Sign in with
Your question

$700, new PC builder.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2012 7:34:27 PM

Hello! First off I suppose I should state that I'm VERY new to computers. Well, I play games pretty hardcore, but I'm now just getting into the tech stuff, and it's quite interesting. As of now I have a laptop, it simply isn't cutting it. So, I thought I'd build a PC. I have essentially no knowledge on what is good or bad to have though, so I asked a friend. He basically complied this list of materials and I have no idea if they are good or bad. My "gut feeling" is telling my that something is off. But since I know almost nothing, I don't know for sure. But I THINK the power supply that comes with this case does not have enough wattage/power. So basically, I'm asking for people to check this list and make sure it is compatible and that it will run. Possibly tell me some upgrades if they are cheap as I want to stay in the $800 or less range. One more thing...My friend offered to build my computer for me for $70. Should I do that or not? He says he has professional equipment, which I don't have. He also says it's quite difficult to do. Which is contradicting all of the guides I have seen online. So, should I risk it and do it myself+have fun or have a "pro" do it? Anyways...Here is the list of stuff. Thanks in advance :D 

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

PS: Sorry for the chunk of text.
PPS: If anyone has a really good guide for computers that is a must read/watch, send it my way please. I will be browsing this forum looking at other topics/stickies for help now.

EDIT: It seems people need to know what I want this rig for. Well, gaming. I want to be able to play every game on minimum settings with ZERO lag, if that's possible? Of course...Medium or Max settings are even better but I don't know if that is doable for my price range? I'll leave that to you experts :p 

More about : 700 builder

July 4, 2012 11:41:16 PM

He is wrong in both aspects. You only need a screwdriver and it is easy to do. For $10 less, get the Sapphire 6870. It performs better.

Also, that system is going to run games on high settings with zero lag. :) 
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 11:47:35 PM

azeem40 said:
He is wrong in both aspects. You only need a screwdriver and it is easy to do. For $10 less, get the Sapphire 6870. It performs better.

Also, that system is going to run games on high settings with zero lag. :) 

Okay. I shall build it myself when the time comes then. It shall be fun I hope :D 

Then...Why is Sapphire 6870 better? I'm looking at the 2(I should point out again I don't have hardly any knowledge) but the one I had says 2GB 256bit while the one you showed is showing 1GB 256bit. Sorry if it's a silly question.
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:51:07 PM

Won't make a difference unless you run at 2560x1440 or higher.
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:57:41 PM

The second revision you posted does improve some things on the first build.
The case and PSU in the first one are really "iffy" or in other words "Risks catching fire."

I would recommend swapping the FX CPU for something like an Intel i3-2120 though.

A lot of different guides do things in different ways when building a PC.
Some put the Ram and CPU in the motherboard before mounting inside the PC, and others do it after they mount it.
Here is a good guide that essentially gives an overview of all parts for someone completely new to this, to fully assembling the PC for yourself.

http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-build-a-computer-f...

Also, $70 is sort of a ripoff (no offense) for assembly of a PC.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:00:51 AM

The PSU is not one of Corsair's best, but by no means is it low quality. What is wrong with the case?
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:07:44 AM

@Azeem40, I don't plan on playing on that high of a resolution so I will go with the sapphire. Thanks!

@@Singingthroughthestorm, Not saying you are wrong, I simply like to know the "why". So, why is the Intel i3-2120 better? The AMD I listed is 3.6ghz quad core while the Intel is a 3.3ghz duel core. It's more expensive and only by a small bit so I might add that into my build with the money I "Saved" by downgrading the card to the Sapphire azeem40 mentioned.

You also said it improved some things. Are these improvements enough to not catch my rig on fire hah?

I will read that link you sent me sometime tonight. I thank you for it though. And yes I though $70 seemed a bit excessive but I didn't know what "standard" was. So I figured I'd just throw that into the thread and see what you guys thought. Looks like I'll be building it myself then :D 

@Azeem40, I think you are directing your last post to the guy above you? Well, the first rig I had suggested had a case with a built in 350W PSU. So yep. I think that's what you are wondering?
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:10:04 AM

Yes, I was. :p 
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:17:54 AM

geicojacob said:
@Azeem40, I don't plan on playing on that high of a resolution so I will go with the sapphire. Thanks!

