PC Freezing with new Radeon 7850

neaera

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Recently my GTX 280 died so I got the Asus Radeon 7850 DirectCU II, but after I installed it my computer keeps locking up completely, seemingly at random but mostly when gaming.
When it happens, everything completely locks up, picture and sound stops, and I have to reboot.
Temperatures at these occurrences are completely normal, and I have tried running the Furmark stress test for 45 minutes straight at max load and it went perfectly fine.
Also I have a Corsair 850w PSU which should be plenty for my system as I only have 1 gfx card.

I am really at a loss here, noone I know can figure out what is wrong, anyone have any ideas?

proaxis

Honorable
May 12, 2012

my asus radeon 7850 direct cu ii came yesterday, and im having the exact same problem. furmark stress test at max load worked fantastic, but then i'll lock up just browsing the web randomly and have to reboot. i dont get it.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Did you run driver sweeper to get rid of all old nvidia drivers? If so, I've heard some bad stories of people with 7850 driver issues but I'm hoping that was just an earlier issue. Hrmm, might have to RMA

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Ok so did you unistall old nvidia drivers? if not then do it and if that doesn't work try updating your AMD drivers and even if that doesn't work then reinstall your OS

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
same here, i play eve online ALOT.. and i dont mean 1 account.. around 7 or 8 and out of the blue (while running all 8 of course) the computer just locks up.. also i should mention i have desktop issues, u know that thing you do with your mouse when your talking on the phone ? making boxes on your wallpaper ? well i always have the same portion of my desktop where the mouse does nothing, the icons can be moved to the non-affected portion but a ghost of the icon remains in affection region of the desktop, however my last video card was 2x radeon 5770, but my radeon 7870 was only used in a fresh install of windows so.. i have my doubts its remaining drivers.. also no nvidia card has ever touched this awesome tower :)

if anyone here plays eve online, i can reproduce the freeze by going into eve online and opening the galaxy map.. boom.. pc is frozen.. cant click nothing type anything.. hear anything.. just pure frozen.. however, when i brought the pc to a computer store and tried to reproduce the freeze.. nothing happend.. the hell ? however.. in the computer store.. he only hookeed up 1 monitor.. whereas now.. i use 3
2 1920 x 1080
and 1 1680 x 1050 (on active display port thingy)

i also tried using only 2 monitors and leaving the active display port'd monitor unplugged, but no change.. it froze anyway....

someone please help me....