I need tips/suggestions for my budget build =)

santaclaws

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hey guys, I'm starting college in about 2 months time and I'll be doing Multimedia Arts as my main course so it would involve a lot of work in After Effects, Premiere and Photoshop among other things. I know the school would have their own computers built specifically for that purpose but I want to build myself a nice, powerful computer for my own use so I could practice at home and hone my skills at video editing and photoshop.

I'm also a avid console gamer and I've always wanted to build my own computer and try my hand at PC gaming. I've put down the template and parts I managed to put together, so I'd like your opinions/suggestions on it.

I'd prefer Intel processors over AMD anyday as I've grown up using computers with Intel processors inside and I normally don't have a preference when it comes to graphics cards but for After Effects etc, I'll be needing an Nvidia card to take advantage of CUDA.

I'd also like to know if I should go with a i5-2500K instead of a i5-3570K, as the 3570K is obviously much more expensive that the 2500K, I doubt I'll be overclocking my processor so I think I may even survive on a i5-2400 or the i5-2500 for what I'm going to do.

Oh and I'd like to know whether the new chipsets that came out for Ivy Bridge are worth the price premium over the previous generation ones (Z68 etc) as I'd like to focus most of my money onto a good graphics card.

Parts I have in Mind:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz - Php9,410 (Dynaquest.com)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M Pro - P6,840 (DynaquestPc.com)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1333MHz - P1,250 (Dynaquestpc.com)
Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB - P3,300 (Dynaquestpc.com)
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 460 1GB - P5,000 (second hand)
Case: Silverstone Precision Black PS05 - Php3,120 (Dynaquestpc.com)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2-500W - P2,450 (Dynaquestpc.com)

Form:

Approximate Purchase Date: Within this week, or the week after.

Budget Range: $700 or roughly Php 30,000 (I'm based in the Philippines)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Adobe Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop. Gaming (Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Modern Warefare 2, 3 and other games)

Parts Not Required: Windows 7, Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor and Speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: http://dynaquestpc.com/ (please only suggest parts from that website or if you can, shops based here in Manila)

Parts Preferences: Nvidia, Intel, Asus and Asrock (I wouldn't mind a proven and capable Gigabyte motherboard) strictly no Foxconn or Biostar motherboards please.

Overclocking: Maybe in 3 or 4 year's time.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920*1080

Additional Comments: I'd prefer a case that's black and with a window (please don't avoid decent cases just because they don't have a window)

Sorry for the really long post. :p

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Please do not use a second hand graphics card. You dont know how much stress, load, repairs etc it has gone through. Crap PSU, get one from corsair and the like. Your also spending too much on the case when you can get the HAF 922 for like 2000Php at PC Xpress. Oh btw, a 6870/560 non ti doesnt sting the budget much. :)

santaclaws

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Oh alright, It seemed a really good deal and the guy said it's still under warranty till November. Oh alright thanks. Do you know where I can get a GTX 560 TI for the cheapest here?

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Id get myself a 560 non-ti at Pc Xpress for 7050Php. You may use the second hand, but I warn you that you dont know about what its been through and the 460 is a bit better than the 560 but consumes more power.