Sign in with
Your question
Closed

600w enough for a monster?

Last response: in CPUs
November 12, 2012 10:40:23 PM

OCZ refurb? No I would never use that. Ever.
Score
November 12, 2012 10:42:55 PM

I have and I`m using it with i3 2100 atm, its working fine. Also this sounds like bias..
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2012 10:44:26 PM

cmcghee358 said:
OCZ refurb? No I would never use that. Ever.

at least answer his question if you are going to post. if not then dont post.

StrangeInstance said:
I have and I`m using it with i3 2100 atm, its working fine. Also this sounds like bias..

its more then you will ever need.
Score
November 12, 2012 10:46:23 PM

Are you sure? What if both 100% load (Trust me I`m an abusive person, my i7 WILL reach 100%)
Score
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 12:05:46 AM

i run 2 6950s and an i7 overclocked to 4.6 on a 650w psu.
Score
November 13, 2012 1:58:55 AM

cbrunnem said:
at least answer his question if you are going to post. if not then dont post.

its more then you will ever need.

I did respond to his post.

He asked if that SPECIFIC PSU would be good enough to power his high end rig. I answered.

NOW if the question was "Could a 600W PSU run this rig?" then I would have answered yes.

See the difference?

My answer was based on the specifics of that particular PSU, not on his wattage requirements.

Next time kindly keep your opinion of MY answer to yourself.
Score
November 13, 2012 2:10:15 AM

cmcghee358 said:
I did respond to his post.

He asked if that SPECIFIC PSU would be good enough to power his high end rig. I answered.

NOW if the question was "Could a 600W PSU run this rig?" then I would have answered yes.

See the difference?

My answer was based on the specifics of that particular PSU, not on his wattage requirements.

Next time kindly keep your opinion of MY answer to yourself.

I asked if it could handle it, and then (Ironic here because you accused him of using his opinion in a fact based question) you responded saying you personally wouldn't use it.
Score
November 13, 2012 2:26:11 AM

Funny. Asking a question is in fact asking for an opinion.

No I don't think a refurb of a midgrade PSU made in 2007 with short life capacitors could handle your build.

Being that you obviously have very expensive hardware on the backend, I can't fathom why you'd go cheap on the most vital component in your build.

If on the other hand you want advice on WHICH PSU to buy I'd be happy to provide some suggestions.

Otherwise, enjoy your build.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
November 13, 2012 2:34:43 AM

Ok, this is really two different questions in one. The one stated: Is 600W enough for that system? The answer: Yes.

Part two (the unstated): It that particular PSU up to the task. The answer to that: Maybe, but I sure as hell wouldn't trust it.

That PSU was never good brand new and most certainly not as a refurbished unit.

Final answer: It'll probably do, but when it goes down in a blaze of glory and fries your expensive parts, don't say you weren't told so.
Score
November 13, 2012 2:39:56 AM

^ This
Score
November 14, 2012 7:36:08 PM

>.> that pisses me off when people say its gonna fry everything. Most PSUs (At least this one) shut themselves down if something like that is about to happen.
Score
November 14, 2012 8:01:41 PM

Obviously you've made up your mind. Not sure why you asked for our advice. Enjoy your build.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2012 8:29:28 PM

StrangeInstance said:
Dude, please I`m asking you nicely to just leave. Your being obnoxious. I was asking if it would be capable of powering it, not for you to PMS all over the place. This reminds me of a 32 page flame war I once had: http://www.roblox.com/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=799492...

if you already have the psu it will work. keep it then if you feel the need along the way replace it but it will supply your needs for now.
Score
November 14, 2012 8:38:34 PM

Awesome, about to sell on ebay, my old rig for $550 which I`m excited about :)  then with that $550 getting a HDD, i7 3770k, 23' Dell Anti-Gloss Screen (Sunshine eat your heart out <3), and a nice keyboard/mouse combo.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 8:39:08 PM

StrangeInstance said:
Dude, please I`m asking you nicely to just leave. Your being obnoxious. I was asking if it would be capable of powering it, not for you to PMS all over the place. This reminds me of a 32 page flame war I once had: http://www.roblox.com/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=799492...

And why are you being so obtuse. Just because you didn't get the answer you wanted, you whine.

cmcghee358 and I have already said that it'll work (wattage wise), but that we would never trust that particular unit in any of our own builds. If you can't handle that, then you should never have asked.

Will it literally explode? Probably not, but that still doesn't mean it's "safe" to use. It can cause unseen damage that you won't ever know about until it's too late.

But anyway, good luck with your build, and I hope for the best (while expecting the worst).
Score
November 14, 2012 8:48:00 PM

I'm no expert on PSUs, dont know particulars they use inside and therefore the differences. However noone mentioned OCZ's...
I'm using OCZ on my system and i could recommend that. Very stable, didnt change a Voltage in over 3 years, quite and didnt get hot or fail in any way.

I'm using Phenom II 965 BE, GTX560Ti, OCZ modXstream pro 600W

From my experience i would recommend that, i do install them in my business building PCs and noone complaint yet

Good luck with your build
Score

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
November 14, 2012 8:50:16 PM

TamLin said:
I'm using Phenom II 965 BE, GTX560Ti, OCZ modXstream pro 600W

The 600W ModXStream Pro is a very good PSU. No complaints there. I recommend it all the time.

The GameXStream units (at least the older and refurb units) are very questionable, though.
November 14, 2012 8:54:11 PM

Well, :p  ***. XD

The thing is I have it bought and the build I have has all the peices mentioned, with a 7950 an i3 3100 running at stock, and the problem is I run 100% on CPU and 15% on GPU, meaning 85% bottleneck >.>
Score
November 26, 2012 11:00:24 PM

Best answer selected by StrangeInstance.
Score
!