How can I customize places bar for non-office applications?

March 8, 2005 10:37:11 AM

(note: this is in addition to my previous posting, before I knew the correct
lingo)
Hello, I'm desperate to add some places to the open file dialog box in my
Macromedia applications. I found a link on the web to a site selling a book
which claims to have the answers, but I'd hate to be forced to buy a book
just for that (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-804).

If you could point me to a place at Microsoft where I could find out how to
customize my places bar I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa Pons
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:00:12 PM

If you are using XP-pro, you can do this thru group policy:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer - > Common Open File Dialog -> Items displayed in places bar.

If you're using XP Home, see here:

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm

Keith

"Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E4D026A-31DB-443A-96E2-3C426D3606CE@microsoft.com...
> (note: this is in addition to my previous posting, before I knew the correct
> lingo)
> Hello, I'm desperate to add some places to the open file dialog box in my
> Macromedia applications. I found a link on the web to a site selling a book
> which claims to have the answers, but I'd hate to be forced to buy a book
> just for that (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-804).
>
> If you could point me to a place at Microsoft where I could find out how to
> customize my places bar I would be very grateful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lisa Pons
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:23:02 PM

Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
box?

"Keith Miller" wrote:

> If you are using XP-pro, you can do this thru group policy:
>
> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer - > Common Open File Dialog -> Items displayed in places bar.
>
> If you're using XP Home, see here:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm
>
> Keith
>
> "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E4D026A-31DB-443A-96E2-3C426D3606CE@microsoft.com...
> > (note: this is in addition to my previous posting, before I knew the correct
> > lingo)
> > Hello, I'm desperate to add some places to the open file dialog box in my
> > Macromedia applications. I found a link on the web to a site selling a book
> > which claims to have the answers, but I'd hate to be forced to buy a book
> > just for that (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-804).
> >
> > If you could point me to a place at Microsoft where I could find out how to
> > customize my places bar I would be very grateful.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Lisa Pons

March 9, 2005 1:33:31 AM

What Applications? You don't see it in Notepad if you do File -> Open?

Are you using XP Home or XP Pro?

Keith

"Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05B5757F-632E-43E7-B9C8-6200BEEC9B93@microsoft.com...
> Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
> have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
> box?
>
> "Keith Miller" wrote:
>
> > If you are using XP-pro, you can do this thru group policy:
> >
> > User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer - > Common Open File Dialog -> Items displayed in places bar.
> >
> > If you're using XP Home, see here:
> >
> > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E4D026A-31DB-443A-96E2-3C426D3606CE@microsoft.com...
> > > (note: this is in addition to my previous posting, before I knew the correct
> > > lingo)
> > > Hello, I'm desperate to add some places to the open file dialog box in my
> > > Macromedia applications. I found a link on the web to a site selling a book
> > > which claims to have the answers, but I'd hate to be forced to buy a book
> > > just for that (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-804).
> > >
> > > If you could point me to a place at Microsoft where I could find out how to
> > > customize my places bar I would be very grateful.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Lisa Pons

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:33:32 AM

Yes they are there in notepad, but not in my Macromedia applications
(Fireworks and Dreamweaver) which I'm using the most. Here is a screen shot
of the open file dialog box in Fireworks:
http://www.labelledesign.com/screenshot.htm

"Keith Miller" wrote:

> What Applications? You don't see it in Notepad if you do File -> Open?
>
> Are you using XP Home or XP Pro?
>
> Keith
>

> "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05B5757F-632E-43E7-B9C8-6200BEEC9B93@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
> > have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
> > box?
> >
> > "Keith Miller" wrote:
> >
> > > If you are using XP-pro, you can do this thru group policy:
> > >
> > > User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer - > Common Open File Dialog -> Items displayed in places bar.
> > >
> > > If you're using XP Home, see here:
> > >
> > > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm
> > >
> > > Keith

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:33:33 AM

I'm using Windows XP home edition version 5.1.

"Lisa Pons" wrote:

> Yes they are there in notepad, but not in my Macromedia applications
> (Fireworks and Dreamweaver) which I'm using the most. Here is a screen shot
> of the open file dialog box in Fireworks:
> http://www.labelledesign.com/screenshot.htm
>
> "Keith Miller" wrote:
>
> > What Applications? You don't see it in Notepad if you do File -> Open?
> >
> > Are you using XP Home or XP Pro?
> >
> > Keith
> >

> > "Lisa Pons" <LisaPons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05B5757F-632E-43E7-B9C8-6200BEEC9B93@microsoft.com...
> > > Thank you, but I now realize that my non-office applications in fact don't
> > > have a place bat at all. Is there a way I can add one to the open file dialog
> > > box?

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:42:28 AM

Hi Lisa,

The mentioned Macromedia applications are using their own 'open' dialog boxes which have been
programmed into the applications. Hence, they do not have the places bar.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations