Rogue vs Mage

morten

I would like to know how fellow rogues begin a duel against a mage. The mage
know you are stealthed and out there and often i get caught in some area
spell, polymorphed, fireball, fireball and dead. What is a good way to close
the gap, and get him?

Morten, lvl 51 NE rogue, Silvermoon wow-eu

everyone will tell you how "rogues own mages". Don't listen to them. We
are strong damage dealers against cloth wearers, but we don't "own" them and
they how lots of ways of making you look like a pvp noob.

A mage knows you are going to try to get in a Cheap Shot or Ambush on them
and will immediately try to cast a spell that knocks you out of Stealth.
They will start casting that spell the minute the duel timer starts so that
it will go off right when the duel begins and you are trying to close the
distance on them (they will never start the duel with you within striking
range, their weapon is distance and they will start with as much of it
between you and them as possible). In essence, by starting the spell early
they get an instant cast attack on you for free. The only way to avoid this
is for you to hit "Vanish" when the countdown gets to around "2". At this
time you angle yourself not "at" the mage, but 45 degrees away from him.
The count down has reached "0" at this point and you now hit your "Sprint"
button. You are still headed at 45 degrees. You will Sprint to the side
of, and BEHIND, the mage (who is now running around wildly, casting cheap
Area of Effect spells to try to find you). You will not attack, you will
let him either cast a few more AoE's or run around some more. He's not
expending large amounts of mana at all btw, so don't think you've
accomplished much up to now, all you are doing is going for position. He
will invariably be at or above your level, so you don't want to get within
10 yards of him till you are ready to attack or he might see or hear through
your Stealth. There is no time limit on you to get position so don't rush
it. I'll take 60-90 seconds before I attack. Block out all his chat talk
about you "cheating" and "being afraid to fight" and "you noob, lol". Wait
him out. When you know you are positioned perfectly, go in and either stun
or ambush him. If you Cheap Shot him, he will immediately try to Blink
away. Doesn't matter because right before your CS wears off, you will have
Gouged him and your Crippling Poison will keep him from going far (you ARE
using Crippling poison in a pvp fight, right? right?). He will still Blink
away, but he will still be Gouged or poisoned and you will have hit your
Sprint button again and closed the distance (because you took your time
getting position and your Sprint has finished it's timer). From that point
on you can try to keep him in stun lock with a combination of Kidney Shots
and Gouges, or you can try to beat him down quickly with Backstabs or
Sinister Strikes. Regardless of your choice, don't wait for 5 combo
points, Eviscerate him at 3 or even 2 if you have to. Why? Well, what do
"you" do when an opponent has hit you quickly for a lot of damage? You try
to run away and heal, right? That's what he'll try to do, he'll try to go
on the defensive. If at anytime he has a chance to heal himself to full
health, consider stunning him and using your BandAid macro. You downloaded
this macro already from www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php , right? please tell me
you aren't hunting through your bag then clicking on your bandage, and then
highlighting your self and then bandaging yourself. I don't want to hear
that. I want to hear that you hit your self-bandaging hotkey the minute you
stunned him.

Finally, the most important thing of all. Always stay behind him. He will
be handicapped in casting spells against you if he doesn't have you in front
of him (Line of Sight). Run "through" him (it's just pixels after all) and
attack from behind, then run through him again when he turns to face you.
Never let him be facing you. Learn to use your Strafing keys to move
perpendicular to his direction. Learn to "circle strafe" him by running in
circles around him. There is even a macro available at
www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php called "CircleStrafe" that will automate this
process for you.

Will this work every time? nope. Probably won't work the first few times
either. Practice, practice, practice. You can do everything right and
still lose cause the Mage is just more experienced or does something
unexpected. Dueling doesn't cost anything and doesn't hurt anything other
than your ego when you lose. Forgetting about your ego is the only way to
improve yourself. That's it, sorry to go on so long about a 3 minute fight.

Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, at this point Mages will start telling you about
all the flaws in this plan. Good. Learn from their comments and figure out
ways to counter these moves.

u a écrit :
> everyone will tell you how "rogues own mages". Don't listen to them.
We
> are strong damage dealers against cloth wearers, but we don't "own"
them and
> they how lots of ways of making you look like a pvp noob.

