Dual or Quad core for video editing?

NoxNight

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hi there! I've decided its time to get a new laptop and I'm having a hard time deciding what would be the best choice. I want to make sure I get one that will meet my needs. I mainly use my laptop for video capture and editing. This requires me to run two applications at once; the capture software and the game that I capture from. I don't normally get into the editing program until I close down the game.
My question is this; what would be better for my situation? A dual core processor or a quad core processor? I've been doing a lot of research and I've found that dual cores are faster, but quad cores are better if you're running multiple applications at once. In the case of video capture/editing, would it be worth the sacrifice of speed to get the quad core? I'm not sure which one would be more important considering I'm not just editing, I'm capturing from a game.
The laptop I have now used to work great for WoW, but its horrible for video capture; the clips always come out jumpy. I'm not sure if its due to my processor or my RAM. I have a Toshiba Satellite L355-S0975, Intel Celeron Processor 585, 3GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM, 160GB HDD
Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much!

Is there a particular reason you need a laptop to handle this kind of work? As mentioned the quad is a better idea, but why a laptop? Is portable video editing really *that* essential? Only reason I say so is because cost to performance ratio is much more favorable on a desktop.

Basically it depends on the video codec and the program you want to use to encode video. I believe DivX supports 2 cores; I have not used it in a while. XviD claims it can support two cores, but based on my experience with it, that support is poor. It seems that at least 80% of the time it is only using one core. The x.264 codex can make use of at least 4 cores.

For capturing video during gameplay you definitely want 4 cores since video encoding is very CPU intensive. Capturing video while playing games on a dual core CPU will result in choppy gameplay and dropped frame rates.