@@Singingthroughthestorm, Not saying you are wrong, I simply like to know the "why". So, why is the Intel i3-2120 better? The AMD I listed is 3.6ghz quad core while the Intel is a 3.3ghz duel core. It's more expensive and only by a small bit so I might add that into my build with the money I "Saved" by downgrading the card to the Sapphire azeem40 mentioned.

You also said it improved some things. Are these improvements enough to not catch my rig on fire hah?

I will read that link you sent me sometime tonight. I thank you for it though. And yes I though $70 seemed a bit excessive but I didn't know what "standard" was. So I figured I'd just throw that into the thread and see what you guys thought. Looks like I'll be building it myself then :D 

@Azeem40, I think you are directing your last post to the guy above you? Well, the first rig I had suggested had a case with a built in 350W PSU. So yep. I think that's what you are wondering?

Azeem, nothing with the case itself really. The first build had the case and power supply together.
If this was an Antec case or something of the like that wouldn't worry me, but it was a Raidmax Case + PSU combo.

The improvements would be switching to the HAF Case (plenty of people are fans of it), and the CX PSU.
The CX line may not be the best, but they are solid PSU's that can power a fair amount. I currently own a CX430 V2. XD

The i3-2100 outperforms the Intel FX-4100 in various tasks. Intel's per clock and per core performance is much better than AMD's. So here is a benchmark illustrating my point for ya.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/G/N/324599/original/OC_Sky...

You can see the FX-4100 even at an OC of above 4GHZ that it isn't even near the i3 in this benchmark.
Now the FX-4100 does perform decently in some areas against the i3-2100, but the i3 is the best all around performer.
IN gaming the i3 wins in almost every thing though.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:19:55 AM

He does have the HAF and the CX.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:22:22 AM

quilciri said:
Filling this out will help us help you. You've already answered some of the questions here already.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

Also, do you live near a Microcenter?

Sorry about that I will do that now. But no I don't think I live near a Microcenter. The website has 23 locations and none in my state. If that is the right company you are talking about(not sure since I've never heard of it)?

Approximate Purchase Date: My B-day is on July 16th. So it will be by then unless things don't work out with my family in which case it will be postponed a couple of months. But as of now, July16th is the purchase date(probably a bit earlier since I want it to be at my house by then.)

Budget Range: MAX(rather not go up to the max) is $800.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the internet, movies maybe?

Parts Not Required: Mouse, keyboard, monitor. I will eventually upgrade these in the coming months when I make some more money, so I'll make a new thread for that perhaps-maybe not.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Newbie so really no preference. As I said above, I just want it to run nicely.

Overclocking: Not entirely sure what this is. But from my knowledge, No, I don't want overclocking.

SLI or Crossfire: No idea what this is. So I guess no

Monitor Resolution: Eek. Ummm. Not actually sure about that one yet since I will be upgrading in a couple of months. But by no means huge. 1600x1200 at the max probably.

Additional Comments: Run EVERY game on minimal settings with ZERO lag. Of course if my amount of money can make it to max settings with 0 lag, that is even better.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:26:12 AM

SingingThroughTheStorm said:
Azeem, nothing with the case itself really. The first build had the case and power supply together.
If this was an Antec case or something of the like that wouldn't worry me, but it was a Raidmax Case + PSU combo.

The improvements would be switching to the HAF Case (plenty of people are fans of it), and the CX PSU.
The CX line may not be the best, but they are solid PSU's that can power a fair amount. I currently own a CX430 V2. XD

The i3-2100 outperforms the Intel FX-4100 in various tasks. Intel's per clock and per core performance is much better than AMD's. So here is a benchmark illustrating my point for ya.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/G/N/324599/original/OC_Sky...

