Question - Hunter Mail Armor

Group,

Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?

Thanks,
Julie

"Julie Warden" <julie_warden@spamonlyhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Group,
>
> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>
> Thanks,
> Julie

No reason at all not to get mail.

"Julie Warden" <julie_warden@spamonlyhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Group,
>
> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>
> Thanks,
> Julie

My hunter friend is still wearing the vast majority of his leather armor at
53. He does it because the leather stuff has better stats for a bow using
hunter, and 99% of the time, his armor rating doesn't matter. If anything
needs to be tanked, and a warrior / paladin is not around, his pet will do a
much better job of it than he will.

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

Julie Warden loved her ferret enough to say...
> Group,
>
> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>
> Thanks,
> Julie

Costs money to train and costs more money in upkeep, but apart from
that no reason as far as I can tell.

--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

alex

"Julie Warden" <julie_warden@spamonlyhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Group,
>
> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>
> Thanks,
> Julie

You might struggle to find very good Agility mail. there is some out there,
but not as much as agility leather. It's well worth going for it though

"Alex" <assetsinc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Julie Warden" <julie_warden@spamonlyhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Group,
>>
>> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
>> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Julie
>
> You might struggle to find very good Agility mail. there is some out
> there, but not as much as agility leather. It's well worth going for it
> though

is that true? I've got 350 agi and I'm all mail (hur hur). I don't thin kI
ever compromised agi for armour. Could be wrong though.

alex

"porl" <porlp@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Alex" <assetsinc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Julie Warden" <julie_warden@spamonlyhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Group,
>>>
>>> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
>>> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Julie
>>
>> You might struggle to find very good Agility mail. there is some out
>> there, but not as much as agility leather. It's well worth going for it
>> though
>
> is that true? I've got 350 agi and I'm all mail (hur hur). I don't thin kI
> ever compromised agi for armour. Could be wrong though.

In my experiance, yes. Not that I'm too fussed about having to settle for
the odd Spi / Sta Items :)

"Trooper" <news@trooperlooper.co.uk> wrote in message
> Julie Warden loved her ferret enough to say...
>> Group,
>>
>> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
>> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Julie
>>

> Costs money to train and costs more money in upkeep, but apart from
> that no reason as far as I can tell.

It's generally easier to find hunter-friendly stats (agility/stam and agility/
spirit combos, mainly) on leather, than it is on mail. Sure you can find
nice agility items in mail-class armor, but the very best hunter stats will
be found on the fancier leather goods.
-Marshall

> Group,
>
> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>
> Thanks,
> Julie

Many people will say most of your armor will remain leather, but having the
mail skill allows you to use that one piece of mail that is perfect for
hunters. You will still have the option to wear leather, you now just have a
3rd armor option (you can wear cloth too if you liked the stats).

>> Thanks,
>> Julie
>
> My hunter friend is still wearing the vast majority of his leather armor
> at
> 53. He does it because the leather stuff has better stats for a bow
> using
> hunter, and 99% of the time, his armor rating doesn't matter. If
> anything
> needs to be tanked, and a warrior / paladin is not around, his pet will do
> much better job of it than he will.

I'm a level 56 hunter still wearing 4 leather armor items. My main focus is
on AGI and Stamina and I don't give the armor number much attention at all
unless all other stats are equal. Maybe that's wrongheaded but I've been
trained by Diablo 2 rules.(remember Shaftstop and Serpentskin Armor?, I'd
Take them any day over higher defense lower stat items.)

I just got into an argument with a warrior in the Sunken Temple last night.
Blue leather bracers dropped (BOP)with high AGI and resistances and I rolled
on the item and won them. A warrior called me a ninja looter because hunters
wear mail and I didn't need them. Well they were way better than the bracers
I had on so I felt justified in rolling. It got so bad the group had to
break up.

"Abed" <XXshooy100@lycos.com> wrote in message

> I just got into an argument with a warrior in the Sunken Temple last night.
> Blue leather bracers dropped (BOP)with high AGI and resistances and I rolled
> on the item and won them. A warrior called me a ninja looter because hunters
> wear mail and I didn't need them. Well they were way better than the bracers I
> had on so I felt justified in rolling. It got so bad the group had to break
> up.

