Closed Solved

AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE getting too hot.

My Phenom II x4 970 BE (3.5 Ghz) is running at 69-70 C when under load, and 44-49 C when not under load. I have an after market cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler). Stock speeds, haven't overclocked anything. When I play intensive games like Battlefield 3, the temperature goes up, and I'll have to quit when I'm in the middle of the game. I know this isn't normal. I've applied the thermal paste as well. My Bios are at it's default settings. So is there a way to bring down my CPU temperatures?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My full specs:

MOBO: Asus M5A88-M
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE (3.5Ghz)
GPU: GTX 560 2GB
PSU: 600W
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom
  1. I don't know what the thermal limit is on that cpu, but you might be within it's safe zone. If not, then the best thing to do is reapply thermal paste. Wipe the old stuff away and apply a small amount. Just enough to cover it and smooth it out with a credit card. If you add too little, the heatsink will have gaps and wont make good contact. If you add too much, the paste will act as an insulating barrier and will increase cpu heat.

If that doesn't work, then you'll have to replace your heatsink. It might not be good enough for your cpu.
  2. Thank you for replying. I'll check how much thermal paste I've applied and report back about it.
  3. Best answer
    You are right, 69° at 3.5 Ghz is to much/not normal. As suggested, try to re-seat your heatsink and re-apply thermal paste. A very thin layer without any bubbles in it is perfect.

If that doesn't work, check the airflow/fans in your case.
  4. Best answer selected by Natsu Dragneel.
  5. I've re-applied the thermal paste and everything seems to be working correctly now. I'd put too much of it earlier. My idle temperatures are around 35-36, and 49-51 when under load. Thank you all for replying.
  6. I explained that first and much more thoroughly. Why wasn't mine picked as best answer? What's up with that?
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Cooling Phenom Components