resize icons via tweekui

I have resized my desktop icons (32pix) via tweekui, but I would like to
resize them back to their orginal size 132. However, adjusting the size in
the tweekui has no effect on the desktop icons. (the icons within files size
according to the value placed in the icon size box in tweekui).

Any ideas?
12 answers Last reply
More about resize icons tweekui

    Right the desktop and select properties. Go to the settings tab. Hit the
    advanced button. On the general tab, make the desired selection in the drop
    down box.

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have resized my desktop icons (32pix) via tweekui, but I would like to
    > resize them back to their orginal size 132. However, adjusting the size in
    > the tweekui has no effect on the desktop icons. (the icons within files
    > size
    > according to the value placed in the icon size box in tweekui).
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Walter - Thanks.

    Doesn't quiet do the job. The text changes sizes underneath the desktop
    icons, but the icons themselves remian small. (I resized them using tweekUI
    to 36 pixels). I now want to restore them to their original 136 size. I
    download the latest version of tweekUI but to no avail. The icons within
    files change size as I change the pixel count but the desktop icons always
    remain small.

    "Walter Clayton" wrote:

    > Right the desktop and select properties. Go to the settings tab. Hit the
    > advanced button. On the general tab, make the desired selection in the drop
    > down box.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >

    > "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have resized my desktop icons (32pix) via tweekui, but I would like to
    > > resize them back to their orginal size 132. However, adjusting the size in
    > > the tweekui has no effect on the desktop icons. (the icons within files
    > > size
    > > according to the value placed in the icon size box in tweekui).
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    Ahhh, should have caught that the first time.

    Copy and paste everything between the lines, including the trailing space
    into a file called shelliconsize.reg
    ___<copy below this line>___
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    "Shell Icon Size"="32"

    __<copy above this line>____

    Double click on it and allow it to merge into the registry. This will reset
    the desktop icon size back to default. The value may be set anywhere between
    16 and 48 (not the size you thought). Once done reboot the machine.

    --

    > Walter - Thanks.
    >
    > Doesn't quiet do the job. The text changes sizes underneath the desktop
    > icons, but the icons themselves remian small. (I resized them using
    > tweekUI
    > to 36 pixels). I now want to restore them to their original 136 size. I
    > download the latest version of tweekUI but to no avail. The icons within
    > files change size as I change the pixel count but the desktop icons always
    > remain small.
    >
    > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
    >
    >> Right the desktop and select properties. Go to the settings tab. Hit the
    >> advanced button. On the general tab, make the desired selection in the
    >> drop
    >> down box.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Walter Clayton
    >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>

    >> "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have resized my desktop icons (32pix) via tweekui, but I would like to
    >> > resize them back to their orginal size 132. However, adjusting the size
    >> > in
    >> > the tweekui has no effect on the desktop icons. (the icons within files
    >> > size
    >> > according to the value placed in the icon size box in tweekui).
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?

    Walter.

    Couldn't find the file you mentioned? (used the search feature in XP). I
    found several Shell files but not the shelliconsize.reg, none looked correct.

    "Walter Clayton" wrote:

    > Ahhh, should have caught that the first time.
    >
    > Copy and paste everything between the lines, including the trailing space
    > into a file called shelliconsize.reg
    > ___<copy below this line>___
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    > "Shell Icon Size"="32"
    >

    > __<copy above this line>____
    >
    > Double click on it and allow it to merge into the registry. This will reset
    > the desktop icon size back to default. The value may be set anywhere between
    > 16 and 48 (not the size you thought). Once done reboot the machine.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >

    > "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Walter - Thanks.
    > >
    > > Doesn't quiet do the job. The text changes sizes underneath the desktop
    > > icons, but the icons themselves remian small. (I resized them using
    > > tweekUI
    > > to 36 pixels). I now want to restore them to their original 136 size. I
    > > download the latest version of tweekUI but to no avail. The icons within
    > > files change size as I change the pixel count but the desktop icons always
    > > remain small.
    > >
    > > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Right the desktop and select properties. Go to the settings tab. Hit the
    > >> advanced button. On the general tab, make the desired selection in the
    > >> drop
    > >> down box.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Walter Clayton
    > >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > >>

    > >> "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Tweakui doesn't change icon sizes. The standard is 32 pixels. All I can think is you are talking about thumbnails. The desktop is blocked from using thumbnails. So noone has a clue what you are talking about.