You can see the FX-4100 even at an OC of above 4GHZ that it isn't even near the i3 in this benchmark.
Now the FX-4100 does perform decently in some areas against the i3-2100, but the i3 is the best all around performer.
IN gaming the i3 wins in almost every thing though.

Thank you for the link and text. I shall add the I3 now, much appreciated :D  One more question about this. How did you find out the I3 was better? A google search or did something on the product description tell you? Again sorry if a silly question.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:29:54 AM

Benchmarks. Look up i3-2120 vs FX 4100.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:34:11 AM

azeem40 said:
Benchmarks. Look up i3-2120 vs FX 4100.

Alright thank you! Googled it and it so happened that the top result was a thread on this website. Good stuff! I know how to compare some things now so thank you again everyone!

Here is the updated build with the suggestions from you guys :

m
l
July 5, 2012 12:44:20 AM

geicojacob said:
Alright thank you! Googled it and it so happened that the top result was a thread on this website. Good stuff! I know how to compare some things now so thank you again everyone!

Here is the updated build with the suggestions from you guys :

WIth the intel CPU you will need to switch the motherboards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, I own the Intel i3-2100, so I recall looking up benchmarks from back then. XD
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:51:04 AM

WIth the intel CPU you will need to switch the motherboards:

Also, I own the Intel i3-2100, so I recall looking up benchmarks from back then. XD

Hello! Glad you told me to change the motherboard, I would have bought it and never known if it nobody said anything! So thanks. Now a question again hah. The MB you listed is cheaper than the one I had. Why is that? Is Intel just cheaper and better quality(in this situation) or is something changed? Will this perform better, worse, or the same?

I think I just noticed that when I update a newegg wishlist that is published I don't need to paste it everytime as the previous links I posted will update it automatically to the new "items". So sorry about that. But the list is updated again with the new motherboard!
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:58:37 AM

Quote:
Hello there, this are pretty much the best parts you can get for ~700$

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.20 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: OCZ 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $728.12

Thanks for posting! I will look into this more. I think it is too expensive since it's at almost $700 without a case and OS. So that'd bring it up to $850. Maybe I can take 1 or 2 of your pieces and weave it into mine though?

Hmm just thought of something. Completely newbie question but...How do I connect to the internet? Last time I bought a computer I just plugged it in, typed my WEP key in and I was connected. I'd imagine I'd have to buy some sort of adapter or something now though?

EDIT: Didn't see your build included a case. Well still, seems expensive. $828 with a processor and then shipping too.
m
l
July 5, 2012 1:05:32 AM

geicojacob said:
Hello! Glad you told me to change the motherboard, I would have bought it and never known if it nobody said anything! So thanks. Now a question again hah. The MB you listed is cheaper than the one I had. Why is that? Is Intel just cheaper and better quality(in this situation) or is something changed? Will this perform better, worse, or the same?

I think I just noticed that when I update a newegg wishlist that is published I don't need to paste it everytime as the previous links I posted will update it automatically to the new "items". So sorry about that. But the list is updated again with the new motherboard!

The AMD board is actually cheaper by $5

Intel Board:

Both boards are incredibly similar here though. Both boast near the same features, and
are both manufactured by ASrock. So really the main difference is one supports AMD, and the other supports Intel.

m
l
July 5, 2012 1:16:21 AM

The AMD board is actually cheaper by $5

Intel Board:

Both boards are incredibly similar here though. Both boast near the same features, and
are both manufactured by ASrock. So really the main difference is one supports AMD, and the other supports Intel.

Oh I see. I must have been looking at the wrong board on accident. Well alright. Thanks though!