Heh, warriors are even *less* likely (by far) than hunters to use leather-
so why was that warrior all bent out of joint about it?
-Marshall

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

Abed loved her ferret enough to say...

> I just got into an argument with a warrior in the Sunken Temple last night.
> Blue leather bracers dropped (BOP)with high AGI and resistances and I rolled
> on the item and won them. A warrior called me a ninja looter because hunters
> wear mail and I didn't need them. Well they were way better than the bracers
> I had on so I felt justified in rolling. It got so bad the group had to
> break up.

I had a similar experience playing my rogue in wailing caverns. A
green leather chestpiece dropped which was a significant armour
increase over my current white item. I rolled, won and equipped
straight away, but I was a ninja looter because it had a +7 INT stat
along with a +2 AGI.

I'll take roll on everything any day of the week...

--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

"Abed" <XXshooy100@lycos.com> wrote in message

> >> Thanks,
> >> Julie
> >
> > My hunter friend is still wearing the vast majority of his leather armor
> > at
> > 53. He does it because the leather stuff has better stats for a bow
> > using
> > hunter, and 99% of the time, his armor rating doesn't matter. If
> > anything
> > needs to be tanked, and a warrior / paladin is not around, his pet will
do
> > much better job of it than he will.
>

> I'm a level 56 hunter still wearing 4 leather armor items. My main focus
is
> on AGI and Stamina and I don't give the armor number much attention at all
> unless all other stats are equal. Maybe that's wrongheaded but I've been
> trained by Diablo 2 rules.(remember Shaftstop and Serpentskin Armor?, I'd
> Take them any day over higher defense lower stat items.)

Oh Oh... I played EQ where AC (and intell/wisdom for mana) was everything
Stats could largely be ignored..

I have been focusing on AC health/mana and main stat. Hunter , Rogue AGI.

> I just got into an argument with a warrior in the Sunken Temple last
night.
> Blue leather bracers dropped (BOP)with high AGI and resistances and I
rolled
> on the item and won them. A warrior called me a ninja looter because
hunters
> wear mail and I didn't need them. Well they were way better than the
bracers
> I had on so I felt justified in rolling. It got so bad the group had to
> break up.

Pickup groups.... hmmm I need a real EQ type guild..

alex

>>> You might struggle to find very good Agility mail. there is some out
>>> there, but not as much as agility leather. It's well worth going for it
>>> though
>>
>> is that true? I've got 350 agi and I'm all mail (hur hur). I don't thin
>> kI ever compromised agi for armour. Could be wrong though.
>>

> In my experiance, yes. Not that I'm too fussed about having to settle for
> the odd Spi / Sta Items :)

Having said that, I did find these on a trip out.
http://wow.allakhazam.com/item.html?witem=17754

WTF does a warrior want with AGI Leather?

The rogues have enough problems with some feral druid types going after
high AGI leather (which isn't all that good for them anyway) without
the mail and plate people poaching. The only way a hunter has any
business rolling on leather is if the group doesn't have any rogues or
druids that will use it.

If I ever find myself in a group with a hunter and a warrior arguing
about a leather item, I'm leaving immediately.

Btw, agility doesn't help feral druids all that much. They should be
looking for armor (esp. for dire bear), stamina, strength, attack power
(7 str = 14 attack power = 1 DPS) and increased chance of critical
strikes. Int & Spirit are also nice for popping out, healing, and
coming back down.

Regards,
Noal

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
> It's generally easier to find hunter-friendly stats (agility/stam and
agility/
> spirit combos, mainly) on leather, than it is on mail. Sure you can find
> nice agility items in mail-class armor, but the very best hunter stats
will
> be found on the fancier leather goods.
> -Marshall

No. Sorry, that's just delusional. I will laugh at any Hunter who is still
wearing leather at 50, much less 60. Get your cheap ass to the Auction
House. Hunter armor sets are all Mail, btw, so the "very best" hunter stats
are indeed found on mail.

