Does upgrading to a new CPU / Processor require reloading the OS?

Shlim1

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I am interested in upgrading my processor on my MoBo. Will I need to reload the OS once upgrade is complete?

Thanks,
Rob

Solution

You shouldn't have to unless the new hardware causes some kind of problem with the OS. All you have to do is stick the new CPU in the socket, lock it down and clamp down the fan/heatsink. Once you do that turn on the computer and it might give you a message like this:

25817876_WP_000190.jpeg

follow what it says and you are done.

You shouldn't have to unless the new hardware causes some kind of problem with the OS. All you have to do is stick the new CPU in the socket, lock it down and clamp down the fan/heatsink. Once you do that turn on the computer and it might give you a message like this:

25817876_WP_000190.jpeg

follow what it says and you are done.

Solution

StormOfRazors

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

Just to add to this if you have an OEM version of windows and you change the motherboard, windows wont work as it is tied to that system. But yea shouldn't be a problem if only changing a cpu and keeping the motherboard (staying on the same socket)

Shlim1

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Funny you bring that up... Originally had to change the HD and the OEM windows would not work. Well, at least activating it would not work. Microsoft help desk created a new key and I ran into the same issue... for some reason, the activation screen says I typed the Key in wrong. X - 20 days and counting...