Does my build need any other changes or do you guys think that it is good enough to order now? I'm not ordering for at least 2 days, but just wondering :p 
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:29:27 AM

Quote:
hmmm... well if you are going to play online then i suggest you to forget about wifi, it will be a lot better if you get a really long cable and plug it directly to your modem or router

btw.... check your messages, top right colum, i sent you something

Hmm that would work. I feel stupid I didn't think of that hah. My modem will literally be 20 feet max from my desktop. So I will do that. Of course I will need a cord, but other than that, is that all that I need for internet? And I will answer your message now :) 
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:34:19 AM

Quote:
OMG....he is an idiot, all he wants is your money, building a pc is hard? yes it is (Bull-zh1t) ITS THE EASIEST THING TO DO and you barely need a phillips screwdriver ,comon sense and this guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

Probably true hah. Well, I will take all of the guides I have gotten in the last 2 days and read over them all. That should be more than enough. Thank you :) 
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:55:08 AM

Quote:
btw.... i just saw an image that cought my eye....

]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8528/sinttulohcg.png

that fan shouldnt be placed like that, its blowing the how air from the CPU directly to the GPU, the CPU fan should always extrac the heat to the sides.

I'll try to remember that. I will also be checking this thread a lot to look for tips(this forum I mean). It looks really complicated from that picture though since I don't even know what my pieces will look like yet. But at the very least, I will remember that a fan shouldn't blow hot air to other crucial components.
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:58:11 AM

Quote:
btw.... i just saw an image that cought my eye....

]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8528/sinttulohcg.png

that fan shouldnt be placed like that, its blowing the how air from the CPU directly to the GPU, the CPU fan should always extrac the heat to the sides.

Unless he's got the fan reversed (unlikely), that setup is fine. I can't see the fan blades, but I doubt that's what is going on there. Most likely, it is blowing up through the heatsink, out the top of the case, which is good - actually slightly better convection than blowing out of the back.
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:10:54 AM

Quote:
Trust me, it is not complicated at all, just make sure you dont apply too much preasre to your components (except ram and gpu, those might requiere A LITTLE bit of preasure to fit in properly) and place the standoff in the case

Edit: double check everything.

I hear that if you mess up, everything basically dies. So maybe that is a myth? I'm going to end up buyng one of those anti static wristbands just to be safe. But...Do I need to set it up a certain way. Let me explain more...I have an old monitor, I'll get the specs on it later, but it's about 5 years old and a gateway. I'm going to buy a new LCD monitor later this year. Will I have to open the whole rig back up and change the cording when I change monitors because one is HD or LCD?
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:42:25 AM

Quote:
dude calm down, think positive, i know you have no idea of how to build a PC but there are a lot of guides that will help you (specially the one i linked + the videos)

dont buy a anti static wristband, its just a waste of money, make sure you touch something thats made of metal first and thats it! (avoid steping on carpets)

you dont have to do absolutly anything to your build when you buy the new monitor, simply use a diferent cable

Okay, I'll just be sure to watch all the videos/read the text everyone sent me.

Hmm. So just like, rub the inside of the case and that's it? Seems too easy. But alright. I will have to find a workplace for this since my entire house is carpeted. Except the bathroom. Hmm.

m
l
July 5, 2012 3:50:19 AM

Here's a strictly newegg build for you. This will max every game in existence @1600x1200, and will max most games at 1920x1080 at good framerates.

At resolutions of 1600x1200 and above, the graphics card will be the limiting factor, so although the i3 can outperform the stock-clocked AMD offerings in games, it doesn't matter in a $700-800 build because the video card will run out of juice long before either processor does.

Most other applications you're likely to use the computer for take better advantage of multithreading than games, so you're better off with four cores, even if each individual core is slightly weaker than those in the sandy/ivy bridge architecture.

Since you won't be overclocking, the 965 black will perform better for you than the 4100.

$100
OS

Win 7 home 64

$50
case

Rosewill Challenger

$60, $10 shipping
PSU

Seasonic M12II

$67, $8 shipping
Motherboard

Asrock 970DE3

$120
CPU

Phenom II 965 Black

$42
RAM

Crucial Balliistix 8gb (2x4) 1333

$240, $10 MIR
Video

HIS 7850

$70
HDD

WD Cav Blue 500gb

$17, $5 shipping
Optical

Samsung 22x

$776
$23 shipping
$10 Mail in rebates

$789 total.

