Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading a dell dimension 4600

Last response: in CPUs
November 12, 2012 9:35:55 PM

I am currently taking a hardware class and need to upgrade a PC. I have never done this before and need lots of help. I am looking to upgrade a hard drive, memory, power supply, and wireless card. I do not want to spend a lot of money. Can someone please help me asap?
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 10:58:27 PM

I'd start with a torrent search or Barnes and Noble for PC upgrading for dummies. Not to be derogatory, I've used Dummies guides A LOT in my life to get the basics down of what I'm looking to learn or do.
m
l
November 12, 2012 11:27:14 PM

Thank you for your response. I really need help finding the parts. Ive been to tiger direct and new egg and can't seem to find what I am looking for.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 11:33:09 PM

Hi :) 

Thats a VERY old machine in computer terms...6/7 years, I am not surprised you cannot find many parts.... I seem to remember it was AGP as well (graphics slot)

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 11:36:46 PM

Been thinking as we used to sell those years ago in my shops...

AGP graphics

IDE hard drive (NOT SATA)

DDR1 ram pc 2700 (i think) it may be 3200

No sata connectors as too old

m
l
November 12, 2012 11:57:20 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Been thinking as we used to sell those years ago in my shops...

AGP graphics

IDE hard drive (NOT SATA)

DDR1 ram pc 2700 (i think) it may be 3200

No sata connectors as too old

Actually, (not trying to sound like a jerk here : ) ) I have a Dimension 4600 I use for a file server of sorts, and it does indeed have 2 SATA ports on the board. On mine, neither of them want to work with my Caviar Blue, but I have a SATA>IDE adapter so it's not that big of a deal.
m
l
November 13, 2012 12:01:12 AM

ashleyb83 said:
I am currently taking a hardware class and need to upgrade a PC. I have never done this before and need lots of help. I am looking to upgrade a hard drive, memory, power supply, and wireless card. I do not want to spend a lot of money. Can someone please help me asap?

I hate to tell you this but you're not going to get a PSU, HDD, RAM, PSU and a wireless card for that cheap. I would start with a RAM upgrade and a wireless card, and see how much money you can spend after that.
m
l
!