Urgent help here, please help

youngan1026

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
So I am using a XFX 7850 and I feel like the movies I am watching is not really 1080P, or I feel like im not actually using the video card. how can i check if i am using it, and also how can i make the movies look better? Should i buy a HDMI cord for the screen and use that?

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
If you're using windows check your screen resolution.
You also need to have a monitor which is capable of handling 1080p resolution. 1920x1080 would be what you're looking to set your monitor resolution to.

The connection depends on your monitor, and what kind of inputs it has. Also, if you're using a TV with a VGA connector you may be limited to a maximum resolution of 1366x768 or something similar to that. In the case that you are, you'll never really get a true 1080p resolution from what I've come to understand. If you use an HDMI you can push 1080p but it's still compressed into a 1366x768 (or whatever the max resolution is)

I know this holds true for xbox 360, and my "1080p" tv will produce a 1080p picture in a compressed size. I can tell the difference when I look at my pc monitor with similar games, like borderlands, and Call of Duty series.

Your card should be working if you've installed the card and drivers and you have your video connection from the back of the card to the monitor.

randomkid

Distinguished

First, you have to make sure that the media you are watching are 1080p material. If it is anything less, it will be stretched accross the screen & might be pixelized if the media resolution is very low. Currently how do you connect your 7850 to the display? via VGA cable? [Just to make sure because it is not mentioned... you don't by any chance connect your display to the motherboard video port, right?

VGA can support 1920x1080 easily. HDMI can support the same without compression.

youngan1026

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
No both of my screens are hooked onto the video card, one says VGA but fits DVI also so I have one in Dvi and another DVI in the VGA but both is still same quality. Maybe i am expecting too much, i swear i dl'ed a nice 1080p bluray from torrent but hmp. maybe ill try another movie.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

DVI is digital and VGA is analog. If you have the ability, you should use the digital signal. It is very difficult to find an actual blueray movie from any torrent site. Proper dual layer feature length videos in blue ray format are 50GB. That torrent you downloaded is probably less than 1GB. It is a highly stripped down version of the movie. It will look great on a 3.4" ipod screen and look like crap on a proper 1080 monitor.