Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Priority for upgrading my system?

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2012 5:03:01 PM

So, when/if it comes time to upgrade some components... Where would I start? I am happy with graphics. The speed is OK, and I can multitask pretty well... I've noticed some slowing over the last 3 years... Maybe it's age maybe it's just me, I dunno. Anyway, what would be good to upgrade next?
Thanks in advance :D 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.8GHZ (stock)

Motherboard... (Everest Home came up unknown...)

Memory: 6GB DDR3 (stock... never actually looked at brand... lol)

Hard Drive ST3100005 28AS SATA 1TB (stock)

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800

Case: (HP stock)

Power Supply: KINGWIN ABT-750MM 750W ATX 12V v2.2

Optical Drive: HP CDDVDW TS-H653R (stock)

Optional Information: Dual 19" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ( do not plan on upgrading unless someone gives me free monitors and a new desk to support them :)  )

Best solution

July 4, 2012 6:21:07 PM

Hello,

And SSD is always a good upgrade. It would make loading programs much quicker. It won't do anything for games (besides making them load quicker) in terms of frames per second.

However what would you like to upgrade? What is your budget? What do YOU think you need/want?

You've currently got a fine mid range system. I really don't know what else to suggest besides an SSD.

If you do go the SSD route, the samsung 830 and Crucial M4 are good SSD drives.
July 4, 2012 6:37:07 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Hello,

And SSD is always a good upgrade. It would make loading programs much quicker. It won't do anything for games (besides making them load quicker) in terms of frames per second.

However what would you like to upgrade? What is your budget? What do YOU think you need/want?

You've currently got a fine mid range system. I really don't know what else to suggest besides an SSD.

If you do go the SSD route, the samsung 830 and Crucial M4 are good SSD drives.

I dunno. Is RAM an issue here or is it good to go?
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 6:42:22 PM

You have plenty of RAM. 6GB is more than enough as most games are only 32bit anyways (which means they take up to 4GB of RAM, leaving you 2GB for your system to throw around).

Unless you do photoshop type work - then yes more than 6GB of RAM would be useful.

If you wanted to, you could go for 8GB of RAM, but you would have to buy a new matched set as mixing whatever you have now with a new set is usually not a good idea. RAM is quite cheap (as in price) these days.
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:53:04 PM

Best answer selected by ThereWillBeAWay.
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:53:40 PM

Alrighty then. I was just curious :)  Thanks for the help!
m
l
July 4, 2012 7:03:55 PM

Hey no problem.
m
l
!