did was add a 850 gold corsair psu 16 gb corsair ram and a gtx 590 .heh if I had it my way id like to learn how to build a decent rig . So anyways when i restart the computer go to set up options then to advanced?

Layikblackmore

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
So anyways I went to set up options and I am not finding anything for memory not even in advanced maybe I cannot switch it? because I got a generic motherboard idk
all I do see is something that is not enabled but it is listed under Cpu configuration
(Limit CPUID Value) This feild limits the maximum valu the processor standard cpuid function will support ,I dont know if that means anything just tnhought I would throw that out their