Specs:
Mobo= Asrock z77 Extreme4
CPU= Intel Core i5 3570k
RAM=Patriot G2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
GPU=EVGA GTX 560 Ti 2GB
PSU=Ultra LSP750 750W
Case=MSi IN-9390 Nighthawk Mid Tower
OS=Windows 7 Home Premium

I bought everything but the OS Sunday before last online, so returns/warranties are no problem.

Well guys, I'm stumped. I put together this machine, and everything works like a dream without my graphics card installed. No amount of searching has told me why.

When I first tried to boot using my TV as a monitor, it didn't work. I didn't have the VGA drivers installed yet, as it turns out. So I moved it into another room and hooked it up to an old CRT monitor. It booted just fine, I installed Windows 7, installed the drivers that came with the board, and restarted. Everything was fine.

So, with everything installed, I moved back to my TV. No dice. The mobo wouldn't POST. So, I moved back to where I was. Only this time, the computer wouldn't come to life either. So, I remembered that I forgot to install the nVidia drivers when I first booted up. I removed the card and everything went off without a hitch.

So, realizing that I couldn't install the drivers from nVidia's web page or from the disc I got with the card without having the hardware in place, I tried putting the card back in.

I am not sure, but I think it was around this time that I started getting a more serious problem. I seated the card, gave it the two 6-pin cabled from my PSU that it needed, and... nothing. When I flicked the switch on the PSU, the LEDs on the case flickered once, then didn't turn on again. I pressed the power button, nothing turned on.

Reading in the manual that came with my PSU, "If the power supply latches into shutdown stage (when over current, over voltage or short circuit protection is working), the power supply shall return to normal operation only after the fault has been removed and reapplied."

Upon removing the graphics card, the problem persists until I leave the computer off for around 3-5 minutes, then everything works just fine again.

Things I've tried:

1) Seating the card without connecting the PCIe cables. This resulted in the GPU's fan spinning very fast. I hope this wasn't a mistake, because I left it for around 15 to 20 seconds before powering off the computer. This was before the PSU started going into safety mode. Honestly, this is probably an embarrassing blunder, but it's crucial information, I think...

2) Putting it in the other PCIe slot on my board. The same problem occurs, and for this reason I don't believe it to be a problem with the board.

3) Using the 6-pin PCI to molex adapters included with the card. Nothing different happened, but it ruled out the possibility of something being wrong with the PCI cables coming from the PSU.

I'm at my wits end with this thing. I was going to contact EVGA support and just return it, but I wanted to get other people's insight into the problem to make sure the card was the problem and not the mobo or PSU. I'm a novice builder, so it's entirely possible that I've missed a few things in trying to narrow it down.

Last but not least, if you've taken time out of your day to read this incredibly long post, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Happy Independence Day for those in America. Stay safe and have fun! ;) 
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 5:02:14 PM

ok so tell me this can you still start it at all with or without the graphics card... oh and by the way return the graphics card either way and get this :p  http://www.amazon.com/HIS-DisplayPort-Express-Graphics-...
there are different manufacturs such as saphire that are cheaper but this graphics cards is faster then the 560ti so just do that and to fix your problem test the system with out the graphics card
m
l
July 4, 2012 7:42:17 PM

Yes, everything boots just fine without the card installed. I'm typing from this machine.

Unfortunately, the return policy is only for exchanges, but with a little "negotiation" I might be able to get a deal. :p 
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 7:45:50 PM

well you could always get your money back :)  but yeah it sounds exactly like a graphics card problem unless your the one where the psu fan does not spin
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 78 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 8:35:22 PM

The card is probably shorting out your PSU, causing the protection circuit to trip. that being said if you have another PSU try it. Ultra makes crap
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2012 8:41:11 PM

amin to that
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:03:41 PM

I have no other PSU to test with. Is that the card's problem, or my PSU? The minimum wattage requirement on the card is 500, so I figured that would be plenty.

Should I return both the card and the PSU, or just take it one step at a time?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 11:54:36 PM

I haven't used any of their newer stuff, but I had an Ultra XConnect 2 550w that works still to this day in a friends computer without issue(other than the fan crapping out a few years ago)

My guess would be the Video Card, EVGA's customer service should walk you through any trouble shooting methods when you call to inquire about the RMA.
m
l
!