loprojoe

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Okay, my first problem was buying a pre-built HP computer. My second problem was thinking the case would be gaming upgrade friendly. So maybe we can forget those things lol.

HP - H81414 motherboard specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03517389

I yanked the weak video card and power supply and put the following in:

Thermaltake Smart 850w power supply (overpowered, but I will get to that):
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=2085

EVGA Geforce GTX 660 superclocked:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+GeForce+GTX+660+2GB+GDDR5+PCI+Express+3.0+Graphics+Card/6820043.p?id=1218808244387&skuId=6820043&st=evga geforce gtx 660&cp=1&lp=1

This tower had an odd memory configuration of (2)4gb and (1) 2gb...yanked them and went with 4x4gb of the following:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Vengeance+2-Pack+4GB+DDR3+DIMM+Desktop+Memory+Kit/2904596.p;jsessionid=930308D20951F603D4A92F45F3466D33.bbolsp-app02-49?id=1218361848253&skuId=2904596&st=corsair vengeance&cp=1&lp=1

I bought the tower with the idea of tossing my old radeon hd 5770 and 600w power supply in and playing Guild Wars 2 on medium settings. This set up was fine, if you dont mind crappy visuals. I decided to upgrade the video card. Ended up getting a evga gt 640 superclock...was worse than my 5770...but it ran with no problems. Got tired of low end cards and went with the gtx 660 sc...wow what a card compared to what I had been using. Ran GW2 on ultra settings, and never below 50 fps...I was pretty happy except i was getting a noise from the PSU. I was led to believe that the PSU just couldnt handle it. Could play just fine, other than the noise. Noise was dependent on load on the card. Normal computing no noise. As soon as a game loaded and the frame rates kicked in, the noise was constant and fairly loud.
Now, I already ruled out any wires hitting fans, loose objects vibrating, and fan bearings. I even returned the first gtx 660 i had and exchanged for another gtx 660 to get the same problem. Noise was definitely from the power supply anyway.
I have my old computer that the 600 power supply and the 5770 were in. I put them back in that old Gateway like it was before and it ran just like it used to, awful visuals and all. No noise, not even a little.
So went back to best buy today and got the Thermaltake smart 850 psu. Today is also the day I got the Corsair ram.

Installed ram and new power supply, all cables attached properly. Then the real problems started.
First power up, all fans including case, cpu, psu, and gpu would turn on, then right back off repeatedly. The power light and red trim light (think ghetto alienware lighting on the front of the case)would turn on and off with the fans. I did not see any lights on the mobo come on either. It would stop on its own after maybe 1 minute. The psu did not seem to ever get up to speed, so to speak. Fan would barely move...no noises or odors though. No signs of damage or from being fried.
I read somewhere that the ram could be the issue (im a noob so no clue how true that is) so i put the old ram back in. Same problem.

I am going to try the old 600 watt power supply in the hp tower and see if it powers on to rule out a bad power supply. At least see if it will boot up.

I am really at my witts end here, and any help would be appreciated. I have tried to give as much info as I could possibly think of...please be gentle if I have left anything out that you think is obvious. Last pc I built was a single core P4 and hyperthreading was new lol. I have probably forgotten more than I learned from that.
I will be checking back often, so thanks in advance for any help.

Update: Old PSU powered the unit up fine...but still the noise under load. I am checking the Smart psu's cable management system...more things to plug in and unplug, etc...will see how it goes
Update 2: Checked and triple checked all connections on Smart 850 psu...same results.

Solution
If the old PSU works and the new one doesn't, then it's either a faulty PSU or a connection issue. (According to the HP specs listed above, the old PSU is 300W).

Forgive the obvious...were the 24 pin and 4 pin power cables connected with the new PSU?

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
If the old PSU works and the new one doesn't, then it's either a faulty PSU or a connection issue. (According to the HP specs listed above, the old PSU is 300W).

Forgive the obvious...were the 24 pin and 4 pin power cables connected with the new PSU?

Solution

loprojoe

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
So, I am not sure if anyone is still checking this thread but here goes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

After visiting this thread, which I should have done from the start, I have some news.

Used the new smart 850 psu in the old pc, and powered it fine. Returned the 850 psu to the new system...same results.

Got to number 21 on the list from the 'no boot' thread and reset the bios...jumper and removed battery with cord unplugged. Left unplugged for about 3 minutes...and now the pc kicks all the fans on as the power switch clicks, and only for the duration of that click...and it kicks them on again briefly as the power switch clicks on the depress.
So imagine the power button being pushed in normally...and the fans kicking one 'click-click'. In fact, if I hold the power button in the fans stop and click on again briefly as I let the power button go.

loprojoe

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
SOLVED
It was the motherboard. Missing a -5v pin...and that is by design. Apparently some prefab PC makers are using proprietary power supplies and have eliminated that pin. My old gateway must have been okay. Go figure. Taking it ALL back tomorrow...wasted so much time.

So even though this post has been forgotten, I will say thanks to the one respondent...as well as everyone here. Learned a lot from poking around here. Maybe I can contribute something to someone else.