Sign in with
Your question

Can Servers/Workstations be used for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
November 12, 2012 3:39:30 PM

Hi guys, can Servers/Workstations be used for gaming? As for gaming, I do not mean I will be playing the game in good graphics or anything, just to open up many game clients at once to bot, and help would be great, thanks guys!
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 4:47:18 PM

It should be fine as long as you add a graphics card that can handle the games.
m
l
November 12, 2012 5:07:25 PM

@flexxar Do you mean a high end graphics card, or a decent one? And would you suggest a workstation or a server? And also, is renting a server better than buying my own? Sorry for all the questions, thank you so much :p 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:16:46 PM

It sounds like you don't have with server/workstation already and are looking to buy one.

Your original question was "CAN a workstation/server play games?". It can, but is not ideal. Your money will go much further if you just buy a pc. A midrange graphics card can play all games, but probably not on the highest settings. For you, I would recommend buying a premade computer. You can build your own, but you have to be prepared for a big learning experience.
m
l
November 12, 2012 5:34:11 PM

@flexxar The reason why I'm not buying a gaming p/c is because I'm actually going to use this server/workstation to bot on the games. So I was looking for something that can steadily bot 60 game clients at once, and unfortunately I don't think any gaming p/c can do that so I looked up workstations and servers :p  And yeah I didn't buy it yet, but I'm deciding on what to do, with your help ^.^
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 5:52:01 PM

As you go up in price, computer components have big diminishing returns. If I was going to buy a computer right now to handle the biggest workload possible for the lease expense, I would buy a computer with an fx 8350 in it. That cpu costs about $200. If I spend over $1000 on a server cpu, I could get about 50% more performance, but that wouldn't be worth it for me.

I would get a pc that has an fx 8350 cpu for about $700 for a complete build. If it turns out it is not enough power for you, build a second computer.

This might help. It's a list of cpu's total compute power.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
m
l
November 12, 2012 6:30:44 PM

What sort of games? It would really depend how the game(s) actually operates, and likely how you are botting.

If your bot sits on top of the game and does screen scrapes, and moves your mouse around, then you're looking at a very challenging task, especially if the game is full screen (requires minimizing to drop focus). If you can instead bot by intercepting packets, and sending back packets (no mouse action required) your requirements are much much lower.

If you are talking about something like runescape, where there's minimal hardware accelleration on low settings, and it's within a browser, you can probably run several on a server, assuming you have enough memory and cores to do it. (anything with software rendering is essentially gpu agnostic)

Renting first seems like a good idea, just to see if you can. Buying a server to see if it works is a lot of risk up front, if you rent a server for a month, and it doesn't work the way you want, you can stop renting the server.

Also, shame on you, botting is bad.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 6:39:20 PM

djscribbles said:
What sort of games? It would really depend how the game(s) actually operates, and likely how you are botting.

Also, shame on you, botting is bad.

This and this.

60 Bots and 60 clients of the game is A LOT to run. Even a low requirement game like KO.. Ive only been able to do 15 clients at once (lowest res, window screen) With an i5 2500k build.

Bot was using screen scraping as djscribbles described.

My opinion is renting is going to probably be the cheapest and most effective way.
m
l
November 12, 2012 8:05:49 PM

Well, I have a 5500$ Budget, and the game I will be botting in is called Maplestory, kinda lame I know :p  >.> I can open around 13 bots at a 80% usage with 16 GB Ram & i7 3770K ~ unclocked
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 8:47:42 PM

stesy said:
Well, I have a 5500$ Budget, and the game I will be botting in is called Maplestory, kinda lame I know :p  >.> I can open around 13 bots at a 80% usage with 16 GB Ram & i7 3770K ~ unclocked

Just brief research... Looks like that game is more GPU heavy then anything. What graphics card do you have?

*edit* and now found a forum claiminging it's cpu intensive lool. Still like to know what ur gpu is thou.
m
l
November 12, 2012 9:29:50 PM

The graphics card on this computer is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, but does the graphics card matter if I don't plan on playing this computer? Cause I'm only planning to bot on it haha, and also how do I thank someone on these forums? ^.^
m
l
November 12, 2012 9:38:36 PM

For what you're trying to do, I don't think going up to a server or workstation class machine will get you anything extra. Workstation class GPUs are far more expensive than regular GPUs due to the extra openGL and other extensions. Server Class CPUs are optimized for multiple CPU but usually remove multimedia extensions which you probably would want to keep for gaming. Plus they tend to be expensive.

The other thing I'd be wondering about is if multiple clients of Maplestory would distribute CPU load evenly across all of your cores. Imagine if 13 clients worked on an i7-3770 but they were all running on a single core, then if you could figure out how to balance the load across 4 cores, you could be running closer to 50. But short of virtualizing or writing a new client, I have no idea how to do that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 9:38:56 PM

stesy said:
The graphics card on this computer is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, but does the graphics card matter if I don't plan on playing this computer? Cause I'm only planning to bot on it haha, and also how do I thank someone on these forums? ^.^

Yes it still matters :) . When you have 13 instances of the game open. Even on low settings, window mode etc. That's A LOT of things the gpu needs to process and a lot for your cpu to process. What i'd do to start. (start cheapest) is OC your cpu first. Seems like a logical beginning. Then do some testing as far as how many instances and bots u can run. If you get a good increase then you can bet that the game is mostly cpu intensive (just seeing the game i bet it's cpu nto exactly your battlefield 3 graphics ;)  lol) and you just need raw cpu power to achieve what your after. Start there and see what results you get.

To thank someone the best way is to select them as the best answer. That or just send them a message.
m
l
November 12, 2012 9:48:37 PM

Here's what I'd suggest.
Get 5 computers with these approximate specs:
FX 8350/8320
Radeon 7870/7850
16/8 GB of RAM

Then set up each one to run bots. You'd have approximately 13 X 5 or 65 bots.

The power usage would be off the charts..
For a more power friendly alternative, use i5 3570s.

And, it'd be totally bad @$$ for LAN gaming.
m
l
November 12, 2012 9:59:24 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions ^.^ gosh so many good answers hehe, thank you tomshardware community :p 
m
l
!