Has anyone ever done useful multi-player benchmarking

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hello All,

I love Tom's Hardware but in all the bench marking they seem wash their hands of doing meaningful multi-player benchmarking.

I mean I play MMO''s mainly. WoW, SWTOR, Tera and also play BF3.

I game on a PC to play with other people.

I never really cared what my frame rate was in "Crushblow to Krazzworks" hell I am usually AFK peeing while taking the flight master. So these benchmarks mean very little. I care what my frame rate is in raid or even standing in front of the bank on a high pop server.

Has any other site done multiplayer FPS benchmarking?

And if not there has got to be some way to do this.

Even if Tom's had a army of volunteers like us create a bunch of level 1's on a server and all do a set of actions for each bench.

Just a thought.

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Yes but the result you get are not that meaningful to the people you provide them to.

What percent of BF3 players player the campaign and never played mutliplayer.

Saying it is impossible is just silly.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Feel free to spend 50+ hours PER system configuration for hundreds of possible configurations in order to get a consistent average.

When you have spent your 5000+ hours benchmarking vastly unpredictable multiplayer performance, feel free to be cannibalized by the community from your statistics that still have such a large margin of error they are rendered redundant.

It's not impossible, it's just so impractical to create these benchmarks that it's not worth it. Single player events are all scripted and are the same every time, so you know the frame-rate depicted is going to be accurate.

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

No matter how accurate or repeatable using a single player benchmark to benchmark a multiplatyer game is irrelevant.

Question:
What color is the sky.

Answer:
2+2=4

The answer is accurate, the answer is repeatable, but the answer is still irrelevant.

Take the World of Warcraft benchmark.

The default Tom's uses is the flight path from Crushblow to Krazz Works on a FRAPS run.

To remove as many variables as possible we pick a flight path in a empty zone and FRAP it.

Then we offer this benchmark as a tool to suggest equipment for WoW player.

Problem is this is an MMO and the variables that they removed for the benchmark are the other people, the other people that are require to play most of the game.

I play mostly MMO and most of the benchmarking is biased in this nature.

I necro'd this thread because it came up again as I shop for suggestion for equipment for Planetside 2