The mage/rogue competition is vastly biased. Rogues will tell you they
get killed by all mages, and mages will tell you they can't survive an
encounter with a rogue.

There's a brutal fact with the mage that causes so much rogues on a PVP
server to be afraid of them: the one-and-only rogue cookie-cutter PKing
strategy, the horrible stunlock, doesn't work at all with a mage,
because of Blink. Within an eyeblink litterally, the mage will be 10
yards away, with enough time to cast a frost nova/polymorph, fireball,
pom-pyro and instant fireblast to boot you out of service.

u illustrated this well, cheapshot/immediate gouge is a better way to
open IMHO, even if it's hard to get the gouge going before the mage
blinks out (I think it's related to the fact that the target must be
facing you for you to gouge it, and you should be behind the target to
avoid detection and get the cheap shot). I'm no expert in Rogue vs Mage
PVP, so I won't contest u's tactics. But what I know is, if you plan on
keeping the mage stunned, you've already lost. Remember Blink is on 15s
cooldown.

Also, jump to get behind. Why? Because you can turn in mid-air without
changing your original movement direction. Jump above the opponent and
land on his back, ready to strike, without having to stop moving to be
able to face his back again.

>"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>Also, jump to get behind. Why? Because you can turn in mid-air without
>changing your original movement direction. Jump above the opponent and
l>and on his back, ready to strike, without having to stop moving to be
>able to face his back again.

Absolutely. And for that matter, try to play using your mouse for movement
instead of using it to change your view. Mouse movement is invariably
quicker in response than using your keyboard. Some people maneuver fine
using just the keyboard, but the most of the good pvp'ers are using mouse
clicks to move areound.

Xanex....UndeadRogeuazon, oh, and Blinding Powder, love the Blinding Powder.

"Morten" <real_mag@@@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know how fellow rogues begin a duel against a mage. The
>mage know you are stealthed and out there and often i get caught in some
>area spell, polymorphed, fireball, fireball and dead. What is a good way to
>close the gap, and get him?
>
> Morten, lvl 51 NE rogue, Silvermoon wow-eu

Stay out of AE range until hes blown all his mana on em? Mm, maybe Sprint to
him, Kick to interrupt and then business as usual? Not starting stealthed
will surprise him, should work the first time =)

Re-roll as an Undead Rogue and have more fun? Well, that worked for me )

--
Bushwacker UD Rogue, Silvermoon, EU.

"Morten" <real_mag@@@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know how fellow rogues begin a duel against a mage. The
>mage know you are stealthed and out there and often i get caught in some
>area spell, polymorphed, fireball, fireball and dead. What is a good way to
>close the gap, and get him?

For a rogue to take out a mage, the rogue would have to be very good player
and the mage a very poor player. The bottom line of the fight is the rogue
will not be able to get to the mage, since the mage has the ability to
freeze and blink and eventually nuke the rogue to defeat.
I have yet to see a rogue take out a mage in a duel on my server.

morten

"u" <u@mail.com> wrote in message news:d6i65i$i5q$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> everyone will tell you how "rogues own mages". Don't listen to them. We
> are strong damage dealers against cloth wearers, but we don't "own" them
> and
> they how lots of ways of making you look like a pvp noob.

<SNIP>

Thx for this nice analysis. I have to practice a lot more (im on a PvE). I
really appreciate the time you have spent writing this.

Regards.

Morten

Durango, please, let's not have this thread devolve into those sad and
puerile discussions found on the WoW forums. We are looking for a bit more
meaty and comprehensive discussion and analysis than "the rogue would have
to be very good player and the mage a very poor player." Your statement
applies to every single class in every single situation. The experienced
player will always beat the noob. Apples to Apples.

Please post what YOU do, as a mage, when the rogue gets the drop on you. He
cheap shots you, and then before you can blink he Gouges you. What do YOU
do?

Xanex....UndeadRogueazon, these are what-if scenarios to help other players
learn.