Windows 7 remote desktop via VPN

sweigand

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I am trying to use remote desktop on my Windows 7 machine via VPN connection to the office (Server 2003 machine). This worked on my XP macine without a hitch. I could VPN into the office, launch remote desktop and boom, I was in. New windows 7 machine, configured VPN, can connect VPN without issue, but then I can't see the other network and remote desktop doesn't find the other computer, nothing. I have been searching through forums and help to no avail. I set remote desktop to work with prior versions in Win 7, that still didn't help. Any insight is appreciated.

Solution

Have you try connecting to the server by the IP address and not the computer name? I have the same issue, something about DNS not working.

rgd1101

Don't

Have you try connecting to the server by the IP address and not the computer name? I have the same issue, something about DNS not working.

Solution

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi,

Just to confirm, you stated you cannot remote desktop into your office computer which is joined to a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 domain. In an effort to troubleshoot your issues, let’s check the following:

1. Ensure that when the VPN is established you can open a command prompt and PING to the target Windows Sever 2003 / work machine and confirm whether or not you can get the desired IP address from the reply.
2. If the test is fine above, telnet to port 3389 (standard RDP port) to test whether it can successfully connect. Again, this command is to be run from within command prompt. “C:\>telnet <your FQDN or IP> 3389” (Without the quotations and where <your FQDN or IP> is substituted by your actual FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) or External IP address. The result of this command should give just a blank screen if you are successful. If the port is not open, you’ll get an error message.
3. Check all firewall and anti-virus applications that may be running on the Windows 7 machine. As a troubleshooting method, disable all firewalls.
4. If possible, attempt to connect to the server / work machine in question from within your network from the Windows 7 machine. Performing this troubleshooting step will indicate whether or not the issue is VPN specific. If the connection from within the network fails, it is likely not VPN specific.

5. You may also want to ensure that your VPN client computer has the latest version of Remote Desktop Connection installed. For additional information you may find the following Microsoft KB article “Description Remote Desktop Connection 7.0 client update” helpful

As a final recommendation, you may find the following Microsoft resources “Why can’t I connect using Remote Desktop Connection” and the TechNet blog article “Troubleshooting common VPN related errors” beneficial.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

sweigand

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Okay, the IP address instead of computer name worked, once I was given the correct IP address! Thank you everyone for the assistance, RDG1101 was right about DNS was not working between Win 7 and 2003 Server.