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52146DAB-CCCE-4FC7-9693-3336AB4B6CAC@microsoft.com...
    > Walter - Thanks.
    >
    > Doesn't quiet do the job. The text changes sizes underneath the desktop
    > icons, but the icons themselves remian small. (I resized them using tweekUI
    > to 36 pixels). I now want to restore them to their original 136 size. I
    > download the latest version of tweekUI but to no avail. The icons within
    > files change size as I change the pixel count but the desktop icons always
    > remain small.
    >
    > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
    >
    >> Right the desktop and select properties. Go to the settings tab. Hit the
    >> advanced button. On the general tab, make the desired selection in the drop
    >> down box.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Walter Clayton
    >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>

    >> "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have resized my desktop icons (32pix) via tweekui, but I would like to
    >> > resize them back to their orginal size 132. However, adjusting the size in
    >> > the tweekui has no effect on the desktop icons. (the icons within files
    >> > size
    >> > according to the value placed in the icon size box in tweekui).
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?

    Dave.

    I'm sure I used tweekui to do it. if not how?

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Tweakui doesn't change icon sizes. The standard is 32 pixels. All I can think is you are talking about thumbnails. The desktop is blocked from using thumbnails. So noone has a clue what you are talking about.

    > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52146DAB-CCCE-4FC7-9693-3336AB4B6CAC@microsoft.com...
    > > Walter - Thanks.
    > >
    > > Doesn't quiet do the job. The text changes sizes underneath the desktop
    > > icons, but the icons themselves remian small. (I resized them using tweekUI
    > > to 36 pixels). I now want to restore them to their original 136 size. I
    > > download the latest version of tweekUI but to no avail. The icons within
    > > files change size as I change the pixel count but the desktop icons always
    > > remain small.
    > >
    > > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Right the desktop and select properties. Go to the settings tab. Hit the
    > >> advanced button. On the general tab, make the desired selection in the drop
    > >> down box.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Walter Clayton
    > >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > >>

    > >> "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    To resize icons, go to Control Panel/Display/Appearance/advanced. Under
    Item, scroll down and click on Icon. You can the size of all icons on 1
    radio button and the size of associated text on the other.
    > Dave.
    >
    > I'm sure I used tweekui to do it. if not how?
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Tweakui doesn't change icon sizes. The standard is 32 pixels. All I can
    >> think is you are talking about thumbnails. The desktop is blocked from
    >> using thumbnails. So noone has a clue what you are talking about.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    >> "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Walter - Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > Doesn't quiet do the job. The text changes sizes underneath the
    desktop
    >> > icons, but the icons themselves remian small. (I resized them using
    >> > tweekUI
    >> > to 36 pixels). I now want to restore them to their original 136 size.
    >> > download the latest version of tweekUI but to no avail. The icons
    >> > within
    >> > files change size as I change the pixel count but the desktop icons
    >> > always
    >> > remain small.

    Riverdog05

    Thanks, worked a charm.

    One other question, I can not get the drop shadow to work. Under system
    properties/advanced/performance/visual effects - checking and un-checking the
    "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" has no effect. I have a
    backround color around each of the icon titles on my desktop.

    Any ideas?

    "riverdogs05" wrote:

    > To resize icons, go to Control Panel/Display/Appearance/advanced. Under
    > Item, scroll down and click on Icon. You can the size of all icons on 1
    > radio button and the size of associated text on the other.
    > "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Dave.
    > >
    > > I'm sure I used tweekui to do it. if not how?
    > >
    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Tweakui doesn't change icon sizes. The standard is 32 pixels. All I can
    > >> think is you are talking about thumbnails. The desktop is blocked from
    > >> using thumbnails. So noone has a clue what you are talking about.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > >> "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > desktop

    > the

    > advanced.

    > like

    Active Desktop prevents drop shadows being used. Do you have any desktop items or r/c desktop - Arrange Icons - Lock Desktop Items must be unticked. Desktop items are not icons but web pages or pictures embedded into the desktop. It's a compatability feature these days as noone used it when first released in IE4.

