making shortcuts/favorites appear where I need them

What I mean is that when I'm working in my most used applications (Fireworks
and Dreamweaver from Macromedia) and I want to open a file, I click on file,
open, then I'm forced to scroll through several levels of folders before I
get to the place I want to be. I have a shortcut to my favorite folders on my
taskbar, but they're useless to me there. I need them inside the open file
dialogue box within the application. Is there a way to do this? To make
matters worse, when my memory is low my pc doesn't remember the last folders
I opened so I find myself spending an awful amount of time
click-click-clicking through my folders. I thought about putting a shortcut
to my folders on the desktop, but unlike Microsoft word, I don't even have a
desktop icon or favorites icon in the open file box that appears in my
Macromedia applications. Is there any way I can customize it the open file
box to add them? I'm so sick and tired of losing my time navigating instead
of working... :( :( Thanks in advance for your help.
3 answers Last reply
More about making shortcuts favorites them

    I'm not familiar with your particular applications, but --

    1) Do they always offer the same folder in an open/save dialog? Do their options allow to you change this location to one of your liking?

    2) Have you tried putting shortcuts to the folders you want in the folder the program opens?

    3) If you need true folder behavior from a shortcut (appearing in folder tree, cascading, etc), try the following:
    a) open your Start Menu folder by right-clicking the Start button & selecting open.
    b) open a second explorer window showing the folders you want shortcuts to.
    c) right-click+drag the folder to the Start Menu -- release the mouse button and choose: 'Create Shortcut here'
    d) move the shortcut you just created to the default open/save location for your software.
    e) repeat for as many shortcuts as you want.

    Hope this helps,
    Keith

    "Lisa Pons" <Lisa Pons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F94D53FF-DEC6-4500-8230-11A09A137150@microsoft.com...
    > What I mean is that when I'm working in my most used applications (Fireworks
    > and Dreamweaver from Macromedia) and I want to open a file, I click on file,
    > open, then I'm forced to scroll through several levels of folders before I
    > get to the place I want to be. I have a shortcut to my favorite folders on my
    > taskbar, but they're useless to me there. I need them inside the open file
    > dialogue box within the application. Is there a way to do this? To make
    > matters worse, when my memory is low my pc doesn't remember the last folders
    > I opened so I find myself spending an awful amount of time
    > click-click-clicking through my folders. I thought about putting a shortcut
    > to my folders on the desktop, but unlike Microsoft word, I don't even have a
    > desktop icon or favorites icon in the open file box that appears in my
    > Macromedia applications. Is there any way I can customize it the open file
    > box to add them? I'm so sick and tired of losing my time navigating instead
    > of working... :( :( Thanks in advance for your help.

    Answer to that question (for most programs that is) has been
    given above in the Older Message recalled below
    ("Re: add default explorer file shortcut?").

    If Macromedia programs haven't the relevant shortcuts set,
    and if TweakUI doesn't let you add them, then I see
    no other option than writing Macromedia and ask them to
    make their programs more compliant to Windows on that point
    - which they may do.

    Paris, dim. 13 mars 2005 12:06:25 +0100

    Lisa, How do I put my favorites on the taskbar? I have wracked my brain and
    cannot figure out how to do this. Thanks, Nancy

    "Lisa Pons" wrote:

    > What I mean is that when I'm working in my most used applications (Fireworks
    > and Dreamweaver from Macromedia) and I want to open a file, I click on file,
    > open, then I'm forced to scroll through several levels of folders before I
    > get to the place I want to be. I have a shortcut to my favorite folders on my
    > taskbar, but they're useless to me there. I need them inside the open file
    > dialogue box within the application. Is there a way to do this? To make
    > matters worse, when my memory is low my pc doesn't remember the last folders
    > I opened so I find myself spending an awful amount of time
    > click-click-clicking through my folders. I thought about putting a shortcut
    > to my folders on the desktop, but unlike Microsoft word, I don't even have a
    > desktop icon or favorites icon in the open file box that appears in my
    > Macromedia applications. Is there any way I can customize it the open file
    > box to add them? I'm so sick and tired of losing my time navigating instead
    > of working... :( :( Thanks in advance for your help.

Configuration Customization Windows XP