In article <y_gje.4846$Ri4.4701@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote:

> "Abed" <XXshooy100@lycos.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I just got into an argument with a warrior in the Sunken Temple last night.
> > Blue leather bracers dropped (BOP)with high AGI and resistances and I
> > rolled
> > on the item and won them. A warrior called me a ninja looter because
> > hunters
> > wear mail and I didn't need them. Well they were way better than the
> > bracers I
> > had on so I felt justified in rolling. It got so bad the group had to break
> > up.
>
> Heh, warriors are even *less* likely (by far) than hunters to use leather-
> so why was that warrior all bent out of joint about it?
> -Marshall

Beacuse he wanted it, and he's a poor loser.

You run into that a lot these days. Most of the time, when I'm grouping,
I don't roll on anything, it's not worth the hassle. (Unless it's a cool
group, and we're doing need before greed)

"Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote in message

> "Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> It's generally easier to find hunter-friendly stats (agility/stam and
> agility/
>> spirit combos, mainly) on leather, than it is on mail. Sure you can find
>> nice agility items in mail-class armor, but the very best hunter stats
> will
>> be found on the fancier leather goods.
>> -Marshall
>>

> No. Sorry, that's just delusional. I will laugh at any Hunter who is still
> wearing leather at 50, much less 60. Get your cheap ass to the Auction
> House. Hunter armor sets are all Mail, btw, so the "very best" hunter
> stats
> are indeed found on mail.

It's true. 6 items of Beaststalker and the rest of my kit, all mail. 350
agi. And they all replaced mail items such as the Haubard chestpiece that
was +26 agi.

"Trooper" <news@trooperlooper.co.uk> wrote in message
> Julie Warden loved her ferret enough to say...
>> Group,
>>
>> Hunters have an option to learn to wear mail armor. Are there any
>> reasons, such as slowing one down, that you wouldn't choose this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Julie
>>

> Costs money to train and costs more money in upkeep, but apart from
> that no reason as far as I can tell.
>
> --
> Trooper
> usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)

Vanity also. You might like the way your old armor looks. *shrug*

"Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote in message

> No. Sorry, that's just delusional. I will laugh at any Hunter who is still
> wearing leather at 50, much less 60. Get your cheap ass to the Auction
> House. Hunter armor sets are all Mail, btw, so the "very best" hunter stats
> are indeed found on mail.

Laugh all you want.

Sure, you'll look like an idiot, but when has that ever stopped anyone on
usenet? :)

--

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:44:27 GMT, "Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> scribed into
> the ether:
> *shrug* My 60 hunter still has several pieces of leather. Laugh all you
> want. I do just fine.
>
>>Get your cheap ass to the Auction House.
>
> There is not a single item capable of being sold in the AH which would
> upgrade anything on my character.

What are these leather pieces that you are wearing?

Cheers!
David...

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

> >No. Sorry, that's just delusional. I will laugh at any Hunter who is still
> >wearing leather at 50, much less 60.
>
> *shrug* My 60 hunter still has several pieces of leather. Laugh all you
> want. I do just fine.

Same here. I'm wearing both leather and mail (even a piece of cloth xD)
I mainly focus on stats improvments and rarely take the armor rating in
consideration since my hunter rarely expose himself to close combat.

--
Romuald Brunet, ICQ 33033393, http://mog.online.fr

Remplacez nospam par mon prénom pour me contacter par email

On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:39:51 +1000, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:44:27 GMT, "Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> scribed into
>> the ether:
>> *shrug* My 60 hunter still has several pieces of leather. Laugh all you
>> want. I do just fine.
>>
>>>Get your cheap ass to the Auction House.
>>
>> There is not a single item capable of being sold in the AH which would
>> upgrade anything on my character.
>
>What are these leather pieces that you are wearing?

http://thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=6447
http://thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=7249

On Sun, 22 May 2005 15:48:24 +1000, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:39:51 +1000, David Carson
>> <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> scribed into the ether:
>>>What are these leather pieces that you are wearing?
>>
>> http://thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=6447
>> http://thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=7249
>
>Heh, my rogue wears a Ghostshroud.. hope there were no rogues or druids
>in the group when you looted it!

2 warriors, my hunter, a priest and a warlock.

I've seen several ghostshrouds get turned into shards by enchanters.