Suggestion on good ram, psu and cooling?

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012
Hi everyone, I am still on the very first stage of choosing the parts of my first build.

So what I have chosen so far for my build are:

Case: BitFenix Colossus

CPU: i7 3820 going to OC to 4.2ghz and plan to water cool it

Graphic Card:

2 way sli GTX 670 Evga SC 2gb
or 2 way sli Evga SC 4 gb version
or even 2 way sli Evga FTW with gtx 680 waterblock

I want to watercool all the gpu, so if I am getting normal 2 gb or 4gb SC version, I will wait til their water block is released

MOBO: Asus Rampage IV extreme

I want to get some advises on good ram, psu and water cooling that would go well with my build.

I would like to have some room for future upgrade too, that's why I have chosen the x79 instead of z77

So for ram I would like to only fill up 4 slots for now and achieve 16gb, so they would be 4 x 4gb ram.

Therefore any suggestion on 4gb ram especially in RED so it would match the MOBO?

I have done some research, but still not sure whether buying 1600 MHz ram or even higher one, and is it worthy to OC your ram as well?

I have one more question about the ram, let's say if I get 4 1600Mhz for now, and in the future if I get another 4 in 2133Mhz, would I still be benefit from the extra? (So would it actually be 4x 1600 + 4x2133 or just 8x1600 ?)

my budget is about $600 for all PSU, ram and cooling.

I would also note that BitFenix Colossus can only install 240mm rad.

Thanks.

ferris847

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2012

I have forgotten to mention, i 'd be using this computer to do 3d rendering works as well, although the gtx is not ideal for such, but most of the 3d rendering program i use seems to be cpu intensive , so i would like to hv an i7. I know 3820 isnt the best i7 out there, but it isnt bad either, and it allows me to use a x79 mobo, so there will be room for future upgrade.

also after years i would like to go 3way or even 4 way of sli gtx670, for upgrade purpose, therefore the cost between the rampage iv extreme and a z77 that support 4 way sli isn't that big either.

I have already considered for a long time whether I would go for x79 or z77. But i have chosen the x79 at last, just for future upgrade availability by the MOBO, 4 more ram slots, better cpu will be available to 6-8 cores, 4 way sli supported.

So perhaps I should buy a PSU that is strong enough for 3-4 way sli too?