Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I want to upgrade my computer specs and im not sure with what? Help!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 2, 2012 11:09:54 PM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could me n btw this is my first post so sorry if i do anything wrong. I wish to upgrade my current processor and graphics and im not sure if with what but have a few idea's. My current rig is -

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache CPU

- Coolermaster silent 80plus Certified Efficiency PSU

- 8GB Dual Channel G-Skill RIPJAW DDR3 1600MHz

- AMD ATi Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card

- Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G CrossfireX Motheboard

- Samsung F3 1000GB 7200rpm SATA II Hard Drive

- Samsung DVD±RW with LightScribe

I was wondering what I could upgrade the processor to, i was thinking towards the AMD FX 4170 4.20Ghz or AMD FX BULLDOZER 3.30GHZ 3.3 FX-6100 SIX CORE or even maybe the AMD FX - 8120 eight core??, and with that my motherboard has crossfire so was thinking of just getting another 6850 Radeon?? I was told that if i do get the SIX CORE il be able to overclock to around 4.5ghz am i right? What do i need to do to upgrade my current specs and can i use any of these processors using the same motherboard?? Sorry for all the questions im new to this. If theres any better suggestions please let me no.

Thanks

More about : upgrade computer specs

July 2, 2012 11:25:23 PM

That motherboard doesnt support the FX processors. Getting the 6 core (with a new motherbd) wont benefit you much over the 4 core since not many games can use the extra cores. All you'll end up with is a fast 6 core that isnt much more powerful (computationally) than what you already have.

If you want the next step up then you have to wait and see what the next AMD architecture brings or go intel i5.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 12:27:21 AM

What are you using this computer for? If its for gaming, the thing youd need to upgrade the most is that video card. Get the fastest one that you can afford and that will be a huge upgrade. Thats still a very decent and capable processor youve got there, just make sure youre overclocking the CPU/NB a little as well cause that really seems to bring Phenoms to life for some reason.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 12:09:09 PM

axe1592 said:
What are you using this computer for? If its for gaming, the thing youd need to upgrade the most is that video card. Get the fastest one that you can afford and that will be a huge upgrade. Thats still a very decent and capable processor youve got there, just make sure youre overclocking the CPU/NB a little as well cause that really seems to bring Phenoms to life for some reason.


Thanks for your reply, I am using this for gaming at the moment and its ok but the problem is i tried overclocking going to the bios and selecting 3.8ghz under tweaking, it seems to be showing there fine but when i go to windows index and underneath where it says my processor name, its 3.2ghz not sure whats going on there did i overclock right? or is there software to check it? because under system the rating is only 3.2ghz and not 3.8ghz??
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 12:10:26 PM

popatim said:
That motherboard doesnt support the FX processors. Getting the 6 core (with a new motherbd) wont benefit you much over the 4 core since not many games can use the extra cores. All you'll end up with is a fast 6 core that isnt much more powerful (computationally) than what you already have.

If you want the next step up then you have to wait and see what the next AMD architecture brings or go intel i5.


Thanks for your help, but i was thinking what intel chip can i use with the motherboard i have got??

thanks again
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 12:46:33 PM

axe1592 said:
What are you using this computer for? If its for gaming, the thing youd need to upgrade the most is that video card. Get the fastest one that you can afford and that will be a huge upgrade. Thats still a very decent and capable processor youve got there, just make sure youre overclocking the CPU/NB a little as well cause that really seems to bring Phenoms to life for some reason.


I just wanted to mention as well I just checked out CPU-Z and it states that my CPU is running at 3825.14 MHZ thats 3.8ghz right? but then why is my windows index saying 3.2 ghz? sorry for all the questions im a noob lol


Thanks
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 5:20:58 PM

n7ad-sli said:
Thanks for your help, but i was thinking what intel chip can i use with the motherboard i have got??

thanks again





None.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 8:18:31 PM

Your motherboard is an AMD motherboard that supports Athlons 2's and Phenom2's. It does not support AMD FX or A4/A6/A8 series and it absolutely cannot support any Intel chips

If CPUz says 3.8 then you are definitely 3.8. I'm not sure what you mean by windows index, are you referring to windows experience? Thats been messed up and will sometimes show your overclock. I beleive if you boot into safe mode and retest it will show your overclock.
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 8:40:26 PM

popatim said:
Your motherboard is an AMD motherboard that supports Athlons 2's and Phenom2's. It does not support AMD FX or A4/A6/A8 series and it absolutely cannot support any Intel chips

If CPUz says 3.8 then you are definitely 3.8. I'm not sure what you mean by windows index, are you referring to windows experience? Thats been messed up and will sometimes show your overclock. I beleive if you boot into safe mode and retest it will show your overclock.


Thanks for your reply, yes I am referring to the windows experience where it comes up as a 3.2ghz but on CPUz a 3.8ghz, this only occurred when I had a windows update. Anyway, seen as there is no point in upgrading to the AMD Phenom ii x6, is it worth me getting another Radeon HD 6850 for crossfire im not sure as i heard about the micro stutter problem and I am not very keen to face that problem. I want to play games on ultra settings with a high fps and i want the card to be future proof for atleast a few years. I was thinking the Radeon 7970 its expensive but I was told its a beast but is there anything cheaper that will do the same job that will fit in with my current specs?? Thanks for help
m
0
l
July 3, 2012 8:46:54 PM

I was told the ATI Radeon 7850 2gb is a good card and will play games like Battlefield 3 in ultra setting above 30 fps but still not sure
m
0
l
July 4, 2012 3:52:39 AM

Yes, the 7850 is a great video card. If you can swing an extra $50, check out the 7870. That would be a significant upgrade for you and will play anything on the market right now at 1920x1080 at max settings, including BF3. Theyre running $290 right now at Newegg.
m
0
l
July 4, 2012 2:37:19 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
!