    "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEDEE5F3-D239-4C3F-A8E5-5E4329243184@microsoft.com...
    > Riverdog05
    >
    > Thanks, worked a charm.
    >
    > One other question, I can not get the drop shadow to work. Under system
    > properties/advanced/performance/visual effects - checking and un-checking the
    > "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" has no effect. I have a
    > backround color around each of the icon titles on my desktop.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > "riverdogs05" wrote:
    >
    >> To resize icons, go to Control Panel/Display/Appearance/advanced. Under
    >> Item, scroll down and click on Icon. You can the size of all icons on 1
    >> radio button and the size of associated text on the other.
    >> "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Dave.
    >> >
    >> > I'm sure I used tweekui to do it. if not how?

    >> desktop

    >> the

    >> advanced.

    >> like

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Dave.
    I have 'Lock web items on desktop' unchecked, under 'Arrange Icons By' but
    still have the boxes around the text on desktop.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Active Desktop prevents drop shadows being used. Do you have any desktop items or r/c desktop - Arrange Icons - Lock Desktop Items must be unticked. Desktop items are not icons but web pages or pictures embedded into the desktop. It's a compatability feature these days as noone used it when first released in IE4.

    > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEDEE5F3-D239-4C3F-A8E5-5E4329243184@microsoft.com...
    > > Riverdog05
    > >
    > > Thanks, worked a charm.
    > >
    > > One other question, I can not get the drop shadow to work. Under system
    > > properties/advanced/performance/visual effects - checking and un-checking the
    > > "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" has no effect. I have a
    > > backround color around each of the icon titles on my desktop.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > "riverdogs05" wrote:
    > >
    > >> To resize icons, go to Control Panel/Display/Appearance/advanced. Under
    > >> Item, scroll down and click on Icon. You can the size of all icons on 1
    > >> radio button and the size of associated text on the other.
    > >> "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> desktop

    > >> the

    > >> advanced.

    > >> like

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In article <E8BE47C7-50B3-4419-8DDC-5D00CC53F6F3@microsoft.com>,
    stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Dave.
    > I have 'Lock web items on desktop' unchecked, under 'Arrange Icons By' but
    > still have the boxes around the text on desktop.
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    > > Active Desktop prevents drop shadows being used. Do you have any desktop items or r/c desktop - Arrange Icons - Lock Desktop Items must be unticked. Desktop items are not icons but web pages or pictures embedded into the desktop. It's a compatability feature these days as noone used it when first released in IE4.
    > >
    > > --
    > > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    > > "stevedelta" <stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEDEE5F3-D239-4C3F-A8E5-5E4329243184@microsoft.com...
    > > > Riverdog05
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, worked a charm.
    > > >
    > > > One other question, I can not get the drop shadow to work. Under system
    > > > properties/advanced/performance/visual effects - checking and un-checking the
    > > > "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" has no effect. I have a
    > > > backround color around each of the icon titles on my desktop.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?

    Here is how I got rid of that. Get system properties. Either by right
    clicking on My Computer and choosing properties, or if your keyboard has
    a windows key hold that down and push the "pause break" key.
    At any rate once you are there choose the tab that says advanced, and
    then pick the first item which is visual effects. Put a check on the
    second one from the bottem. It says use drop shadows for icon labels on
    the desktop.
    for what it's worth
    Dave Smith
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Still can not get rid of the shahow boxes around the text on the desktop icons
    Steve.
    "Dave Smith" wrote:

    > In article <E8BE47C7-50B3-4419-8DDC-5D00CC53F6F3@microsoft.com>,
    > stevedelta@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > > Dave.
    > > I have 'Lock web items on desktop' unchecked, under 'Arrange Icons By' but
    > > still have the boxes around the text on desktop.
    > >
    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Active Desktop prevents drop shadows being used. Do you have any desktop items or r/c desktop - Arrange Icons - Lock Desktop Items must be unticked. Desktop items are not icons but web pages or pictures embedded into the desktop. It's a compatability feature these days as noone used it when first released in IE4.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/

    > Here is how I got rid of that. Get system properties. Either by right
    > clicking on My Computer and choosing properties, or if your keyboard has
    > a windows key hold that down and push the "pause break" key.
    > At any rate once you are there choose the tab that says advanced, and
    > then pick the first item which is visual effects. Put a check on the
    > second one from the bottem. It says use drop shadows for icon labels on
    > the desktop.
    > for what it's worth
    > Dave Smith

Configuration Desktop Icons Customization Icons Windows XP