Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent boot up problem

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2012 4:23:10 PM

I've searched and searched and haven't found a description of my problem, so I'm asking for help.

I have a system that I originally built about 5-7 years ago upgrading as needed, however, I haven't added anything since a year ago when I upgraded my video card.

Normally, when I press the power button, the front panel green light (system activity?) comes on then the front panel orange light (disk activity?) comes on, along with the fans and disk activity beep, post message and windows starts.

About 3 months ago this problem started happening about every 4th or 5th time I turned it on:
Orange light on, fans on, no post msg, monitor still in sleep mode. By holding power
button for 4 seconds it will turn off. Usually hitting the power button again will result in
a successful boot up.
Occasionally when that doesn't work I"ll unplug the power cord and replug it, hit start and
get a successful boot up. Usually, it'll boot on the first retry. Always within three.
This morning I got worried as it took five tries to get booted.

Any ideas as to where I should start looking for the problem?

Windows 7 Pro has been installed for over a year.

I'll supply component info if needed, but since it's worked for five years it sounds like it's independent of brand/model.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 6:26:58 PM

your psu more than likely cant handle the load... either too old,dead,or not powerfull enough look into that
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 6:42:42 PM

+1 to panic
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 6:45:52 PM

PanicMaster85 said:
your psu more than likely cant handle the load... either too old,dead,or not powerfull enough look into that

That's a possibility I suppose...its an Antec 500W about 1 1/2 -2 years old. I'll try that after the holiday.

Thanks, PM85
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 6:47:05 PM

no problem anytime
m
l
July 4, 2012 8:05:39 PM

Anyone with a suggestion?

Antec
Thermaltake
Enermax
Corsair

Stay with 500W? Or go up to 600, 650, 750?

It's not a gaming machine, as you might guess.

TIA
m
l
July 14, 2012 12:17:08 AM

Well, I got a Corsair 650W PS and I'm just waiting for the problem to start occurring again before I put it in.
So far, it hasn't happened again. (wouldn't you know it!!)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2012 1:05:37 AM

haha yeah well why wait just make it stop now :D 
m
l
!