lartomar2002

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I have a Netgear WNR2000v2 that I used to use to stream wireless to a ps3, wdtv live hd and a boxee box. My internet connection was dsl. I now have a cable internet connection with 20Mbps dl and 2.0Mbps ul. The internet cable is connected to the wireless router and and it is connected to a netgear xav2001 powerline adapter, the other powerline adapter is connected to a 10/100/1000 ethernet switch and then out to the different devices. My question is am I throttling my stream by going through the router or should I use something else? I still need to use the wireless router for my wife's laptop. Thanks

Solution

No, you will not be limiting your download speeds by going through the router. Your maximum transmission speed to any device will...

lartomar2002

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I hope this is adequate: cable 20Mbps dl 2.0Mbps ul>Netgear WNR2000v2 Wireless router>Netgear XAV200 powerline adapter>(approx. 30 feet)Netgear XAV200 powerline adapter >10/100/1000 Ethernet switch>3 different devices, of which only one is in use at a time. Hope this helps.

lartomar2002

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010

Hi, I posted a diagram in response to your post. Was it not adequate? If so what else would you like for me to do. Tom's hardware is asking me to pick a best response but, I do not have anything to pick. Thanks

compuwiz490

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

No, you will not be limiting your download speeds by going through the router. Your maximum transmission speed to any device will only be at best 20Mbps because that's the speed your ISP has capped you at. Even if you were to connect the Gigabit switch directly to your cable modem, you're not going to get Gigabit speed to the cloud. When other devices, such as you're wife's laptop are being used, you may see a decrease in video quality or you may take a longer time to buffer streams because you're sharing that 20Mbps speed with all of the other devices in your network. You can configure QoS (Quality of Service) on your Wireless Router if you would like the video devices like the wdtv live to have priority access to the internet, but if you're trying to do something like watch a WDTV video and stream a movie to the laptop at the same time, you will see decreased performance on the laptop.

Solution

lartomar2002

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for the info. It's been a while since anyone has responed, I had almost given up. If I only use one device at a time for streaming video do I still need to configure the QoS?

compuwiz490

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

No. Configuring QoS would only be necessary if you plan on streaming on both at one time. If you configure QoS, the device that has the highest priority will have first dibs on available network bandwidth so if you only plan on using one at a time I wouldn't worry about it.