How can I customize places bar for non-office applications?

(note: this is in addition to my previous posting, before I knew the correct
lingo)
Hello, I'm desperate to add some places to the open file dialog box in my
Macromedia applications. I found a link on the web to a site selling a book
which claims to have the answers, but I'd hate to be forced to buy a book
just for that (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-804).

If you could point me to a place at Microsoft where I could find out how to
customize my places bar I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa Pons
6 answers Last reply
More about customize places office applications

    If you are using XP-pro, you can do this thru group policy:

    User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer - > Common Open File Dialog -> Items displayed in places bar.

    If you're using XP Home, see here:

    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm

    Keith

    "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E4D026A-31DB-443A-96E2-3C426D3606CE@microsoft.com...
    > (note: this is in addition to my previous posting, before I knew the correct
    > lingo)
    > Hello, I'm desperate to add some places to the open file dialog box in my
    > Macromedia applications. I found a link on the web to a site selling a book
    > which claims to have the answers, but I'd hate to be forced to buy a book
    > just for that (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-804).
    >
    > If you could point me to a place at Microsoft where I could find out how to
    > customize my places bar I would be very grateful.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Lisa Pons

    Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
    have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
    box?

    "Keith Miller" wrote:

    > If you are using XP-pro, you can do this thru group policy:
    >
    > User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer - > Common Open File Dialog -> Items displayed in places bar.
    >
    > If you're using XP Home, see here:
    >
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm
    >
    > Keith
    >
    > "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E4D026A-31DB-443A-96E2-3C426D3606CE@microsoft.com...
    > > (note: this is in addition to my previous posting, before I knew the correct
    > > lingo)
    > > Hello, I'm desperate to add some places to the open file dialog box in my
    > > Macromedia applications. I found a link on the web to a site selling a book
    > > which claims to have the answers, but I'd hate to be forced to buy a book
    > > just for that (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-804).
    > >
    > > If you could point me to a place at Microsoft where I could find out how to
    > > customize my places bar I would be very grateful.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Lisa Pons

    What Applications? You don't see it in Notepad if you do File -> Open?

    Are you using XP Home or XP Pro?

    Keith

    "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05B5757F-632E-43E7-B9C8-6200BEEC9B93@microsoft.com...
    > Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
    > have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
    > box?
    >
    > "Keith Miller" wrote:
    >
    > > If you are using XP-pro, you can do this thru group policy:
    > >
    > > User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer - > Common Open File Dialog -> Items displayed in places bar.
    > >
    > > If you're using XP Home, see here:
    > >
    > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm
    > >
    > > Keith
    > >
    > > "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E4D026A-31DB-443A-96E2-3C426D3606CE@microsoft.com...
    > > > (note: this is in addition to my previous posting, before I knew the correct
    > > > lingo)
    > > > Hello, I'm desperate to add some places to the open file dialog box in my
    > > > Macromedia applications. I found a link on the web to a site selling a book
    > > > which claims to have the answers, but I'd hate to be forced to buy a book
    > > > just for that (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-804).
    > > >
    > > > If you could point me to a place at Microsoft where I could find out how to
    > > > customize my places bar I would be very grateful.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > Lisa Pons

    Yes they are there in notepad, but not in my Macromedia applications
    (Fireworks and Dreamweaver) which I'm using the most. Here is a screen shot
    of the open file dialog box in Fireworks:
    http://www.labelledesign.com/screenshot.htm

    "Keith Miller" wrote:

    > What Applications? You don't see it in Notepad if you do File -> Open?
    >
    > Are you using XP Home or XP Pro?
    >
    > Keith
    >

    > "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05B5757F-632E-43E7-B9C8-6200BEEC9B93@microsoft.com...
    > > Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
    > > have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
    > > box?
    > >
    > > "Keith Miller" wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you are using XP-pro, you can do this thru group policy:
    > > >
    > > > User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer - > Common Open File Dialog -> Items displayed in places bar.
    > > >
    > > > If you're using XP Home, see here:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm
    > > >
    > > > Keith

    I'm using Windows XP home edition version 5.1.

    "Lisa Pons" wrote:

    > Yes they are there in notepad, but not in my Macromedia applications
    > (Fireworks and Dreamweaver) which I'm using the most. Here is a screen shot
    > of the open file dialog box in Fireworks:
    > http://www.labelledesign.com/screenshot.htm
    >
    > "Keith Miller" wrote:
    >
    > > What Applications? You don't see it in Notepad if you do File -> Open?
    > >
    > > Are you using XP Home or XP Pro?
    > >
    > > Keith
    > >

    > > "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05B5757F-632E-43E7-B9C8-6200BEEC9B93@microsoft.com...
    > > > Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
    > > > have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
    > > > box?

    Hi Lisa,

    The mentioned Macromedia applications are using their own 'open' dialog boxes which have been
    programmed into the applications. Hence, they do not have the places bar.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > Yes they are there in notepad, but not in my Macromedia applications
    > (Fireworks and Dreamweaver) which I'm using the most. Here is a screen shot
    > of the open file dialog box in Fireworks:
    > http://www.labelledesign.com/screenshot.htm
    >
    > "Keith Miller" wrote:
    >
    >> What Applications? You don't see it in Notepad if you do File -> Open?
    >>
    >> Are you using XP Home or XP Pro?
    >>
    >> Keith
    >>

    >> "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
    >> > have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
    >> > box?

Configuration Microsoft Customization Office Windows XP