Installing 32 bit programs on windows 7 64 bit

Claude Bravmann

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I have 2 64 bit Win 7 computers, an HP desktop and an HP laptop. I run Quicken 2011 on both computers and save my data file in Dropbox so that I can access the file from either computer.

In the case of the laptop, I can open and manipulate the QHI (Quicken Home Inventory) file, but I get error messages when I try to open the same file on my desktop computer.

Any ideas?

Unable to Open, Install, or Uninstall Quicken on Microsoft Windows 7 or Vista
Updated: 8/11/2011 | Article ID: GEN82595

Cause

When you're not logged in with administrator privileges, and you try to install or uninstall Quicken, you will receive an error.

Instructions

To verify how you're currently logged in:

On the Windows taskbar, click Start, and then choose Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click User Accounts.
If you're not logged in as an administrator, log out, and then log back in as an administrator.
If you're still having problems:

Use the QcleanUI Tool to remove Quicken from your computer.
Insert your Quicken CD-ROM. If you are prompted to install Quicken, click No or Cancel.
Click the Start button and select Computer.
Right-click the CD-ROM drive that contains the Quicken program CD and select Explore.
Right-click the install.exe file and select Run as Administrator. (If you are using a downloaded version of Quicken, locate the Quicken download file and right-click this file, and select Run as Administrator) If you receive a warning about unauthorized access, click Allow.
If you are prompted for your Administrator password, enter the password. If you did not establish an Administrator password when you installed Windows, click Continue.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install Quicken.
When prompted to update the program during the installation process, click Update Now to install the latest updates.

Claude Bravmann

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

I tried pursuing the replies that I received, none of which worked. I spent a considerable amount of time with tech support people at Quicken, then HP and finally Microsoft. I allowed each of these tech support people to take remote control of my computer, all to no avail. The final suggestion, from the person at HP, was that I reinstall the Win 7 operting system, which I'm somewhat reluctant to do because of the numerous files, including executables, that I would have to save on a removal drive.

Claude Bravmann

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
The error message reads "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application." This is the error message I get whenever I click on the "Inventory" icon while running Quicken DeLuxe 2011 on my desktop computer. When I run Quicken on my laptop I can click on the "Inventory" icon and the Inventory sub-system opens as expected, allowing me to add, edit or delet inventory items.

Claude Bravmann

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

The data file which I use is saved in my Dropbox folder, allowing me to access the file from my main computer (desktop/HP Touchscreen with AMD processor) as well as from my laptop (when I travel).

I can open the file using either computer. I can open the Inventory subsystem on my laptop, but whenever I try to do the same on my desktop computer, I get the error msg indicated earlier.

Right, so try to get things as basic as you can first. Export a fresh copy of the file, open it from the local drive.

Claude Bravmann

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I created a new Quicken data file, added a couple of accounts and data entries and activated the Inventory subsystem. When I tried to launch the Inventory subsystem so that I could add 1 or 2 items, I got the same error message, so it seems as if the main Quicken program (which I've installed and de-installed a number of times) or the operating system running on my touch screen desktop computer is flawed, or the AMD chip on the machine simply doesn't function the same as the Intel core 5 chip on my laptop.

Needless to say, when I call Quicken and they're unable to solve the problem, they blame the issue on HP or Microsoft. When I call HP and they can't solve it, they blame the problem on Quicken or Win 7 (i.e., Microsoft) and when I call Microsoft tech support and they can't solve it, they blame the problem on Quicken and/or HP.

tunedout

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011

I would have to say this would be your best bet ^^^. I have tried and tried to work with quick books in a domain and get all sorts of errors. I keep an updated backup of original files and whenever I revert back to those files in the event of an error, It works as it should. (My clients use a different version of QB and it is 2010 though).

Tuned