Extremely unstable connection

Mazrm

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hello,

I've had this problem for over a year ever since my adsl connection (just a normal wired connection) got upgraded from 8mbit to 24mbit. Basically the connection randomly becomes extremely unstable, giving me several disconnects per minute to the point of being completely useless... sometimes it only loses connection once per ten minutes or so and sometimes the connection is perfectly stable for even half a day. The adsl light blinks on and off even when no device is using the modem and the modem is the only device connected to the phone socket (no filters, splitters or phones).

Pictures of the noise margin/connection speed taken with routerstats when the connection is unstable: http://imgur.com/a/QoJKc . When it's stable it's a perfect line.

I've tried pretty much EVERY basic troubleshooting tip there is (switched cables, modem etc etc). On top of that the ISP tech guys have checked the line from inside the house and outside and apparently they found nothing wrong (although I think they measured it when it was actually stable).

I'm looking for some creative suggestions or ideas from experts now or something. I've opened the sockets up and checked that they're not damaged, I've checked pretty much all of the cables inside the house... I've tried pulling and messing around with them to see if it affects the connection but it doesn't seem to. I can't find any pattern to it... heavy traffic, wind, rain, night or day, other electrical devices in my home on or off... doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I've missed something simple though...

My house is next to a busy road and a gas station... could they cause interference on the line even though it's wired? Can a line fault cause an erratic yet sometimes perfectly stable noise margin like this? A loose connection that's barely holding on in the box where the phone cables go from the house maybe? Is trying a different adsl model worth trying even though the current one was provided by the ISP?

I'm at my wit's end here... I guess the last resort is telling them to go back to 8mbit connection and hoping it works.

Thanks.

Are you in Australia? I have the same problem in Adelaide because of bad weather and excess rain seep through the cracked insulation of connectors or wire and cause the dropout. It take several days of rain to build up the water level (depends on how much rainfall per day) and it stays there for few days even if it is not raining and dry out sometimes later. Due to the buildup and dry out effect, it causes lag between days of bad weather and days of dropout so the pattern is erratic and cannot be correlated with rainfall, but it is caused by it. Get your ISP to fix it. At least my ISP did.

Mazrm

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

I live in Finland so there isn't much rain... but the problem seems less severe during winters and worse during summers... and now that you mention it, the disconnects seem to have become even worse after it rained a few weeks back but I can't be sure about it. Also the tree branches growing around the cable have rubbed against the cables for a long time as they've grown so maybe it has damaged the cables after all. We cut down the branches but I don't think the tech guys actually checked the cables for some reason. I'm going to give them a call and tell them to check it out. Thanks.