Sign in with
Your question

Receiving driver crash error during gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2012 10:39:33 PM

Occasionally when gaming (nothing that demanding, just Diablo 2:LoD) the game screen will go black for a moment, then return with only select sprites displayed on the screen over that black background. These sprites seem to be anything that moves i.e. NPCs, my avatar, or items on the ground but only if I mouse over those items.

My GPU is: Sapphire 1GB Radeon HD 7770 and the error message reads something like: "The AMD driver crashed unexpectedly but has recovered. Click here for more info."

When Alt+Tab-ing out of the Diablo 2 window and then opening it again, everything returns to normal. "Clicking here" for more info doesn't actually open any more info... strange.

I realize this is all a bit ambiguous but its the best information I can offer. I'll try to get an exact copy of the error message up here and perhaps try to figure out what program is prompting that error message (it is displayed in the bottom right portion of the Windows 7 taskbar)

P.S. I'm using Windows 7 Home Prem. 64-bit
May 11, 2012 3:50:21 AM

Did you tried 12.4 driver from AMD? Please try and install the driver cleanly (meaning you uninstall the old driver before installing the new driver)
m
l
May 11, 2012 6:55:34 PM

I uninstalled the previous driver and its management software (Catalyst control center) which forced me to use the motherboard's video output connections instead of the GPU's while those drivers were temporarily disabled. After checking again to make sure the drivers were completely uninstalled, I was prompted to restart the computer. Upon restart the monitor no longer recognizes a connection to either the GPU or the motherboard! I've tried connecting it to the GPU's DVI-D connection, but obviously this won't work yet because I do not have the driver installed. However, I was surprised to find that the monitor doesn't work for any connection on the motherboard (it has DVI-D and VGA).

I can't troubleshoot this problem if I can't see what's happening on my computer! Please help! I want to get this resolved right away.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2012 5:44:37 AM

What?

When you plug the monitor cable to your GPU, it should be booting fine to windows. But without a driver. Please check again.
m
l
May 12, 2012 7:40:01 PM

refillable said:
What?

When you plug the monitor cable to your GPU, it should be booting fine to windows. But without a driver. Please check again.

Using the monitor that initially had this issue, I was unable to get it to to recognize a signal from the PC, whether I connected to the mobo or the gpu. This occurred immediately on reboot after uninstalling the display driver software. I managed to find an old VGA monitor that successfully displayed the POST screen, so I was able to go into the BIOS (after Clearing CMOS) and revert the settings to how they should be set up. Luckily, after saving these BIOS settings, the computer booted normally and I was able to download the driver again from the manufacturer's website, and all is working properly again. The monitor I was initially using is working again, and I have yet to receive the error message that caused me to start this thread in the first place.

Not sure if it's gone completely, but so far so good. Thanks for the help. I'll post here in a day or two if anything pops up, but otherwise I'll select best answer and the thread should close. Thanks again!
m
l
June 15, 2012 12:44:32 AM

refillable said:
Did you tried 12.4 driver from AMD? Please try and install the driver cleanly (meaning you uninstall the old driver before installing the new driver)

Sir, the driver 12.4 .. I cant get it.. i Clean installed it from AMD's website but it still shows 11.9. I have the same problem.. though i do not loose my display on un-installing the drivers. Its HD 6770.
m
l
July 11, 2012 5:20:10 AM

I personally have a very similar system, and I was having the same issue. I couldn't find anything on the net about it either.
Driver updates, bios updates, firmware updates fixed nothing.
Basically to fix it, I underclocked my GPU to 1000/1125 mhz. This decreased performance slightly, but it fixed the driver crashing issue. I still have yet to fine tune it, but 1000/1125 is stable and gives me more than enough performance.
It appears it's a fault in the chip, very annoying.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 13, 2012 7:50:59 AM

It happens due to Time out Detection and Recovery feature in Windows Vista and 7 (sort of a fail safe from display freezing and the need to reboot the system)

pls visit the link below

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116Rad...

the problem you are facing is a common one with amd graphic cards

Some of the problems listed there are
1. inadequate psu
2. oc'ing the card (happens to me even if i oc through catalyst...amd overdrive)
3. BIOS version (sometimes you may have to revert to an older version)

check it out might help
m
l
July 28, 2012 1:13:15 AM

I'm sorry for those that are still having problems with this issue. In all, I was forced to not only update the drivers for both the video card and specifically for my monitor, but to completely delete them (causing the monitor not to work; i had to use an older monitor with VGA connection) and then install the most updated driver versions from scratch. Perhaps this will work. It's at least worth a try if you don't want to OC your cpu (still don't understand how that fixed the problem for one of you, but whatever does the trick, eh?)
m
l
!