Have fun!
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:54:43 AM

quilciri said:
Here's a strictly newegg build for you. This will max every game in existence @1600x1200, and will max most games at 1920x1080 at good framerates.

At resolutions of 1600x1200 and above, the graphics card will be the limiting factor, so although the i3 can outperform the stock-clocked AMD offerings in games, it doesn't matter in a $700-800 build because the video card will run out of juice long before either processor does.

Most other applications you're likely to use the computer for take better advantage of multithreading than games, so you're better off with four cores, even if each individual core is slightly weaker than those in the sandy/ivy bridge architecture.

Since you won't be overclocking, the 965 black will perform better for you than the 4100.

$100
OS

Win 7 home 64

$50
case

Rosewill Challenger

$60, $10 shipping
PSU

Seasonic M12II

$67, $8 shipping
Motherboard

Asrock 970DE3

$120
CPU

Phenom II 965 Black

$42
RAM

Crucial Balliistix 8gb (2x4) 1333

$240, $10 MIR
Video

HIS 7850

$70
HDD

WD Cav Blue 500gb

$17, $5 shipping
Optical

Samsung 22x

$776
$23 shipping
$10 Mail in rebates

$789 total.

Have fun!

I don't know much at all still, so I'll have to compare prices and look at every tiny detail on those pieces you listed to see if they are good. Not that I don't trust you, I just like to check things. Thanks for your post though ;) 

(Some of your links are broke, but no big deal, I can just google what you gave me. Looks like some of the things are out of stock though.) None the less, I will look at the pieces and compare them to my current build, and probably switch some things out. THanks again :D 

m
l
July 5, 2012 3:59:58 AM

Broken links are fixed. apologies.
Odd; even though those are the correct links, Newegg still redirects you to the front page for the challenger and the 965 black.

Everything is in stock; at least in the U.S. it is :) 
m
l
July 5, 2012 4:08:35 AM

quilciri said:
Broken links are fixed. apologies.
Odd; even though those are the correct links, Newegg still redirects you to the front page for the challenger and the 965 black.

Everything is in stock; at least in the U.S. it is :) 

More of the links are correct atleast. So thanks. But yeah, they are in stock sorry. I googled the items when the links didn't work and must have clicked one of the wrong google results and it pulled up a different item than the one you listed.
m
l
July 5, 2012 4:45:45 AM

Get rid of that GTX 560 for a GTX 560Ti or GTX 470. And if you have some extra $$$ go with the GTX 570.
And definetily get a new PSU from Corsair or other well-known brands! I would reach for a 600-700 watt PSU:) 
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:43:45 AM

hunterpostit88 said:
Get rid of that GTX 560 for a GTX 560Ti or GTX 470. And if you have some extra $$$ go with the GTX 570.
And definetily get a new PSU from Corsair or other well-known brands! I would reach for a 600-700 watt PSU:) 

The 560ti is a good card, but the 570 is way overpriced (480 = 570 for $50 cheaper). Also, since EVGA is selling a 480 for $210, the 560ti is outmatched at that price as well.

600-700 watts is a complete waste, his power draw will be way under the PSU's max efficiency window (50-75%). He's not using SLI/Xfire, so unless he uses a power-hog card, his usage at full load won't top 350w. With the 7850 in my build, full load is at 300w.

Corsair doesn't make their own PSU's. Good corsair PSU's are made by Seasonic. Crappy Corsair PSU's (e.g. CX series) are made by CWT.
m
l
July 5, 2012 6:28:33 AM

Best answer selected by geicojacob.
m
l
July 5, 2012 8:10:58 AM

I thought you said you didn't live near a microcenter? Some of the parts in frozonic's build come from microcenter, and things like the processor are in store only.

m
l
July 5, 2012 8:18:59 AM

If you DO live near a microcenter, you should get both the processor and the motherboard from microcenter, as they have bundle deals that can't be beat.

You can get an i5 3570k and an AsRock H77M-ITX for the same price as the 3450 + MSI Z77A-G43 in frozonic's build :non: 
m
l
July 5, 2012 10:04:36 AM

OS?
m
l
!