Krat0s

Distinguished
May 11, 2005
My PC has gone stupid. I have WinXP installed in my C: Drive and when i remove my cables and take off my d: drive it appears an error saying "Primay HDD not detected". That's stupid cause my Primary HDD is C: and is connected. I've tried everything in BIOS and it doesnt work. If I plug again my D: the WinXP enters fine. D: has nothing to do with the WinXP installation in C: Anyone has an idea of what's happening?

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Are they both IDE drives, or is one of them SATA? Because you have to set that in the BIOS, which one is set to boot.

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you probably installed Windows to the 2nd drive (either primary slave, secondary master or slave, or SATA2). Windows then named the drive "C" because it had the windows installation on it, but put the boot loader on the first drive (which should have been "C").

I'd tell you how to fix it, but I don't feel like taking the time at the moment. I'm sure someone else has the time, as for me, I'm going to bed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
easiest-to-explain fix: remove the second drive, boot from windows CD, let it repair the installation.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Krat0s

Distinguished
May 11, 2005
well..i've gone through the hint of the guys that told that were the jumpers and it was. I wasn't expecting that the primary hdd had an option for single drive and separately primany drive. I've just switched the jumper and it worked perfectly :) thanks for the help

Must be a Western Digital drive... to my knowledge, they're the only manufacturer that makes their jumpers this way.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>